Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 10:05 AM

15 posts, read 21,306 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

We are planning to move to the Charleston area from Pennsylvania. All of our kids (14,12,9) were born in Virginia and we miss the southern charm, friendly people, and fabulous weather. We love the character of Charleston and all the outdoor fun the area provides (sailing, gardening, and tennis/pickle). All our children love tennis and we are looking for a place in which they can play outside nearly year-round in a daily after-school academy-type setting or simply a facility with more/better access to tennis coaching than our current city can offer.

There seem to be so many wonderful areas that I'm finding it hard to narrow down our search for where to live. I'd love a thriving youth tennis scene and I'm not sure if that is just all over the Charleston metro -- or if certain areas are better than others. I think Daniel Island's tennis scene looks pretty perfect, but in this market, I think we are priced out. I hope to spend around $700k...so I don't think that would get us a shack in DI.

We love small-town charm and were wondering about Summerville, but as boaters, not sure if that is the best place. Community water access is certainly not a deal breaker as I'm happy to hop in a car, and first priorities would be good schools and happy tennis kiddos. A location with character where people value aesthetics -- or a soul (something our current city seems to lack) would also be a plus.

Moving down from a very snowy and grumpy town in PA, I'm dreaming of a place I can drive a golf cart to my kids' school, join a garden club, host cocktails on my porch with friendly neighbors, and play pickleball while my kids play tennis. Am I making this up or does this exist in the Charleston area? Any particular neighborhoods we should hone in on?

Thank you so much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2022, 11:06 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
MtP or DI are your best bets.

Old 10-17-2022, 11:39 AM

What would you say are some golf cart-friendly areas of Mount Pleasant? And any scoop on Wando or other local public high schools? Appreciate your speedy response!

Old 10-17-2022, 11:41 AM

Wando High is traditionally a top 5 school in the state.

Golf cart neighborhoods are all over MtP. Anything north of the IOP Connector has neighborhoods where people drive golf carts all around the area without benefit of an actual golf course.

Old 10-17-2022, 01:17 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Snee Farm CC has a very active tennis program. One can own their own golf cart and drive throughout Snee Farm with no restrictions. Their swim team is also very active. One of the more affordable private golf clubs in the area. Just one thing to be aware of. Some of he homes in Snee Farm are older/dated and might well need some remodeling other then that, a great neighborhood.

Old 10-17-2022, 01:18 PM

Look at the area near Lucy Beckham High School. Snee Farms isn’t new*, but there are nice houses to be found there. Close to LTP and MtP Tennis Center.

*johngolf will stop by soon to make his usual joke about Snee.

Old 10-17-2022, 02:34 PM

253 posts, read 190,433 times
Since some have this insane fascination with driving golf carts in places besides a golf course, best to know the rules of the road: https://scdps.sc.gov/ohsjp/DrivinginSC/golf-cart-law

Old 10-17-2022, 03:38 PM

Haha -- thank you for the rules of the road. I think golf cart life just makes me feel like I'm on a perpetual vacation. I love older homes actually, and remodeling, so that would be preferable! LTP tennis looks pretty awesome. My kids would be in heaven. I've also heard of Snee Farm and some amazing players out of their too.

Is Lucy Beckham HS brand new? Looks gorgeous. Thank you so much. All the info is invaluable. I've been to the area many times but never with the intent to move there. Going in a few weeks to dig in deep!!

Old 10-17-2022, 06:48 PM

People in MtP drive golf carts in all kinds of crazy places. Sure there are laws. I’ve never seen anything enforced.

Old 10-17-2022, 08:45 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
People in MtP drive golf carts in all kinds of crazy places. Sure there are laws. I’ve never seen anything enforced.
I'm starting to see them all over Summerville now. Especially nexton and canebay areas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area