Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2023, 11:32 AM

4 posts, read 2,419 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to the Charleston area in January. She accepted a position in downtown Charleston. I will be starting a new job at Parris Island. I am curious if anyone makes the commute from Charleston to the Parris Island area on a daily basis? Yes I do realize it is about 75 miles (I commute around 50 now).

Are there any places more centralized places to live?

It looks like commute times may be just as long for my wife with the traffic going in and out of Charleston at rush hour times.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2023, 12:07 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,954,991 times
Assuming you live in northern West Ashley then it's basically a straight shot along HWY 17 for both of you. As far as time goes i've got no idea but it really wouldn't surprise me if commute time is somewhat similar.

Old 11-07-2023, 12:40 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Your's to PI will be dramatically easier. The closer you get to PI, the worse it's going to be for her.

Old 11-07-2023, 01:26 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Your's to PI will be dramatically easier. The closer you get to PI, the worse it's going to be for her.
I'd agree with that though your drive to PI will still take longer. Even coming from around Bees Ferry and 17 her drive would probably be less than 45 min. Albeit, they won't be a pleasant 45 minutes but still a lot shorter than to PI. What time would you be leaving for PI? If not during rush hr, Johns Island might be an option but you won't want to go through the Main and 17 intersection during rush hr.

If your wife can shift her drive in time just a little off rush hr, it gets much better on 17 or 61 going into town. When I used to drive my daughter to school downtown from Folly Beach, we would go in early and eat breakfast downtown to avoid rush hour traffic.

Old 11-07-2023, 06:06 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
It's over a hundred miles to PI from Charleston. There's no commute from anywhere in Charleston to downtown that would take longer than his drive to PI, you guys are crazy.

To be honest,I think you guys played yourselves by taking jobs 150 miles apart. There is no middle town worth living in, except maybe Ravenel, but that still leaves both of you with miserable commutes.

Old 11-07-2023, 07:33 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
It's over a hundred miles to PI from Charleston. There's no commute from anywhere in Charleston to downtown that would take longer than his drive to PI, you guys are crazy.

To be honest,I think you guys played yourselves by taking jobs 150 miles apart. There is no middle town worth living in, except maybe Ravenel, but that still leaves both of you with miserable commutes.
According to Google, it's actually 75 miles from downtown charleston to PI. It's no doubt a long commute from WA, but it's not 100 miles.

Old 11-07-2023, 08:05 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
As LH said, MUSC to PI is exactly 75 miles. Driving the opposite direction of traffic, OP will be able to make great time. On any given day, traffic into MUSC can be a total nightmare. YMMV.

Old 11-08-2023, 06:03 AM

303 posts, read 237,078 times
Agreed with JacksonPanther; that's a tough situation regardless of where you live or which way you're commuting.

Old 11-08-2023, 07:30 AM

129 posts, read 169,945 times
I'd lock it down somewhere around Ravenel, Hollywood, Megget.

Old 11-08-2023, 01:29 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,463 times
I would move closer to my wife job. Your commute will be easy. Hers will involve more traffic during peak times. During peak times for you will be the opposite of where traffic is going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area