Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 07:34 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,209 times

Advertisements

The Charleston Gazette | Boulevard building to serve home, work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 11:49 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,093,600 times
This will be good, as it is only a short walk from Capitol Street, Haddad RFP, and of course is right across the street from our awesome riverfront. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:56 AM

The Charleston Gazette | Charleston design firm to change locations

Old 01-26-2015, 09:25 AM

15 posts, read 21,716 times
Until there is industry that brings in young professionals to Charleston, there will be no urban renewal. Sure, a few restaurants will pop up like Pies & Pints, but no one with money will want to invest until there's actually a reason to be downtown.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDonthemind View Post
Until there is industry that brings in young professionals to Charleston, there will be no urban renewal. Sure, a few restaurants will pop up like Pies & Pints, but no one with money will want to invest until there's actually a reason to be downtown.
That is true, but I believe that the era of youth led urban renewal in Charleston is approaching. This young adult generation is eager to use their gifts and abilities to find creative ways to revive places.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:04 PM

The Charleston Gazette | Collaborative spaces, open minds: Accounting firm rethinks office space

Old 02-03-2015, 05:54 AM

The Charleston Gazette | CURA bill heads to state Home Rule board

The Bill would place 2 city council members on the CURA Board in hopes by the city to eliminate "closed-door" deals.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:29 AM

82 posts, read 120,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
That is true, but I believe that the era of youth led urban renewal in Charleston is approaching. This young adult generation is eager to use their gifts and abilities to find creative ways to revive places.
It's kind of funny that I read this thread this morning. Just last week, I was at a work conference in Columbus. Over the past 15-20 years or so, the city has made a concerted push to encourage construction of condos and lofts which are (and this is key) affordable for young professionals. We stayed near the Short North district, where a bunch of bars, restaurants, shops, and other services have popped up in a walkable radius around condo/loft developments to create a really neat, vibrant area.

Speaking as a young-ish (29 year old) professional, there's no reason in the world that Charleston can't be similar. Charleston already has good things going for it in terms of atmosphere (arts, music, restaurants, etc) but needs that last little push to consistently keep people downtown after 5:00. What few condos exist now in downtown Charleston are beautiful and a decent start down that road, but are still too expensive to get a solid foothold with folks in their 20s and 30s.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnilmo View Post
It's kind of funny that I read this thread this morning. Just last week, I was at a work conference in Columbus. Over the past 15-20 years or so, the city has made a concerted push to encourage construction of condos and lofts which are (and this is key) affordable for young professionals. We stayed near the Short North district, where a bunch of bars, restaurants, shops, and other services have popped up in a walkable radius around condo/loft developments to create a really neat, vibrant area.

Speaking as a young-ish (29 year old) professional, there's no reason in the world that Charleston can't be similar. Charleston already has good things going for it in terms of atmosphere (arts, music, restaurants, etc) but needs that last little push to consistently keep people downtown after 5:00. What few condos exist now in downtown Charleston are beautiful and a decent start down that road, but are still too expensive to get a solid foothold with folks in their 20s and 30s.
Ding ding ding! And that reflects the pent-up demand for this kind of housing. And it makes sense that they're expensive. Those developers who have undertaken renovations (e.g. Pison) are the only ones doing it and until it's demonstrated that the market is indeed there, the first ones will be expensive to get the best bang for their buck. One factor inhibiting further development is population, obviously, but a subset of that is the lack of people with capital to pursue these ventures. If you want affordable housing not as a result of government/employer subsidies, then it will take a dedicated investor to build/renovate and take on the risk associated with a low ROI in the short term. However, once others see that these are desirable options in the Charleston market, they'll join the developing fray, thereby adding competition and stock, driving down prices. And I think we're approaching the tipping point for this.

*I should say, however, that I've never taken an economics class other than the curricula offered in engineering, so I could be way off. If anyone else who knows markets and economic forces better than I do want to add anything else, please go ahead!

Old 02-12-2015, 08:49 AM

Charleston Daily Mail | Charleston Area Alliance plans more improvements for downtown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston