Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 11:36 AM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times

Advertisements

It has been a while since we have talked about the status of the new schools along the Elk River. Land has finally been purchased for the new High School along Frame Rd. in Elkview (between US 119 and interstate).
https://www.wsaz.com/content/news/Vi...507739681.html

Hoover is expected to be completed by mid-2021 (which I'm not holding my breath).

Here is a link to some videos and pictures of what the school will look like. It is nice, but it is nothing over the top.
https://wchstv.com/news/local/videos...er-high-school

The new Clendenin/Bridge consolidated Elementary School will be located along US 119 just north of the old Hoover site.

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/e...7300f45a2.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 01:36 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,139 times
It's taken way too long to get this project going.

Old 10-22-2019, 03:39 PM

FEMA has given the final green light for the construction of the new Herbert Hoover High School complex. Supposedly they want to start working on it before the end of the year. The projected competition date is Fall 2022. That would mean 6 classes worth of Elk River students would have waited for this building while having classes in portables. That’s if they can stick to construction deadlines. I doubt it.

WV MetroNews Herbert Hoover school replacement project gets 'Notice to Proceed' from FEMA - WV MetroNews

Old 10-22-2019, 09:49 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,070,678 times
It’s flat out ridiculous that it has taken this long to get construction started on this new facility. Had this been in a hurricane affected area of the south or sunbelt, Elk River kids would have already been in a brand new school comparable to Buckingham Palace

Old 10-23-2019, 03:17 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,712 times
Looks like they will have a nice school to attend and in a more logical location given that so many come up from the Pinch area. That has been about the one and only growth zone in the Elk River area for a while. That being said, I agree with the others. It's been over three years and not even a patch of ground broken.

Old 01-22-2020, 10:59 AM

Ground was "broken" today on the new Herbert Hoover. Technically site work has been going on for a couple weeks, and they have already moved a bunch of dirt. Hopefully there won't be any major construction delays from this point on. The hope is for the school to open in time for the 2022 Fall semester.

No news on the new Clendenin/Bridge Elementary School. That is another project that needs to get going.

It will be 4 years since the flood this June!!!

Old 11-20-2020, 08:06 AM

KCS awards contracts for the construction of the new building. If you have driven by the site, you can tell that the work that has been done is incredible. Completely remarkable from what it originally looked like to what it is now. It is still sad that we are four years post flood and the building still hasn't started yet, but that's typical. I know when it is all said and done, it will be a huge boost for Elkview, Pinch, Clendenin, etc...

Total budgeted is $67.4 million divided between several companies doing various parts.

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/e...17ba28631.html

Old 11-23-2020, 10:31 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,880,510 times
If you build it, they will come. I do believe the new schools will open up development of businesses and housing units in the areas out of the flood plain.

It is ridiculous it has taken this long to build this school and the others destroyed by the 2016 flood both in Kanawha and Nicholas Counties.

Bureaucracy is absolutely horrible!

Old 11-24-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
If you build it, they will come. I do believe the new schools will open up development of businesses and housing units in the areas out of the flood plain.

It is ridiculous it has taken this long to build this school and the others destroyed by the 2016 flood both in Kanawha and Nicholas Counties.

Bureaucracy is absolutely horrible!
Yes it is! This is proof of why more government is never the correct solution.

The area is already a nice hidden gem of a bedroom community. Hoover has also scored very high in recent years and has consistently be ranked among West Virginia's best high schools. Having a brand new facility, mixed in with a good reputation will make the Elk River school district a magnet for people interested in moving to the area. I can see plenty of new housing developments along with the proposed retail development that will start construction this spring.

Old 12-04-2020, 12:50 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Yes it is! This is proof of why more government is never the correct solution.

The area is already a nice hidden gem of a bedroom community. Hoover has also scored very high in recent years and has consistently be ranked among West Virginia's best high schools. Having a brand new facility, mixed in with a good reputation will make the Elk River school district a magnet for people interested in moving to the area. I can see plenty of new housing developments along with the proposed retail development that will start construction this spring.
It truly is amazing the relatively quick turnaround in terms of education scoring that has occurred at Hoover. When I was in Jr. High and High School (mid- late 90s), Hoover was known as one of the schools you wanted to avoid if at all possible. Seems like a change in leadership and new teachers have made a world of difference. It's great that they will finally have a nice new school to attend as well - emphasis on finally! This has taken forever to get going. The new location makes more sense in my opinion as well given the large attendance area that Hoover has. I get why the school was initially built in the old location because at the time there was a lot more population in the Clendenin area versus Elkview and Pinch which ironically despite being closer to Charleston was much more rural in the 60s. Now days it is a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston