Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2007, 11:53 AM

31 posts, read 139,139 times

Advertisements

Hello
I just went to contract on a new Shea home in Lawson.
I have my design studio appointment in 2 weeks which includes low volt specialty options. I currently own a Bose lifestyle 48 DVD system.
What suggestions do you have on prewiring, adding more speakers etc. to my new home before it is completed.
I would like to have surround sound in my Living room and the bonus room and also have speakers in other rooms and outside deck.
Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 12:01 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
I am not sure exactly what your question is. Is it how to or is it should you?

We are finishing off our 950 sq. ft. basement this year and my husband has already pre-wired our entertainment area for surround sound before putting up the drywall.

Dawn

Old 08-10-2007, 12:41 PM

Well to set up my Bose lifestyle 48 DVD sytem in one room is simple enough. I will need prewiring in the walls for the front and rear speakers.
To expand this system into other areas of the home can be done through wires with a second amplifier and additional bose powered speakers. They also have a wireless system that can expand up to 14 rooms.
What I am asking is if someone is familiar with these bose systems help me decide which way to go and does it pay to have the builder do all sorts of prewiring when I can expand wireless.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:01 PM

55 posts, read 222,372 times
First, junk the Bose. It's unmusical and overpriced. Try to find standard audio specs on it like THD and frequency response. T'ain't there. And there's a reason for that. Take this opportunity to dump it on eBay or Craigslist and get something of quality. Please.

Now, find out from Shea what their policy is on wiring before drywall. Many big builders have their own subcontractors to do that, and your contract may say that nobody can do work on the house other than their people until closing. Obviously you may get a cool project manager who will let you do your own thing but prepared to deal with Shea's approved sub.

Anything that you THINK you might want in-wall wiring for, do it now. It's cheaper, easier, and cleaner-looking to do it during construction than after.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:24 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,725,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Island Blues View Post
Hello
I just went to contract on a new Shea home in Lawson.
I have my design studio appointment in 2 weeks which includes low volt specialty options. I currently own a Bose lifestyle 48 DVD system.
What suggestions do you have on prewiring, adding more speakers etc. to my new home before it is completed.
I would like to have surround sound in my Living room and the bonus room and also have speakers in other rooms and outside deck.
Thanks for your help.
As far as wiring, do at least one Cat 5e outlet in the living rm, bonus room and the bedrooms. If you can, try to get the contractor to place at least two cable outlets in each room on differents sides of the room. Trash the Bose systems and get yourself a surround sound reciever that will allow you to connect 6 or 7 speakers. Sounds like you're going to do in-wall speaks round the house so you'll need a surround sound reciever that will allow you to control multiple zones b/c your speakers will have to be setup in zones. You'll most likely need a surround sound reciever for the living rm/outdoor deck zone and one for the upstairs/other rooms.

I don't know anything about Bose systems 'cause I don't use the stuff. In my townhome I'm running a B&K AVR 507 powering 6 Klispch speakers and 3 subs. I have a dvd player but I don't use it b/c I record HD movies off of HBO, Showtime and Starz that I haven't seen. My music is supplied to my surround speakers via the Directv HR20 Hi-Def DVR which is connected via ethernet cable to my router upstairs which also connected to the computer upstairs that is connected to my router.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,788 times
I can't answer your questions, but can make a recommendation for a great home theater company - Integrated Home Solutions. I've used them several times and have recommended them to others. Their website is Integrated Home Solutions, Home theaters and whole Home automation in Statesville, NC. Jeff Harrington is the owner.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:28 PM

Thank you all for your advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: