Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 12:09 PM

16 posts, read 39,894 times

Advertisements

Any one have a brand of ham (and where to purchase), that actually tastes like ham? We came from Ohio and used to get an Amish ham there, and this is our first Christmas here. Don't care for sweet glazes, so no Heavenly Ham or Honey Baked. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 12:22 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,994,559 times
Aldi usually has some good prices on spiral ham - the glaze is added on the side so you can add it if you want. These are hams you need to cook though.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:41 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,197,835 times
Every grocery store sells bone-in country hams. You gotta soak 'em before cooking. Stick some cloves and pineapple slices on it. Have it every Christmas.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:34 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,684,004 times
You might try Trader Joe's. They have uncured hams, which might taste more like you are used to. Not sure if the glaze is on them already, or in a packet, but it might be worth a trip.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:30 PM

2,368 posts, read 4,877,098 times
I came from near Pittsburgh and I'm looking for the same thing! Those Amish hams are hard to beat. Too bad it would cost too much to have one shipped, if they would do it at all.

I'm going to try The Meat House on Rea Road and see what they have. I tried one from Sam's Club last year that my SIL recommended and didn't like it at all. Too salty and fat.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:57 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,633,179 times
You want ham that tastes like ham? Try Jon Hamm's John Ham. The perfect snack for while you are in the loo.

Hulu - Saturday Night Live: Jon Hamm's John Ham

Old 12-07-2011, 11:43 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,543,889 times
NC is big on ham and I have eaten every type of ham and pork on the planet, from cured ham to BBQ to Prosciutto. So I am totally confused about what you all are asking about. What is this ham you can't find? Can you link something so I can figure out what you are referring to? Is it a curing process? A preparation process? A glaze?

Old 12-07-2011, 11:55 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,719,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
NC is big on ham and I have eaten every type of ham and pork on the planet, from cured ham to BBQ to Prosciutto. So I am totally confused about what you all are asking about. What is this ham you can't find? Can you link something so I can figure out what you are referring to? Is it a curing process? A preparation process? A glaze?
Ani, I wasn't sure, either, but googled Amish ham. Do the Mennonites in the Triad sell a less-salty smoked ham? Based on what I came up with, I think that that is what the search is for.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:06 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,543,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ani, I wasn't sure, either, but googled Amish ham. Do the Mennonites in the Triad sell a less-salty smoked ham? Based on what I came up with, I think that that is what the search is for.
It appears it is a salted, smoked ham but that still just doesn't tell me much. I read that you need to soak the hams on one site . . . on another, it gave only a glazing recipe using oranges and cloves.

So I still have no clue what is being discussed here, lol.

I have mennonite friends w/ farms and I have never seen a particular ham sold or discussed anywhere, so I don't think so . . . very puzzled.

These folks in PA mention their ham, but only say it is "smoked" so still just not sure what we are looking for.

http://www.stoltzfusmeats.com/stoltzfus-meats-deli.php

I finally saw a picture of an amish ham and it looked just like a cured ham to me . . . must cure it, soak it, then smoke it . . . ???

Old 12-07-2011, 12:55 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,719,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It appears it is a salted, smoked ham but that still just doesn't tell me much. I read that you need to soak the hams on one site . . . on another, it gave only a glazing recipe using oranges and cloves.

So I still have no clue what is being discussed here, lol.

I have mennonite friends w/ farms and I have never seen a particular ham sold or discussed anywhere, so I don't think so . . . very puzzled.

These folks in PA mention their ham, but only say it is "smoked" so still just not sure what we are looking for.

Stoltzfus Meats & Deli, Fresh Smoked Meats Bologna, Sausage Deli Counter Intercourse PA Lancaster County

I finally saw a picture of an amish ham and it looked just like a cured ham to me . . . must cure it, soak it, then smoke it . . . ???
Well, I didn't have any more luck than you, but finally, I looked at this. Amish Ham? - General Chowhounding Topics - Chowhound

I never heard of this, & I lived 10 miles from Philly for over 40 years. Now this might be a product that is brought into town in small quantities, at the Reading Terminal Market. It may be something that is more prevalent in certain families & maybe most of those families have moved beyond Lancaster County. It's a puzzle to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: