Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 12:53 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times

Advertisements

Convenience stores came up in another thread.

Which do you like or dislike & why? Is there a convenience store that you wish was in the Charlotte area? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 01:18 PM

777 posts, read 2,568,384 times
Wish we had Sheetz.

Reasons:
Great selection of items w/o the 100% markup.
MTO food is great. You can order while you pump!
Not afraid to eat thier food at 2am.
Gas prices are always the lowest around.

You wouldn't catch me eating at a convience store in the Charlotte area if my life depedended on it. Growing up in PA, we had tons of convience stores that made real editable food like Sheetz and Wa Wa.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:33 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
I will second InSouthPark. I don't go in any of the convenience stores here unless I am really thirsty while filling up. I certainly wouldn't eat at any of them. Am I really missing anything here?

Now where I grew up in PA was more rural so we didn't have Wawa or Sheetz, each market was privately owned and had it's own 'flavor'. Some of them had deli's or milk shake machines but no two were alike. You might have to get your hoagie and one and drive down the road a ways to get your milk shake...LOL.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:49 PM

187 posts, read 549,436 times
I'll third the Sheetz and Wawa suggestions, being a native Virginian.

I would also throw in Thornton's. They're mostly in Kentucky/Ohio/etc., but they're very similar to the previous two.

I hate how one or two companies are basically keeping the entire Charlotte convenience market on lockdown. At least I can still go to Statesville and get my pretzel burgers from Sheetz occasionally.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:52 PM

184 posts, read 467,426 times
Common Market is my fave. I still can't believe we don't have THE convenience store - 711.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:22 PM

716 posts, read 2,158,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEABO14 View Post
Common Market is my fave. I still can't believe we don't have THE convenience store - 711.
Oh, how I miss Slurpees.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:38 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,681,734 times
With two carseats to do and undo each time I enter/exit the car, I haven't seen the inside of a convenience store in quite a while. However, when I had such a luxury , I enjoyed PDQ and Sheetz.
Maybe since there's a Target on every other corner here, convenience stores aren't as necessary? Just a thought...

Old 05-05-2008, 03:09 PM

330 posts, read 1,036,468 times
Now this is a topic I am passionate about, as I live on fountain soft drinks

Convenience stores in the Charlotte area are terrible. Awful. They are usually tiny little shacks that accompany gas stations. Many of them have a couple of homeless guys stationed out front to harass people for change or inside staring at customers (sometimes mumbling to themselves or laughing for no apparent reason). I swear I was followed around by one guy in a convenience store off of Independence who kept saying "A man ain't nothing but a man and a woman ain't nothing but a woman." There may have been some wisdom in that, but it was lost on me because all I wanted to do was mix Diet Cherry Coke and Tropicana Lemonade in one really large cup, but was dismayed to find that the Diet Coke was flat, the lemonade was actually water and the cups were filthy.

Oh, what I would give for a Super Big Gulp on a hot, humid afternoon!

When I was in Atlanta, there were no 7-11s either, but that pain was remedied by the presence of Quick Trip (QT) which is a more than adequate replacement.

Show me a large, sparkling clean, amazingly well lit 24 hour convenience store with way more fountain soft drink options than I will ever use, a gigantic selection of salty things that are bad for you, crystal clean glass cases with heat lamps over hot dogs and other tasty treats all rolling around on those spinny tubes, slurpee machines with a wide variety of fun flavors and multiple pots of fresh coffee ... and I will show you Paradise!

Old 05-05-2008, 03:25 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,681,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post
Now this is a topic I am passionate about, as I live on fountain soft drinks

Convenience stores in the Charlotte area are terrible. Awful. They are usually tiny little shacks that accompany gas stations. Many of them have a couple of homeless guys stationed out front to harass people for change or inside staring at customers (sometimes mumbling to themselves or laughing for no apparent reason). I swear I was followed around by one guy in a convenience store off of Independence who kept saying "A man ain't nothing but a man and a woman ain't nothing but a woman." There may have been some wisdom in that, but it was lost on me because all I wanted to do was mix Diet Cherry Coke and Tropicana Lemonade in one really large cup, but was dismayed to find that the Diet Coke was flat, the lemonade was actually water and the cups were filthy.

Oh, what I would give for a Super Big Gulp on a hot, humid afternoon!

When I was in Atlanta, there were no 7-11s either, but that pain was remedied by the presence of Quick Trip (QT) which is a more than adequate replacement.

Show me a large, sparkling clean, amazingly well lit 24 hour convenience store with way more fountain soft drink options than I will ever use, a gigantic selection of salty things that are bad for you, crystal clean glass cases with heat lamps over hot dogs and other tasty treats all rolling around on those spinny tubes, slurpee machines with a wide variety of fun flavors and multiple pots of fresh coffee ... and I will show you Paradise!
I was you 5 years ago...ah, life before kids...
I am now relegated to drive-thru fast food for my bubbly caffeine fix. I so miss the $0.69 giant drink from 7-11. Or, dating myself a bit, from High's dairy store (MD).

Old 05-05-2008, 03:39 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post
ROFL, I love this decription! It's so vivid! The funny part is, I think that those guys vacation in Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: