Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 08:33 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,287,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirl1947 View Post
i went to tn last year and spent 4 mo there and found only liars and thieves and crooks of all kinds and they do it with a smile
I think that perhaps the way this was worded is what provoked the comments. From the way that it reads, the poster stated that she spent four months in Tn and "found ONLY liars, thieves and crooks of all kinds". If the comment had not been so generalized, the responses would probably have been different. Just my opinion, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 08:45 PM

380 posts, read 1,178,312 times
Exactly, Kats! I'm not denying there is crime in Chattanooga, although Chattanooga Girl and her neighbors and colleagues seem to have been victims of a larger-than-average number of crimes.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:41 PM

214 posts, read 871,803 times
i like to know say if i were to move to chattanooga i live in oakland, and los angeles compare to chattanooga would oakland and los angeles make chattanooga look like a safe city

Old 03-09-2008, 03:54 PM

390 posts, read 1,701,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebreezy View Post
i like to know say if i were to move to chattanooga i live in oakland, and los angeles compare to chattanooga would oakland and los angeles make chattanooga look like a safe city
I have lived in Los Angeles and visited Oakland and would say without a doubt, chattanooga would feel safe to you compared to those areas. However, it still depends on where you choose to live, as with everywhere. One thing you will notice of the local news, is that you have a lot more human interest stories along with the bad stuff. That is also indicitive of the smaller populice, I believe.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:18 AM

11 posts, read 40,855 times
Hey everyone I would like to piggyback this thread and ask a similar question. My father was recently offerred a 100k+ job to move to chatanooga. They will be moving from a small, super safe area of Pennsylvania. I am a bit concerned by the way the forum has played out to this point, and I was wondering if you may be able to reccomend some areas that they should look into for housing. My mom has spent her whole life in a small town, and crime is something that she most deffinilty is going to be affraid of. Mom will prolly get a job I would imagine but I would rather not count her income. With their income profile, where do you think they should look into residing?

Old 03-13-2008, 08:36 AM

50 posts, read 146,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbyrd View Post
I have lived in Los Angeles and visited Oakland and would say without a doubt, chattanooga would feel safe to you compared to those areas. However, it still depends on where you choose to live, as with everywhere. One thing you will notice of the local news, is that you have a lot more human interest stories along with the bad stuff. That is also indicitive of the smaller populice, I believe.
I have actually lived in Oakland and let me tell ya, nothing in Chattanooga could possibly be worse than some areas of that city. I refused to drive through some areas of Oakland during the day. At night I would regularly hear automatic gunfire. I am moving to Chattanooga in May and am not scared at all.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 4,390 times
I have lived in Chattanooga for about 10 years and will be moving soon. You're right to question your safety here. Two close friends of mine have been victims of violent crime this summer- perfectly innocent people, attacked for no reason. The city's high crime rates indicate a troubling trend here, where we are growing big city crime problems, but we are left with a small town police force. The city apprears quaint and charming, but truthfully, it embodies all of the worst characteristics of the south- the racism, the good 'ol boy system of rewarding relationship rather than merit and the anti-intellectualism (in spite of its being a college town). I would encourage you look to cities other states, according to their crime rates and school performances. Consider reviewing the FBI's Uniform Crime Report. Chattanooga certainly has things to be proud of- a large arts community, a robust farmer's market, a beautiful landscape and more- but the threat of rising crime and the lack of progressive values has led me to pack up my wife and dog and move away from here. I advise that you look elsewhere for a peaceful relocation destination.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:10 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,914 times
I'm staying! We think this a great place to raise our children, and although we are not oblivious to the fact that there is crime (where isn't there?), we feel relatively safe in the Scenic City.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:51 PM

264 posts, read 819,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post
I'm staying! We think this a great place to raise our children, and although we are not oblivious to the fact that there is crime (where isn't there?), we feel relatively safe in the Scenic City.

I agree!

Old 10-16-2009, 05:16 PM

155 posts, read 334,859 times
Interesting topic to read through. I'm brand new to Chatty, moved her about 1 1/2 months ago and have been staying with a friend in the North Shore/Red Bank area. I was originally born and raised, and lived for 24 years, in Tacoma, Washington. There's significant drug and gang problems in the greater Tacoma area that I was hoping to escape from, not to mention I was just looking to get a new start in a new city. I came upon Chatty by chance, really. Passed through it while vagabonding through the country in my car. The architecture caught my eye, the riverside parks and apparent artistic/intellectual culture (North Shore/UTC, at least) is more or less what sold me.

Now that I've been here for almost two months, my impressions are still similar. It's a beautiful city, and in general (in my very limited experience), people seem to be nice and friendly around town. I feel completely safe walking all around Ross's Landing and Coolidge Park areas. However, I have been told about the bad areas as well... I've been warned about East Ridge and Alton Park, specifically, with some cautions about Brainerd as well. On the other hand, I've heard good and seen mostly good things about the Ooltewah, North Shore, and Red Bank/Hixson areas.

I am still concerned about crime around here, mostly as a result of what I've read on this forum, and seen in the crime statistics. But in my own (again, very limited) personal experiences, the city seems perfectly fine to me as long as you stay out of the bad areas. I hope it continues to that go that way. I would definitely like to see the police crack down on any gang-related activity, though. Where I'm from, you regularly had gang units and gang task forces working the streets. Here (where people say there is gang activity as well), I've seen nothing of the like. With how fast this city is growing, they may need to expand those departments within the police force.

Here's hoping they keep a handle on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga