Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 06:14 AM

611 posts, read 1,997,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
Sushi, Birks... I'm in! This does mean I can quit shaving my legs right?

uh..... no. Sushi Hippies = well groomed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 07:16 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
Quote:
Sushi, Birks... I'm in! This does mean I can quit shaving my legs right?

No No No.......I don't know ya.......

Old 11-21-2007, 08:35 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,652,115 times
Drats! Ok, for the sake of sushi I will continue to shave my legs.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:03 AM

611 posts, read 1,997,826 times
Quote:
Drats! Ok, for the sake of sushi I will continue to shave my legs.

whew..... close call there

Old 11-21-2007, 10:30 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,652,115 times
You have NO idea ROFL!

Old 11-21-2007, 03:45 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,009 times
I'll consider shaving my legs for some free sushi

Old 11-21-2007, 05:11 PM

149 posts, read 473,776 times
LOL!! guess I should have checked out more feet while in Chat!

Old 11-25-2007, 01:47 PM

36 posts, read 190,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by future texan View Post
to mary77, we experienced this response from at least 1/2 dozen people in chat, from store clerks, wait staff, etc., during a two day visit....and for the record grizzly, we never once went around 'banging our drums' that we were from CA, nor did we ever volunteer that information we were asked where we were from, I am guessing due to our lack of an accent...and as far as being respectful, we always have that covered..our moms taught us well after reading many negative posts, among the many positive, and after getting a feel for the area, this is my gut feeling about chat as a place to retire to...one local we encountered, and we never mentioned retirement plans, moving, or anything to that nature; asked us where we were from,.... and when told, responded "I always refer to californians as 'hippies'"...then went on to tell us that if we ever decided to move to the south, we "should move to alabama, they are friendlier there"....
I have lived in Chatt since 1995. Everyone asks everyone "new" they meet where they are from....there are probably more "transplants" here than locals.
We are Yankees and didn't have any problems with the status quo issues....until.. after getting the "Yankee" comment for the hundreth time, my husband finally was fed up and played ball. So he would further the coversation with a reply that if they didn't like it he would bring the rest of our Yankee family down and kick their butt again....that would put an end to their sarcasism. It's like we got more respect for defending ourselves.

In all honesty, the nicest welcome an outsider is going to get, is from another outsider.

Yes there is a BIG faction of the Good Ol'e Boys/Girls network here in politics. Quite of few of them went to jail this year in a sting operation!!

Jobs...eh, jump thru hoops for the tons of temp services here or get a low paying job and proove yourself worthy. That's what I have done...got my foot in the door working for $8/hr and then showed them my work ethics to rise to the better pay. Believe me, in NJ or PA no one gets away with punching in for work and eating breakfast at their desk for 20 mins before they lift a finger to work!!

Sorry to sound negative, I am not bitter just disappointed. Chattanooga has changed a ton since I came here. (I could go on)...We will be selling our house mid-2008....don't know where we are going, but we are out of here....

Old 11-25-2007, 04:16 PM

111 posts, read 561,049 times
Chattanooga Girl-

How about comming to Vermont? We are hoping to sell our house and move to Chattanooga next year. How about a trade :-) A move to Vermont might be just the change you need!

Old 12-01-2007, 08:08 AM

36 posts, read 190,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary77 View Post
Chattanooga Girl-

How about comming to Vermont? We are hoping to sell our house and move to Chattanooga next year. How about a trade :-) A move to Vermont might be just the change you need!
We are Florida bound, somewhere near the Gulf ...but thanks.

If you are still looking when our house goes on the market I will be glad to get you MLS# then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga