Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 04:57 AM

849 posts, read 2,954,734 times

Advertisements

Day one, the day started out a little cool and gloomy on Friday. We walked the city, went to the Imax and saw a 3D movie on life under the sea, highly recommended! The waether has gotten better through the day and it ends beautifully.

We went to Chillis for lunch and then walked it off crossing the Market Street bridge to Frasier Ave. shopping district. Went back across the pedestrian bridge and then back to our hotel. My one son went and explored the city on foot, a little disappointed there was no where for him to spend the $40 burning a hole in his pocket - looking for a music store. My other son relaxed in the room, and my wife read a book outside enjoying the cooler temperatures that we won't see in Florida until December.

I took the opportunity during this down time to drive to the property we purchased in June at exit 161, Lake Nickajack area. I'll post my pictures when we get home. Went to take my first picture and my wife (God bless her) had left the camera on. Snapped a shot and when I went to take another, I discovered that my memory card was full. Cleared several not needed shots, went to snap another and battery dead. Drove back to fireworks store at exit and bought batteries. Finally, started driving again and has I headed up the new road, two deer came out and stopped in the road - very cool! Once they cleared the road (Slow Draw McGraw-me didn't get a picture), I proceeded to drive further, only to find significant road work occurring. Drove through that, and got to our lot, where I snapped a bunch of picture of trees, and our eventual view. Lots of dogwoods! Spent a little time just walking the lot, and then after about an hour or so, was ready to go home. I drive and am just about out of the development and there is a cable up across the road. I get out, and it is locked - great. Now I have to figure out how to get to the Georgia side and find my way back to I-59, or spend the night in my car and wait for the cable to come down again. Fortunately, this story has a happy ending and another worker in the area shows up, just as I am about to punt and has a key. Love him!

Later back at our hotel, I join my wife outside where she is reading Harry Potter and I have a nice cigar. Later we walk to Cheeburger Cheeburger and get dinner, then to sleep and now back up again. We'll be heading the back way to Cloudland Canyon State park and then to Hamilton Place Mall. Tonight, we are doing the Big River Grille.

We are leaving fairly early on Sunday morning so it is likely I won't be back on board until Monday. Will post pics - great trip so far!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 05:03 AM

Too bad, well miss this one Sunday. This would have been entertaining to say the least!

Krystals a one-bite burger for pros - Chattanooga Times Free Press - Breaking News in Chattanooga, TN. Classifieds and Top Stories (http://www.timesfreepress.com/absolutenm/templates/local.aspx?articleid=24081&zoneid=77 - broken link)

Old 10-29-2007, 03:05 AM

Day 2 on Saturday, my wife and I ran the Riverpark trail from downtown to about the power plant looking thing, near the Election Commission building. We got cleaned up and went to the mall, not much going on, but had lunch as we were all pretty ravenous by 11:30am with no breakfast.

We then went on to Cloudland Canyon State Park and that was worth the trip. The waterfall had some water going over it, and was very picturesque, speaking of which, I did snap some shots. Not sure if I'll have time to get them up this morning. The gorge there is spectacular, pictures don't do it justice.

After our park hike, we drove back on 189 to the hang gliding place. Wow, that was scary and breath taking, it is amazing the view, it was pretty clear, maybe we could see 25 miles? I don't know how to estimate it, but it felt like we were on top of the world.

The drive had a lot of the fall colors we were looking for, but I'd have to say, it is probably a week to 10 days for true peak yet. There is one tree in particular that had some brilliant reds, not the maple, but a tree with an oval shaped leave and about 6 or 7 in a cluster. Does anyone know what this tree is?

All in all, we had a great trip and good family bonding time. Oh, and the Vols won a thriller against South Carolina!

Old 10-29-2007, 04:21 AM

Pics...

View from hang gliding cliff

Waterfall at Cloudland Canyon

My tribe at CC

Our eventual view from our property

Road leading into our development

Scary halloween tree

Old 10-29-2007, 06:22 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,653,981 times
Glad to see you guys had a good trip and there was actually WATER over the falls! lol

Old 10-29-2007, 06:52 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,681,562 times
very cool....so glad the clan had a good trip! your property locale looks awesome.

as for the trees...I too want to get to know more about them. Will be looking for a book at the library or something

Old 10-29-2007, 06:09 PM

Thanks Tri! I am glad the pictures worked! Let me know if you find a good book.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:56 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,681,562 times
Let us now turn to the Book of Maple.....chapter seven, picking up in verse twenty-six.........oh wait, sorry.....wrong book!

Old 10-30-2007, 05:39 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,533,702 times
Wow Grizzlybear,
Thanks for sharing.

And here I thought I was the only Bears fan in Florida.

Great Pics.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:36 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,874,911 times
Thumbs up DOGWOOD Tree

GB: DOGWOOD are deep RED right now, also in my back yard, we have tree, flower, bird books. Nifty high view. Cant recall if you said this was RARITY property out by the gorge.? Maybe direct msg when your bored.
. Did get another shady swim access for a ATV and tent opened today. Will take a nifty pic for Thanksgiving message. Coming to Fla next month special classic boat show.
PS Same DOGWOOD trees that are WHITE flower in spring time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga