Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2017, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,781 times

Advertisements

My husband and I want to get out of South Florida, for MANY reasons. We spent some time in eastern TN this summer and loved it. Didn't get to Chattanooga so have to make it another trip. We just want some opinions.
We enjoy the outdoors, friendly people, music, intelligent conversations, moderate to conservatives politics.
I'm a teacher and husband has his own medical device business, which he'd like to relocate.
We welcome any advice or suggestions
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 07:03 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,507,319 times
Need a little more description of what you're looking for? Chattanooga is a small city with a wide range of businesses in a diverse economy based on a fairly even mix of manufacturing, professional services and retail/trade/tourism. There is also a significant presence of education with a branch of the UT system and handful of smaller colleges. Someone mentioned the metro area is pushing 700,000 but (oddly enough) that does not include an adjacent county (Bradley TN, pop. 104,400) and another large GA county (Whitfield, pop. 104,600), just a fifteen minute drive down I-75. In fact many residents of East Hamilton County commute to Dalton, GA in that county. Northwest Georgia is the worldwide center of the carpet and textile industry. Businesses throughout the Chattanooga area exist to support that industry.

Chattanooga is a hub of southeastern TN and is the largest city on the busy route between Nashville and Atlanta (slightly closer to the latter). As such, it has become a transportation hub in trucking, rail and river trade and a longtime site of an abundance of heavy industry (foundries, heavy engines, auto/truck manufacturing, and appliances). For this reason it has been called "The Dynamo of Dixie" for more than a hundred years. Many of the earliest brick factories still exist, and most are seeing new lives as condo/apartment/retail buildings as the city's downtown experiences a renaissance.

Perhaps the biggest driver of Chattanooga's revival and current growth spurt is the natural beauty surrounding our valley. Surrounded by mountains, the city is now a key destination for Millennials and retirees for relocation and starting new businesses. The economy now is thriving, and numbers I've seen recently show Chattanooga second in growth in the state only to the Nashville metro.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:53 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,371,721 times
Another excellent and informative post. I tried to give you rep points but had to spread some around.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:21 PM

22 posts, read 41,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Another excellent and informative post. I tried to give you rep points but had to spread some around.
Agreed, I repped them but it probably doesnt matter much since Im relatively new here haha

Old 09-15-2017, 12:57 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,012,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
For this reason it has been called "The Dynamo of Dixie" for more than a hundred years. .
Haven't heard that phrase in awhile.

Old 10-26-2017, 02:24 PM

4 posts, read 4,736 times
I live in Soddy Daisy, just about 20 minutes north of Chattanooga. It's a small quiet town with great parks, schools, friendly people, and churches. We are just off an interstate (27 and close to 111) so you can be anywhere in a short period of time. Lots of new businesses are starting up. We have lived here for about 2 years and most people we have met are conservative. Hope you have luck on your search in the Chatt area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga