Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2018, 06:37 PM

155 posts, read 288,331 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

[I posted something similar in the Greenville, SC thread...]

I've been doing some research on where to move to next. I visited Chatt last summer for 3 days, and thought it might be a little too big (and a little too much traffic) for what I'm looking for, but I'm reconsidering. I currently live in Denver, but find it too expensive, with too many people (traffic) and too much construction.

Here are some things I'm looking for in a new place, and I wanted to get some opinions on how many of these Chattanooga meets.

-Affordable (this is relative, but let's say not too much over the U.S. average), seems like Chattanooga checks this box.
-Outdoorsy (plenty of places to hike, bike, kayak, etc). I'm more into summer sports than winter sports. That being said, even though I don't ski or board, I've still enjoyed the Rockies. I love the mountains!
- Small city/big town desired. I would say anywhere between 25,000 - 200,00 people (the metropolitan area can be bigger)
- Relatively sunny weather. Denver will be tough to beat.
- 4 seasons or mediterranean temps. I'd consider both. What I don't like are really hot/humid temps or long winters. [The summer humidity is where I will need to compromise if I decide on Chattanooga]
- Fun downtown, or an emerging downtown with some energy. I don't drink much but I do like a vibrant downtown. And I love my coffee shops.
- Not too much traffic
- It would be nice if it had an entrepreneurial scene [I own my own business, and work from home or coffee shops. A nice co-working space would be helpful]
- I like both beach and mountains, but prefer mountains. And rivers/forests.
- A community feel where people are friendly and say hello and get to know you. This is important. I would like some close friends. I'd be moving there by myself and I don't know anyone there.

I would be renting at first, so any opinions on a cool, hip neighborhood to rent would be helpful.

Other things...My parents are in Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia that wouldn't be that far of a drive. My sister is near Blacksburg...I grew up in NOVA and lived in Dallas for 11 years, so I know humidity. I was actually born in Cookeville, but only lived there 1 year so I'm sure it's changed. haha.

Other places I've looked at are Roanoke, VA and Greenville, SC. So if you have any opinions vs those, they are welcome.

Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 06:00 AM

842 posts, read 829,310 times
It sounds like your outdoorsy and 4-seasons requirements are checked. If by 4-seasons you're looking for significant winter snowfall, then you may want to look more closely at Roanoke than Chattanooga or Greenville. Summers will be cooler in Roanoke as well (but still hot and humid); however, none of these three cities will be as brutally oppressive as Dallas.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:00 AM

29 posts, read 43,401 times
-Affordable (this is relative, but let's say not too much over the U.S. average), seems like Chattanooga checks this box.

COL is 88 for Chattanooga. Most things are similar to anywhere in America, but gas and housing tend to be very inexpensive in east Tennessee. Also, no income tax, so you automatically keep 6+% of your income.

-Outdoorsy (plenty of places to hike, bike, kayak, etc). I'm more into summer sports than winter sports. That being said, even though I don't ski or board, I've still enjoyed the Rockies. I love the mountains!

Between Prentice Cooper State Forest (Insurance Bluff is basically Horseshoe Bend with trees), Lookout Mountain, the Tennessee Riverwalk, and the Ocoee Region, you will have more than your fill of outdorsey. North Carolina has some skiing available about 3 to 5 hour drive.

- Small city/big town desired. I would say anywhere between 25,000 - 200,00 people (the metropolitan area can be bigger)

180,000 people, metro under half million.

Chattanooga averages 104 clear skies, 106 partly cloudy, 155 cloudy days

Colorado averages 115 clear-sky days, 130 partly cloudy days and 120 cloudy days

- 4 seasons or mediterranean temps. I'd consider both. What I don't like are really hot/humid temps or long winters. [The summer humidity is where I will need to compromise if I decide on Chattanooga]

Definitely all 4 seasons, and yes the humidity is pretty rough, June through half of September.

- Fun downtown, or an emerging downtown with some energy. I don't drink much but I do like a vibrant downtown. And I love my coffee shops.

Chattanooga has the more established energetic part of downtown (North Chattanooga), the more bustling with tourists/college folk/and local (central city), the "Innovation District", which is just north of the "Southside," another district about to get some major redevelopment just south of there (just south of I-24 and toward the river), then south of that, you have quaint St. Elmo. In terms of trendy and hip or millennial, those are your options. From the sound of it, you would like to be somewhere between the Innovation District and the SOuthside.

- Not too much traffic

I'm currently in Atlanta, the idea that Chattanooga traffic could possibly too much would be laughable. But there is certainly traffic at the typical rush hour times. Particularly from 153 to downtown, and 153 to Hixson.

- It would be nice if it had an entrepreneurial scene [I own my own business, and work from home or coffee shops. A nice co-working space would be helpful]

https://www.chainnovate.com/

You would be about 6-7 hours from the finest beaches in America (Gulf Coast, 30A). Clearly mountains all around.

- A community feel where people are friendly and say hello and get to know you. This is important. I would like some close friends. I'd be moving there by myself and I don't know anyone there.

Admittedly, everybody has bad days, but the south really is generally laid back and friendly.

I would be renting at first, so any opinions on a cool, hip neighborhood to rent would be helpful.

North Chatt, Central City, Southside.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
It sounds like your outdoorsy and 4-seasons requirements are checked. If by 4-seasons you're looking for significant winter snowfall, then you may want to look more closely at Roanoke than Chattanooga or Greenville. Summers will be cooler in Roanoke as well (but still hot and humid); however, none of these three cities will be as brutally oppressive as Dallas.
No I actually want little to no winter snowfall. I don't mind some winter, just want one that's shorter than Denver. So I do like 4 seasons, but a short winter. Sounds like I am good there. Thanks!

Old 07-23-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plan84 View Post

COL is 88 for Chattanooga. Most things are similar to anywhere in America, but gas and housing tend to be very inexpensive in east Tennessee. Also, no income tax, so you automatically keep 6+% of your income.

Between Prentice Cooper State Forest (Insurance Bluff is basically Horseshoe Bend with trees), Lookout Mountain, the Tennessee Riverwalk, and the Ocoee Region, you will have more than your fill of outdorsey. North Carolina has some skiing available about 3 to 5 hour drive.

180,000 people, metro under half million.

Chattanooga averages 104 clear skies, 106 partly cloudy, 155 cloudy days

Colorado averages 115 clear-sky days, 130 partly cloudy days and 120 cloudy days

Definitely all 4 seasons, and yes the humidity is pretty rough, June through half of September.

Chattanooga has the more established energetic part of downtown (North Chattanooga), the more bustling with tourists/college folk/and local (central city), the "Innovation District", which is just north of the "Southside," another district about to get some major redevelopment just south of there (just south of I-24 and toward the river), then south of that, you have quaint St. Elmo. In terms of trendy and hip or millennial, those are your options. From the sound of it, you would like to be somewhere between the Innovation District and the SOuthside.

- Not too much traffic

I'm currently in Atlanta, the idea that Chattanooga traffic could possibly too much would be laughable. But there is certainly traffic at the typical rush hour times. Particularly from 153 to downtown, and 153 to Hixson.

https://www.chainnovate.com/

You would be about 6-7 hours from the finest beaches in America (Gulf Coast, 30A). Clearly mountains all around.

Admittedly, everybody has bad days, but the south really is generally laid back and friendly.

North Chatt, Central City, Southside.
Great, this is so helpful...thank you so much, especially the breakdown on the sunny/cloudy days and the different neighborhoods.

Re: Traffic - I'm sure I won't mind whatever traffic there is as I would be coming from Denver. It's gotten so bad here at all hours of the day!

Old 07-25-2018, 02:45 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,299,065 times
The only significant downside to Chattanooga is going to be the 6 1/2 hour drive to see your parents.
Greenville is going to be closer but still 4 1/2 hours. Knoxville would be similar.

Greensboro and Winston-Salem, NC would keep the drive under 2 hours. Roanoke would be under an hour.

Chattanooga, Greenville, Knoxville, and Roanoke are all going to offer a lot of outdoor activity opportunities. Greensboro and Winston-Salem will be further from the mountains but still not unreasonably far (1 -2 hours).

Old 07-26-2018, 10:41 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,613,337 times
I highly recommend you investigate the NC Triad - Winston is 90 min to Boone (even closer on the west side of Winston, like Lewisville, 75 min to Boone)

as WWV stated, the Triad is relatively close to your parents as well (much closer than Chattanooga or Greenville)

The Triad remains "undiscovered" and real estate is (generally) affordable - Greensboro has made significant strides in developing its DT area (with much more to come) - the Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts looks amazing - when completed (early 2020), I expect this venue will surpass the quality/seating of DPAC in Durham

Greensboro also has one of the largest Aquatics Centers in the country - my kids are competitive swimmers and GAC is amazing (nothing like that anywhere in SC)

investigate Winston as well

To me, the Triad seems a little more sophisticated than either the Upstate of SC or Chattanooga

I don't recommend Roanoke (just my opinion)

just be prepared for LOTS of humidity (compared to Denver)...and no pot (yet)

I lived in Chattanooga for about 2 years - amazing place (esp Signal Mountain) - but, FOR YOU, look at the Triad

Old 12-06-2018, 03:58 PM

19 posts, read 20,916 times
How did your move go? I'm in a very similar situation. I live in Denver but will be moving soon and one of the job opportunities is in the Chattanooga area. I love the mountains here, and I'm not looking forward to moving back to high humidity (originally from Houston). Still, most everything else about the area has my interest and I'd be curious of your findings if this is where you ended up.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:20 AM

Hey! Haven't moved it, but I'll send you a private message!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga