Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 03:27 PM

380 posts, read 1,178,590 times

Advertisements

Bluebird, it usually gets down into the 70's in Chattanooga during the summer nights. Occasionally it's still 80 or so, but it's nothing like the Dallas nights. My sister and parents live in the D/FW area, and what you guys experience (100 degrees at midnight) is much worse that it is here. The humidity does take some getting used to, but the nights do offer some relief. Summers vary. We had several summers in the past few decade in which only a dozen or fewer days even surpassed 90 degrees. However, last summer we had something like 18 days over 100 degrees and a the worst drought in recorded history. I think we're in for a hot one this year, as this week is already feeling like August!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 07:52 PM

69 posts, read 281,130 times
Default Relieved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMar View Post
Bluebird, it usually gets down into the 70's in Chattanooga during the summer nights. Occasionally it's still 80 or so, but it's nothing like the Dallas nights. My sister and parents live in the D/FW area, and what you guys experience (100 degrees at midnight) is much worse that it is here. The humidity does take some getting used to, but the nights do offer some relief. Summers vary. We had several summers in the past few decade in which only a dozen or fewer days even surpassed 90 degrees. However, last summer we had something like 18 days over 100 degrees and a the worst drought in recorded history. I think we're in for a hot one this year, as this week is already feeling like August!
Thanks McMar....It takes someone else actually knowing how bad it is here to get a good comparision. I have had 10 years of this climate and I am READY to move!

Old 06-14-2008, 08:52 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,905,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattamom View Post
Mary, I would strongly suggest you visit here before committing to any move. Yes, it's a beautiful area, with a low cost of living. However, we pay the price in our school system, which is downright awful. Hamilton County suffers from huge budget problems, overcrowded classrooms, underpaid teachers, the list goes on and on. The schools on Signal Mountain are good, and some of the elementary schools (Lookout Mtn, Westview, Big Ridge, a few others including some of the magnet schools) are good. However, most of the middle and high schools are NOT. There are gang problems, fights, drugs, major discipline issues. I have several friends who moved here from New England- one from CT and one from MA- and both were shocked by the poor quality of the schools here.
Here's a recent news story about the budget:
Tennessee's Budget Cuts Likely to Impact Hamilton County Schools Harshly | WDEF News 12 | News, Weather and Sports for Chattanooga and the Tennessee Valley

Another factor to consider: our hot, muggy summers. Basically, 4 months of the year we have highs into the 90's for weeks on end and no relief in sight. Now, if you love hot, muggy weather, you will love it here. But if you prefer mild New England summers, you're going to be in for a huge shock. Of course, the flip side is that winters are relatively mild, with just the occasional snowfall here and there (whereupon the entire town shuts down because nobody knows how to drive in it!) Fall here is absolutely beautiful, and not unlike New England, with all the leaves changing (though it happens about 6 weeks later here in than in VT.)

Crime is also a much bigger problem here than anywhere in Vermont. I felt safe walking all over downtown Burlington, but there are many parts of Chattanooga I would never set foot in (or drive in). In fact, Chattanooga has one of the highest crime rates in the country for a city of its size. There are, of course, safer suburban neighborhoods outside the city limits. Here's a brief article on crime in Chattanooga:
Top Stories: Chattanooga is 59th, Cleveland 53rd when it comes to Violent Crime | crime, chattanooga, ranks - www.newschannel9.com
Now, if you're coming from a big city like LA, you would probably feel comparatively safe in Chattanooga. But compared to VT...well, the numbers tell the story.

Anyway, don't mean to burst your bubble- I just don't want you to be in for a shock. And I happen to love New England- I'd move there in a heartbeat if I could possibly ever afford it!

you obviously never spent a summer in Fairfield CT - hot muggy? you bet it is! I spent quite a few summers there...Maine maybe, but not along the sound in CT...hot and sticky...

Old 06-14-2008, 08:55 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,905,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary77 View Post
Well, it sounds like as long as we live somewhere like Signal Mountain or Soddy Daisy and just visit the safer parts of Chattanooga for entertainment occasionally, then we would probably be pretty happy there. We really have our heart set on that area. I think Chattamom was saying that the humidity is awful relative to New England where I live. But I'm really comparing it to the 90-100 degree heat and humidity that I grew up in down in Florida. The New England summers are nice and cool but that has it's down side also. Last summer my kids and I crossed our fingers everyday hoping that the temperature would get high enough to go swimming. I think we only got to go five or six times. That was a drag.

JMT-I know you are a big Knoxville promoter. How does the crime rate in Knoxville compare to Chattanooga?

idon't know what part of NE you're from - CT by the SOUND is hot and muggy..I lived there

Old 01-27-2010, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,299 times
I am thinking about moving to Chattanooga (also considering Nashville) and was wondering what are the areas where the high crime are located, so I can avoid it. I am a photographer and I am planning to check out bands in the area...

Also have to agree with Northeast/New England can get hot and muggy. What would those that live in Chattanooga would say the % of humidity is there, average?

My dad has thought about moving there too and he has a problem with his throat, especially when it gets either dry or humid and I was wondering if he would be able to handle it or would it be too much? I am guessing he would have an easier time if he lived outside of Chattanooga in the mountains and not say downtown, especially since he doesn't like to run the a/c.

Also, what would you say the average utility bill would be?

Old 01-28-2010, 04:07 PM

137 posts, read 431,089 times
The wider, general downtown area in general is the higher crime area, excluding the actual center of activity downtown from Main Street to the river. But anywhere in the suburbs you're fine. If I hadn't heard about Chattanooga's crime rating on this site I would have never imagined it is as high as it is, but that may be because I live out in a suburb.

Just as a side note, Chattanooga has a big suburban sprawl problem. In many places it's ugly, and in some spots (like the recent Vineyard development near East Brainerd) downright immoral. It seems to spread out from the malls. The sprawl around Eastgate and Northgate is older stuff, less attractive. The sprawl around Hamilton Place is new, shiny, and well kept, but is still sprawl. If I were moving to Chattanooga, I'd definitely go either downtown, up on Signal or Lookout Mountains, or out in the country.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:20 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,509,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary77 View Post
Oh yes. We definitely plan to drive or fly down there if he gets an interview. But for that much money, we would need to be assured that the potential employer is very interested. I'm just worried that when they see that we are not local, they may not even consider calling. This is the impression I've been given by some of the post's on this thread. I wonder if it would help if the kids and I moved to Chattanooga ahead of time? Then we could list a local address on the resume.

The main reason I posted this question was to find out if we should just give up on Chattanooga and aim for Nashville. Nashville seems to have a lot more jobs advertised in his field. But I don't know how different Nashville & Chattanooga are. Chattanooga has more natural beauty right? Is Nashville beautiful at all? We're not really into big cities and a lot of traffic.
Nashville is a beautiful place... it sits in the "Cumberland Basin" with ridges surrounding the main part of the city. The Cumberland River flows right next to the downtown district and it has a lot of very pretty neighborhoods. It's generally a well-to-do metropolitan area attributable to its diverse economy. One complaint heard sometimes about Nashville is that it is really spread out, and you need a car to get around the area.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:29 PM

91 posts, read 282,341 times
I was born and raised in Nashville and moved with my job to Chattanooga in 1989. It's really hard to compare the two, but I'll try. Let me say first..as far as crime in Chattanooga, it's mainly in the inner city and near the housing projects. Those folks have a hard time. It's quite unfortunate for the people that live there that are trying to make a decent living. But, if you live out in the suburbs it is no problem. Very pretty areas and the mountains and landscape is beautiful. There are even lots of places with land available as well. With living in Nashville..well it looks like your best bet for good living would be in the Williamson County area just outside of Nashville. It is quite expensive though. And yes Nashville is a pretty area too. If I had to pick..I would probably pick Chattanooga.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:46 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,509,390 times
I'd agree with most of what you said, Mayberry, but I have to say that the "best bet for good living" is not necessarily in Williamson. Williamson gets the big marquee kudos, and is deserving of them in mot ways. However, it is comparatively more expensive. In fact, there are many small cities that ring the core of Nashville with great housing and fine schools. As for myself, I was raised in Hendersonville and went to the public schools there and then graduated from Vandy. Then I went on to Harvard for my masters degrees (MBA and MPH). I wasn't even in the top-5 of my graduating class at HHS. Sumner County has excellent schools, and I'm told so does Wilson.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:21 PM

91 posts, read 282,341 times
I actually forgot about Hendersonville. I can remember when you left Rivergate going towards Hendersonville and didn't have many businesses until you got to Hendersonville. Now, that whole area has grown so much. But, yes, Hendersonville was a nice place at that time. Glad to hear from a Vandy Grad. My Son wants to go there....he's gonna have to get some kind of scholarship though...$$$$$$..that's for sure. I'm one of a handful of Vandy fans in Chattanooga. Everybody bleeds orange..ggrrrrr. I went to McGavock High myself so we lived somewhat near Mt. Juliet(Wilson Co.)..It's a nice area also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga