Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2019, 09:18 AM

2 posts, read 3,282 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm new to the forum but not new to Chattanooga. However, I am looking to purchase some property on Signal Mountain or W Rd.
Can anyone give me real life experiences/opinions with living in this area?
I understand this area is outside the city limits of Chattanooga. Is this a good or bad thing? Does this equate to lower property taxes and less building costs (due to lower cost of permitting)?
Regarding W rd, it seems to be very busy and well traveled road. Is this known to be a cut through off the mountain?
I heard all the houses on W must have a well drilled in order to get water. Is this true and are there plans to run municipal water? If not, can anyone give me rough ideas for costs of drilling a well?
Okay, one last question; excavation - I suspect excavating a sloped lot can be costly. Anyone know how to estimate this cost?
I know that's a ton of questions for a first post but I will most likely repay you guys in best wishes and good karma.
But seriously, thanks a bunch in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 04:51 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,240,175 times
I have a few answers.

City limits: Everyone in the county pays the same County taxes. Then people inside city limits pay additional City taxes on top. So property taxes inside the city are higher, in some cities almost double. But then you don't get City services such as garbage pickup, fire protection, police, etc. You'll need to contract with a private county garbage and a local volunteer fire department. Police will be Sheriff only. I live in the county and pay ~$150/year for fire and ~$250/year for garbage... and would pay at least $1000/year more in taxes if my area gets annexed. I don't know about permitting costs.

Traffic: There are only two ways up and down Signal Mt. on the southern end, so yeah, all locals know about the W road. It sees constant traffic except when closed at the top due to bad weather. On the occasion that something happens on 127 the W gets very backed up very fast. The other ways up are Roberts Mill Rd to the northeast, down toward Dunlap to the west, and a 4WD road across to Suck Creek Mt.

Water: You'll want to contact TN American Water about municipal water in the area.

Excavating an earth slope can be costly. Depends on how much dirt you're moving and if you need tall retaining walls; anything over IBC prescriptive limits will require a custom engineered design. Also cost will depend on if you have to pay to haul the earth/rock away, or if you can do a balanced cut/fill to leave everything on site. Excavating solid rock or large boulders will be very expensive for a homeowner. Your best bet there would be to contact a contractor, but any numbers they give will be wild guesses unless you have specific site information.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:07 PM

249 posts, read 659,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
I live in the county and pay ~$150/year for fire...
If you live in Hamilton County you have no obligation to pay for fire service. The departments send out letters that look like bills, but they are requests for donations. All fire departments in Hamilton County receive county tax funds and are therefore not allowed to discriminate to whom they provide service. That said, I highly recommend donating, because firefighting is expensive.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:03 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,240,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithps View Post
If you live in Hamilton County you have no obligation to pay for fire service. The departments send out letters that look like bills, but they are requests for donations. All fire departments in Hamilton County receive county tax funds and are therefore not allowed to discriminate to whom they provide service. That said, I highly recommend donating, because firefighting is expensive.
This is technically correct, except it is a bill for a subscription for fire protection services with an optional donation over that. If you live in Hamilton County, your local fire department will respond to a fire at your house, subscription or not.

This will not happen in Hamilton County: Firefighters Watch Home Burn

-BUT-

If you don't subscribe to the service ahead of time they can and will send you a bill for services. That bill will be substantial if it comes. Your homeowner's insurance may pay that bill, or may not. Also, some homeowners insurance policies require fire protection subscription as a condition of coverage.

The money the county pays to the local Volunteer Fire Departments covers subscriptions for county buildings, other official county costs, and non-fire emergency services (EMT, etc.). It does not cover fire protection for taxpayer's homes.

Time Free Press: Volunteer Fire Department

Last edited by An Einnseanair; 04-24-2019 at 10:17 AM..

Old 04-25-2019, 07:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,282 times
Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful.
I've also gotten some feedback in the form of rough estimates for surveying and excavating cost. They are astronomical. And that's putting it mildly.
Makes the fire, garbage, taxes, and whatever else you want to throw at me seem like peanuts.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:44 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,555,635 times
It might not be relevant to you, but in looking in the area, we noticed the dividing line for Signal Mountain schools is along that road. Huge difference in lot/home prices. You might not care, but something to be aware of if you are outside the zone.

Old 12-01-2023, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras72 View Post
Hi all, I'm new to the forum but not new to Chattanooga. However, I am looking to purchase some property on Signal Mountain or W Rd.
Can anyone give me real life experiences/opinions with living in this area?
I understand this area is outside the city limits of Chattanooga. Is this a good or bad thing? Does this equate to lower property taxes and less building costs (due to lower cost of permitting)?
Regarding W rd, it seems to be very busy and well traveled road. Is this known to be a cut through off the mountain?
I heard all the houses on W must have a well drilled in order to get water. Is this true and are there plans to run municipal water? If not, can anyone give me rough ideas for costs of drilling a well?
Okay, one last question; excavation - I suspect excavating a sloped lot can be costly. Anyone know how to estimate this cost?
I know that's a ton of questions for a first post but I will most likely repay you guys in best wishes and good karma.
But seriously, thanks a bunch in advance!!!
Hi ras72 - I realize this is several years old, but now I too am looking into signal mountain as a place to move, from nashville. Do you have any updates on your search and what happened? excavation or not? Would love to know what you found and ended up with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga