Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 07:10 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,249,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobieZ View Post
I am probably going to rent there, although I did hear from locals about a stabbing in the laundromat across the street, and a young girl being raped on the trails which is scary. Seems like there is no place walkable to downtown that would be safe!
Literally no place on the planet is safe. Any place you can think of where people gather, someone can find a violent crime that has happened in the last few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 07:12 AM

14 posts, read 15,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
There are two chicken plants downtown; at the corner of 17th & Broad (Pilgrim's Pride), and at 19th & Capella (Koch Foods). Semi-trailers packed with live chickens frequent the area, and yes, when the wind is right, the smell can get a little strong.

That said, the City recently passed an "odor ordinance": https://newschannel9.com/news/local/...downtown-smell

Maybe the plants will be able to filter their emissions to fix the problem.
We explored this area a couple of times looking at great apartments there, but YES there's a smell and, speaking with the locals, not many believe the chicken plants will leave anytime soon. I don't know how people live with it, to be honest.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:16 AM

51 posts, read 64,144 times
Quote:
I am probably going to rent there, although I did hear from locals about a stabbing in the laundromat across the street, and a young girl being raped on the trails which is scary. Seems like there is no place walkable to downtown that would be safe!
Nowhere is safe. Any decent-sized city will have crime. Be careful with who you associate with, and don't put yourself into any bad situations. Carry pepper spray with you and take an uber if you feel like it isn't safe enough to walk. I have walked from that area to downtown once, and I didn't see anyone. I have also walked 2 miles to city cafe from UTC dorms at 3 a.m. and 5 a.m. Pretty much saw no one. I definitely wouldn't advise anyone to do this, but I'm just saying if you take precautions, you will be fine.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:30 AM

14 posts, read 15,722 times
Thank you Coreysmotoadventures. There are some restaurants and breweries on the north shore that I'd likely walk to and from in the evenings, and I plan to be running on the river park paths after work. Coming from Canada, I'm probably more fearful than most, but I guess I could bring pepper spray for reassurance.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:47 AM
V0X

4 posts, read 4,032 times
Quote:
We explored this area a couple of times looking at great apartments there, but YES there's a smell and, speaking with the locals, not many believe the chicken plants will leave anytime soon. I don't know how people live with it, to be honest.
and the max fine for violating the odor ordinance is $50 bucks a day.. paying that is a lot cheaper than installing any filtration system to contain odors.

but, people really shouldn't complain if they say, move near an airport and don't like noise, or move near a chicken plant and don't like "fowl" odors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga