Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 06:11 PM

39 posts, read 213,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
maggiekate,

Haven't heard of Alexian Village. Signal Mountain (west of town) is a great area of Chattanooga. It sits at about 2000 feet in elevation and is at least 5 degrees cooler than downtown Chattanooga. It's about 15 to 20 minutes from the city center. Real estate on the mountain is quite pricey however.

drfranklin
My wife and I drove up from FL this past week to look over several areas in TN. We both loved Signal Mountain. However, you said that R/E is pricey. What would be the going price for an average home? On a couple of real estate internet sites, I have seen prices from 200K up to well over $350K. Is the average somewhere in the middle or is it closer to the over $300K range? We are retiring in the next 1 1/2 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2006, 06:34 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,608,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeFaninOrlando View Post
My wife and I drove up from FL this past week to look over several areas in TN. We both loved Signal Mountain. However, you said that R/E is pricey. What would be the going price for an average home? On a couple of real estate internet sites, I have seen prices from 200K up to well over $350K. Is the average somewhere in the middle or is it closer to the over $300K range? We are retiring in the next 1 1/2 years.
Hello,

Prices for real estate on Signal Mountain vary widely. The availability of new homes (and even existing real estate) is limited because space up on the mountain is limited. Additionally, "views" ("brow lots") can increase the value of the property tremendously. One can purchase a very decent 2,500 to 3,000 sqft home in the 300k range. Of course, you can get more home for your money "off the mountain" and in the valley near Chattanooga.

A very good website I use (with no affiliation to any specific real estate company) is: http://www.chattanoogamls.net/

Good luck.

drfranklin

Old 01-01-2007, 06:21 AM

6 posts, read 26,104 times
drfranklin,
I have learned alot from your posts, so thank you! In your opinion, what are the best area schools in Hamilton county? I will have one in elem, middle, and high when we get there!

Old 01-01-2007, 06:48 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,875,245 times
Default Hamilton schools, real estate

SLG: Welcome to the board. A few days ago posted large Chattanooga School Trend post, maybe down to page 6 or 7 by now, stating serious students are going the PRIVATE route. About 25% either day or Boarding H.S.
Baylor Acadamy big campus right at foot of Signal mtn, river-front cliff. I just bought one of their Kayaks the students use to Make back in the 70's.
. Real estate, very active, in Hamilton co very close to the $100 / Sq Ft range, so just pick how BIG you want your house. North of town brand new wooded one care can be $130k and 2 miles away on the river-front there is a re-sale listed AT $2 million ! Everybody picks their VIEW or hobby. Again 1st stop for your vehicles, when you move to Hamilton or 7 other co's is the Certified Emission Inspection $10 cash only, drive thru, Center station, if the vehicle is not older than 1975.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:09 AM

split,
Yes, I saw your post a few days ago when I was lurking about! The private schools are too expensive for us, that is why I am looking for any opinions on the public school areas in Hamilton county. Any ideas? I have checked out all the school reports, and you can only tell so much by the numbers. I was curious to get 'real people' views. Any help would be much appreciated!

Old 01-01-2007, 04:48 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,692,145 times
Default alexian village

hi, thank you for the info. You can buy different price range homes. What
you get is life care even if you need assisted living etc., You pay one set rate, which will not go up due to care needed at a later point in life.

The new homes there are very expensive, however they have cheaper one.

However, what you pay for the home, is what goes into a trust for contined lfe care. I may visit and check it out.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:58 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,654,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLG3 View Post
split,
Yes, I saw your post a few days ago when I was lurking about! The private schools are too expensive for us, that is why I am looking for any opinions on the public school areas in Hamilton county. Any ideas? I have checked out all the school reports, and you can only tell so much by the numbers. I was curious to get 'real people' views. Any help would be much appreciated!

SLG IMHO the areas w/the more expensive homes have better schools. The inner city schools are lacking unless you attend a magnet school. What areas are you looking into? For good schools, low crime, decent house prices I would recommend the Ooltewah area. I live kind of "inner city" so when my little one gets older, we are going the magnet route ourselves.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
SLG IMHO the areas w/the more expensive homes have better schools. The inner city schools are lacking unless you attend a magnet school. What areas are you looking into? For good schools, low crime, decent house prices I would recommend the Ooltewah area. I live kind of "inner city" so when my little one gets older, we are going the magnet route ourselves.
I'm pretty sure that we are most interested in Soddy, Ooltewah, Hixson areas. We have a few trips planned to confirm. Schools are honestly our deciding factor. We are coming from Florida with the new Publix!
Thanks for any info!

Old 01-05-2007, 07:06 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,654,480 times
Well my friend, you have chosen well! I love Soddy Daisy! Grew up in Hixson and attended Hixson schools. Soddy is one of the fastest growing areas in Hamilton County. It covers both mountain and valley areas so you get the best of both worlds. There are many many new neighborhoods to chose from or some land for the kids and a dog or 2. Hixson is getting quite congested but still a nice area to raise a family. There is an area kind of in between Soddy and Hixson (officially Hixson) called Middle Valley which has some great schools for elementary and middle school kids. Those being McConnell, Ganns and Loftis. The schools are good in both Hixson and Soddy however if you are unhappy with them, sign the kids up in a magnet school. We have all sorts of options here so I think we can accomodate you and yours.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:20 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,875,245 times
Lightbulb $20 Million Medical Park- Hixon

JKW: Good school info , as we are empty nesters. You will still see some changes. Thought you would mention todays newspaper about $20 million industrial park being built in Hixon, mostly for Dr and medical offices. Try not
to tell everyone.
Already posting June Riverbend Festival schedule acts and May Boat shows, WOW, my kind of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga