Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 09:33 AM

16 posts, read 63,243 times

Advertisements

Forrest Breath,

Thanks for your comments. Your write-up speaks volumns.

Terry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 06:51 PM

93 posts, read 370,947 times
You're welcome to come check out Florida Terry&G. The views here are not like the beautiful mountains that we all love in TN & NC. Been to Tellico Plains several times for lunch on our way to ride the Cherohala Pkwy. Finally got to meet the pie lady who used to bake all the pies at the little "downtown" restaurant there. Beautiful area up there FB.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:10 PM
BRH

99 posts, read 347,324 times
I agree pretty much completely on Forest Breath's assesment of Tellico Plains. I, myself, live on the other end of Monroe County, in Sweetwater, but my ex-wife was from Coker Creek, so I've spent quite a bit of time in the area.

It is a beautiful, peaceful, remote area with wonderful scenery and views. Also, as was pointed out, there has been a huge influx of out of state people buying land and moving into the area over the past 20 years or so, so there has been a fair amount of change. I think the area is definitely more open to "outsiders" now than was the case in the past. But I certainly know what Forest Breath meant when mentioning the racial views (especially in the past). There definitely was a time when you did not want to be in that part of the county if you were not a "good ole' boy". I've also heard about the sign that FB mentioned as well, and it was quite known throughout the whole East TN. area for those racial views. I know we used to have some problems back when I was in high school when Sweetwater would play Tellico Plains because of race relations. But as I said, I think a lot of that has changed, especially among the younger generations as time has passed. You still may find some lingering pockets of prejudice (especially with older persons), but overall, it's gotten a lot better. And the flow of outsiders buying up the mountain property has aided this as well.

But even with that negative, it is a beautiful area and a great, lesser known option for wonderful mountain views than the overly commercial Smoky Mountain area to the north.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,141 times
I've live in Tellico plains pretty much my whole life and I think it's very beautiful. if you do move here I just want to say welcome to our community you should check out the fish hatchery and bald river falls good luck to you and your wife!

Old 02-15-2009, 09:10 PM

137 posts, read 430,851 times
The only item of interest for me in Tellico is the fact that it is the western terminus of the Cherohala Skyway, one of the best scenic drives in the southeast.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:41 AM

16 posts, read 63,243 times
Thanks so much for the information. I am getting information on from the chamber of commerce on Tellico Plains, Tn., and Port St. Joe, Florida. We love Cape San Blas & the St. Joseph's Penn State Park, but we can't affort to buy on the Cape. Port St Joe is just a stone's throw away and property is more affordable for he average joe.

Tellico is attractive to us because of past memories of fishinng and the sheer beauty of the area. No hussle and bussle.

Thanks

Old 04-03-2009, 02:03 PM

821 posts, read 2,011,397 times
Default Tellico Plains road trip

today my friend and I went to Tellico Plains to eat at a new restaurant and visit a bakery that was in the Knoxville News Paper last month.

the restaurant : Prospectors
they have menu on their website
it was freezing cold inside and drizzling rain outside, would have been better if it was a little warmer for me
would I go again...yes, when it warms up
Where the Mining Crew is Waiting for YOU - Home

the bakery: Tellico Grains Bakery
now, I can eat bread as my main meal and have nothing else
I bought a few take home items and a loaf of sourdough bread
they do have a small dining area and had several people there eating when I was there.
would I go back....yes, and eat sit in the cafe type place and eat something while I'm here.
Tellico Grains Bakery of Tellico Plains Tennessee

Old 04-05-2009, 03:38 PM

136 posts, read 461,893 times
My wife and I went on a hike at Indian Boundry today and stopped at Prospectors for a late lunch afterwards. It was much warmer today - people even eating outide. The food was good and the atmosphere very "ole time" East Tennessee. The washtub "sink" in the rest rooms was a inique touch. I wouldn't say it was worth the trip in and of itself, but if you are in that area and looking for a nice place to have a bite, this clearly makes the cut, and is probably better than the other eateries in the immediate area.

Jeff

Old 04-19-2009, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 6,254 times
Default Tellico Grains Bakery

The Tellico Grains Bakery is great, had a wonderful hand tossed pizza cooked in a wood burning brick oven with peperoni, sausage, onion, fresh garlic, and green peppers. They only do the pizza on Saturday and only to 4:00 pm. Every item in the bakery is delicious, even had a slice of the homemade quiche that had the best smoked bacon I had ever tasted.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:46 AM

68 posts, read 373,513 times
Hey any Tellico Plains newbies here ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga