Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:29 AM

15 posts, read 70,019 times

Advertisements

I've searched the previous threads and don't see this topic really spelled out. I currently live in CA where we can purchase beer, wine, and liquor in the grocery store 24/7. Ninety-nine percent of restaurants in my town serve beer and wine, and you can bring your own bottle (i.e. a special bottle for a special occasion) that they will open and serve for a corkage fee. Also, you can have alcohol shipped right to your door. I'm moving to the Chattanooga area and want to understand the differences - not that I'm some alcoholic or anything, but I do really love wine, wine tasting, wine makers dinners, etc. and belong to a wine club where they ship different selections to you each month. I don't want to make some faux pas in a restaurant trying to order alcohol on a Sunday if it's not allowed or something. Can someone help me understand your local alcohol laws???

Also, where's the best place to buy wine in Chattanooga? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 10:51 AM

340 posts, read 1,512,306 times
I don't know the complete ins and outs of it, but currently Tennessee has a law that states that wine can only be sold in a liquor store (along with liquor and beer), so you won't find wine at the grocery. However beer is sold at the grocery. This law was probably set to protect liquor stores, but there has been much debate and Tennessee is on the verge of allowing wine in groceries because it will increase tax revenues which are sorely needed by the state. Note that you can't buy liquor at a store on Sunday (of any type) but you can still buy it in restaurants that serve it.

Restaurants generally always serve beer and wine in Hamilton county, and of course some serve liquor as well. I believe in counties surrounding Hamilton that are still alcohol-free, or perhaps which don't have the appropriate licensing, you will find restaurants that allow you to bring your own wine. They usually charge a small amount for corkage. You can bring it and consume it, but not buy it, at those establishments.

I am not sure if you can have liquor shipped into Tennessee, but I doubt it.

In Chattanooga the gold standard for wine stores is probably Riverside Liquors which is next to 24 on Manufacturer's road in North Chatt. I've been there a few times and they have a very large selection, what you would expect for a wine store, and the people working there are quite knowledgeable.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:10 AM

243 posts, read 692,614 times
TN just passed a bill allowing residents to purchase a certain amount of wine a year and have it shipped to them. The bill allowing wine in grocery stores was tabled.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:37 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,876,105 times
Cool Cal Welcome.

Das has good info in our changing saga. Maybe small amounts can be shipped into ones house. Has been on the evening news, but dont know the FINAL answer.
. Northern half of Hamilton county has NO liquor stores, above Hixon area. !
. City of Chatt is less than 10 minutes to Georgia line, where your selections will also change . Went to a Tasting for a Art show, sponsor was a Georgia winery, but unable to buy in Tenn , due to regional competition..!!
. Yes beer in all grocery stores , & corner gas stations, but not before 8 am, think 10am on Sunday . Will ask everyone for their Drivers lic ID. Even 60 years old, but actually a tracking feedback if someone is on Probation .
.. Believe there is a Winery with tours/tasting up North near Athens.? Savannah .?
Here is Official Tenn State website trail . http://www.tennesseewines.com/

Last edited by SPLIT; 06-18-2009 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: More info

Old 06-18-2009, 11:57 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
There is not rhyme nor reason. Alcohol sales are are determined the powers that be within each city and county. In Putnam co. Cookeville city has liquor by the drink in the restaraunts/bars, no liquor store. You cant buy beer between certain hours, different hours on Sunday and not on election day. Baxter within the same county, just passed liquor stores and has a new winery. The small town of Monterey does not allow beer sales in grocery although they are also Putnam co., but you can buy beer just outside the city limits. No rhyme or reason.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:26 PM

184 posts, read 676,457 times
Beer can be bought 7 days a week at grocery stores. Wine & Liquor stores are not open on Sundays but bars serve wine & liquor 7 days a week. You won't find wine or liquor at gas stations, grocery stores or pharmacies. There are some bars that only sell beer & I've also been to a bar that only sells liquor. I cannot really make sense of it all. The Liquor store dasmarian mentions is my favorite. Directly next door is a beer store where you can refill growlers with regional brews. High gravity beers are sold in liquor/wine shops but never regular beer. So weird! Some restaurants allow you to bring your own wine.

Also, I think you would enjoy wine over water... Wine Over Water Benefiting Cornerstones For Historic Preservation In Chattanooga

Old 06-20-2009, 02:28 AM

717 posts, read 2,808,931 times
Just curious--I haven't looked it up, but I would think that there would be wineries in the state of Tennessee, are they allowed to be open on Sunday? and can a winery sell it's wine anytime?

Old 07-12-2009, 10:28 AM

36 posts, read 177,280 times
So in Chattanooga there are a decent amount of liquor stores?

Old 07-12-2009, 02:11 PM

184 posts, read 676,457 times
For Tennessee wineries info this website has a map as well as FAQ: Welcome to Tennessee Wine Country! (http://www.tennesseewines.com/index.html - broken link)

DrexlerMcStyles- There are plenty of Liquor stores here. Most have a beer/cig shop adjoined to them as well.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:22 AM

2 posts, read 29,966 times
You can't buy beer before 10am on Sunday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga