Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 02:11 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,914 times

Advertisements

all I know is these HP people need to be at the next get-together!

Old 08-13-2009, 08:35 PM

20 posts, read 78,332 times
WOW. I had no idea that there were suddenly all of these responses to my post until I got an email from City-data. I feel like I started a Chattanooga debate. I truly appreciate the input of actual HP residents. It's good to hear some first-hand accounts from people who are in a similar situation to myself. And I'll have to say, you've all actually convinced me to rethink things and look at Highland Park again. Several realtors and other posters had scared me off, but now I think we'll take a closer look (and within the boundaries of actual Highland Park).

So, thank you all so very much! I love this forum. It's a great asset to those of us trying to relocate. I'm glad that there are so many Chattanooga residents who are involved. It shows what a sense of community and pride the entire city has.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:09 PM

20 posts, read 78,332 times
I need to ask another question!

I just found on the Highland Park Neighborhood Association website that there is a new park planned for construction in the area. Approximately when is this project supposed to break ground? The plans say they are preliminary.

Thanks!

Old 08-17-2009, 07:35 AM

29 posts, read 94,393 times
Default Highland Park Commons

The plans still are preliminary; I don't think they have a groundbreaking date set as of now. We're quite excited about it. St. Andrews is such a benefit to our neighborhood.

I was reviewing my friend's posts here and thought I would add some things:

As I said before, three houses have sold on my block since May, and they are all now occupied by first-time homeowners. My next door neighbor is an organic farmer who is opening a butcher shop on the Southside soon (that house used to be pretty sketchy, and a crack dealer friend of the former residents dealt out of it). Three houses down, a young couple just bought. Across from them is a gay couple who just moved in (one is a manager at Bluff View).

My immediate next door neighbors (on the other side) have lived there for roughly 20 years (they are the ones who had bars on their windows, but took them down). 45 years ago they actually lived in our house, and then they moved a couple of blocks away before moving out of state a few years later, and then returning, so they've been part of our neighborhood for nearly a half-century. They bring our trash bin off the street after collection as well. Since we've been there, they seem to have a renewed since of community - their house needed a bit of work, there were bars on the windows, and the back alley area (abandoned by the city) was overgrown. They've fixed it all up and taken the bars down, and a large part of it is that they now feel safe between us and their friend who moved in behind them. Across from my other neighbor is a lady in her 60s who has lived there all her life - it was her grandmother's home and she grew up with her. She can tell you stories about everyone who has lived in the area, the names of their children, and what their lives were like. Catty-cornered from her is a lady who grew up in the house as well and still lives there (her mother died a few years ago). In the middle of it all, we have a duplex of Hispanics, who are friendly, and an elderly lady on the other corner. Our block is a rich tapestry, as is our neighborhood.

Over the weekend I spoke to a new resident, who is German (not with VW). According to him, the intown neighborhoods like HP, St. Elmo, Southside, etc. will be more appealing to many of the Germans and various and sundry Europeans than the 'burbs as that is what more of what they are familiar with. I've also read this in other publications, and it seems like we (and the other neighborhoods close to downtown) are poised to experience an explosion of sorts with the arrival of VW.

Last edited by craven72; 08-17-2009 at 07:59 AM..

Old 08-17-2009, 02:05 PM

600 posts, read 2,260,155 times
I think that would be fantastic. Those areas have some of the most unique and appealing houses in Chattanooga. It was a shame that many of them went into disrepair and they all deserve to be lovingly restored.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:26 PM

23 posts, read 70,832 times
Am so happy to find this thread today. I had also written HP off, being told it was dangerous and having always seemingly landed on the wrong end of it while driving around looking at property. You can get some funny looks on the wrong side of town! We love to fix up old houses - new ones don't feel like "home" -- and I'm really big on riding a bicycle to downtown.

Thanks to everyone in HP who chimed in with their $.02

Old 08-17-2009, 02:27 PM

3 posts, read 10,606 times
Default highland park

Four years ago we purchased a home in Highland Park. The area was in a phase of regentrification, mostly due to a plethora of cute, smaller (some large), historic homes with lots of character and potential. We were able to purchase a 1200 sq.ft. home for under 40k. We expect to get at least 40% return on our investment. Lots of "flippers" were in HP at the time doing the same.

First of all, it is true that there is much crime in that area. If you have kids and the means to spend 250k, I wouldn't recommend moving there. You or your neighbors will experience car break-ins, beggars (coming to your front door), lots of car stereo noise, sirens and a lack of effective civic support. Police do patrol heavily, but mostly as a reaction, not for prevention.

The city, real estate agents and residents will swear that the neighborhood is changed, and is a great place to buy. I would be wary. It does depend on the block, your property security and your williness to endure the negatives. Simply, it's not a great place just yet. When the economy belly flopped, the area seemed to come to a standstill. Not as much construction activity. Not as many renovated or unrenovated homes selling (or selling for asking prices).

I am confident the area will rebound as the economy strengthens, but it will be awhile before I recommend it to a family that wants a traditional neighborhood feeling.

Please don't misunderstand, I am a supporter of Highland Park's resurgence. The location is great, the houses are cute, most of the people are great, and I would recommend to younger couples or people interested in property flipping. This is a neighborhood being changed one house at a time, but it does take time.

By the way, North Chatt homes are small and more expensive per sq.ft, but it sounds like the best location for your stated criterion. North Chatt is the community in Chattanooga that many of the older neighborhoods want to emulate. I have lived there and loved it. Lots of diversity.... students, families, artisans, hippies, locals, you name it....

Old 08-18-2009, 08:32 AM

29 posts, read 94,393 times
chrisandeliza, I'm sorry that was your experience. It really does depend on which block you live on; like anywhere, we still have our bad pockets. Do you live there, or are you a flipper?

In five years, I've never had a car break-in (and I park on the street), nor has anyone on our block. Some of my other neighbors have experienced that, but it happens all over the city. Nearly always when this has happened, someone has left something in their car that ended up being a temptation. I leave NOTHING in my car, and I wouldn't no matter where I live.

It's definitely true about the car stereo noise, but I've experienced that all over the city as well. Over the years, that has subsided. My new neighbors are amazed at how quiet it is on our block - they expected it to be much noiser. Again, it really depends on where you are as some areas are indeed noisier.

The neighborhood HAS changed, and it's being changed one house at a time. Five years ago I lived beside drug dealers, the police were there regularly, and on at least two occasions there were fights with 30+ people in the street a block away. The dealers are gone, and the fighting doesn't happen anymore. We had some issues with large groups of fighting kids a couple of summers ago, but that also happened at Coolidge Park, the Riverwalk, etc. They simply landed there, and it hasn't happened since. I also haven't had a beggar come to my door in a couple of years. They may at first, but if you're firm with them and tell them no, word gets out, and they don't come back.

As far as a lack of civic support, I would assume you mean the City. We keep in contact with them on all matters, and under the current city administration, it can be quite frustrating. We have many wonderful city employees (our two councilpersons are great) who help us out, but overall, it's somewhat slack. The police department is chronically understaffed, which is a Chattanooga problem. We continuously ask for more police patrols, which they do as time and resources permit. We also now have bike patrols, but they aren't out unless they are fully staffed, which is pretty rare. The police leaders in our sector and most of our officers are pretty great.

Again, mileage varies, and it takes a certain mindset to be an urban pioneer. Every time a house is brought back to life and occupied by good people, we're one step closer.

Last edited by craven72; 08-18-2009 at 08:45 AM..

Old 08-20-2009, 08:40 PM

286 posts, read 1,085,861 times
LOL, whatever. None of these comments change the facts of statistical data that is available on the web concerning crime rates and zip codes. As I've said before, I'm glad there are some people who are interested in reviving bad neighborhoods, but when you have children, you should be less concerned with being an "urban pioneer." I didn't get my crime info from city-data forums when I moved here 2 yrs ago. But here's a dose of reality for some of you, and it's not an unusual occurrence. All you have to do is go onto one of the local news websites.

Update: Teenage Girl Shot

"We have learned the victim of today's shooting at 2112 Bailey Avene has been treated and released. At the same time, 20 year old Antwan Young has been charged in the accidental shooting and charged with Felony Reckless Endangerment. That's according to Chattanooga Police Spokesperson Lt. Kim Noorbergen."

Teenage Girl Shot | girl, teenage, shot - Local News - WTVC NewsChannel 9: Chattanooga News, Weather, Radar, Sports, Lottery

You don't wanna listen to anybody. Move there with your children then. lmao. hmmmm when you type in the address where the teenager was shot, look where the arrow points! LOLLLLLLLLL!!! hahaha HP fanatics just got pwnd!

Last edited by financelife; 08-20-2009 at 08:49 PM..

Old 08-21-2009, 09:10 AM

184 posts, read 676,253 times
That is in Ridgedale. Yes, It is the neighborhood next to Highland Park but I am so tired of people blaming HP only.

btw, Guns sucks. I feel terrible for the young gal but am relieved it was apparently not intentional & particularly glad she is alive!

In my opinion, things aren't so hot on the Ridgedale side of Tennessee Temple University. As I said in an early post, the other side of Willow is sketchy & I would not even consider it. I am glad the TTU campus is there to provide a buffer. Having good neighbors is key. HP isn't surrounded by fab neighborhoods but in my opinion our neighborhood is pretty sweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga