Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 05:17 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,062,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
For people not to think monee, peotone, crete, beecher will not grow into larger towns need to rethink their thought process.
I'm sure they will. I'm still living in Monee (even if I prabobly won't be for too much longer..) and I've lived in Monee since May 2005. Fortunately, I was able to complete my last month at Rich East High School. That would have been crazy if after four years at one high school, I spent the very last month at a different school.. But anyway, the point is I really haven't seen much commercial developmental since living here. The sole exception is development on Monee-Manhattan road right off of the I-57 expressway.

Crete is popping up though..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 05:26 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times
Here's what METRAs / CTA Rank might look by 2030 when most of Regional Rail projects will be completed....you can probably determine were it fits...i really don't know. It will probably stay in 3rd place , its to early to tell. Most of our Regional Ridership is from the Suburbs and Reversing Commuting has been growing.

1. Long Island Railroad
Daily Ridership : 341,000 (Projected 2030 Daily Ridership : 510,000+)

2. New Jersey Transit Rail operations
Daily Ridership Regional Rail : 301,000 / Light Rail : 72,000 / Heavy Rail : 290,000
(Projected 2030 Ridership > Regional Rail : 467,000 / Light Rail : 382,000 / Heavy Rail : 420,000)

3. Metro North
Daily Ridership Regional Rail : 287,000
(Projected 2030 Regional Rail Ridership : 465,000
/ Light Rail : 105,000)

4. MBTA
Daily Ridership Regional Rail : 190,000 / Light Rail : 237,000 / Heavy Rail : 427,000
(Projected 2030 Regional Rail Ridership : 460,000
/ Light Rail : 523,000 / Heavy Rail : 505,000)

5. Septa
Daily Ridership Regional Rail : 182,000 / Light Rail : 100,000 / Heavy Rail : 355,000
(Projected 2030 Regional Rail Ridership : 380,000 / Light Rail : 460,000 / Heavy Rail : 590,000)

6. Connecticut State Rail
Daily Ridership Regional Rail : 125,000
(Projected 2030 Regional Rail Ridership : 342,000 / Light Rail / Streetcar : 210,000)

Old 05-09-2011, 05:46 PM

829 posts, read 2,087,268 times
Chet, there is a lot more than a few dozen african americans attending hinsdale south. African americans make up 14.7 percent of the student body. The minority population residing in burr ridge and darien is not a low income fringe population in the community at all, as you are claiming. The majority of blacks living in burr ridge are affluent by any standard. And the blacks living in darien are solidly middle class, with almost no measurable number of low income blacks living in darien.

The income information is just as accurate for burr ridge and darien as it is with any other suburb. There is always a margin of error when you are talking about statistics. As I pointed out several times, the percentage of low income students attending rich central is off the charts in comparison to hinsdale south. Over 3 times higher at 52 percent of the student body. Most of the low income residents living in burr ridge and darien are white not minority. Looking at the links that I posted below there are hardly any blacks living in darien below the poverty level and very few in burr ridge also.

Hinsdale south's AYP test results of it's sizeable black student body are in fact substantially lower than many south suburban schools and rich central in particular. I would have to conclude that the difference in AYP test results must come from the difference in academic programs within the schools themselves.

http://www.city-data.com/poverty/pov...-Illinois.html

http://www.city-data.com/poverty/pov...-Illinois.html

Last edited by allen2323; 05-09-2011 at 06:05 PM..

Old 05-09-2011, 06:20 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Allen, respectfully, the data shows there were 58 AA 11th graders tested at Hins South-- that is less than five dozen.

The data on how qualifies as "low income" for the purposes of school are here: http://www.isbe.net/nutrition/pdf/IEG_11.pdf

These numbers are FAR higher than the true poverty line: Illinois Legal Aid | Federal Poverty Guidelines

I honestly believe that MOST of the truely impoverished residents inside towns like Burr Ridge are such edge cases that there is no way to drawn any meaningful conclusions without digging into the census tracts.

The way lines for town and schools districts cut across each other there is just too much "noise" in bulk statistics.

Again, get to the school or at least get some census tract level data and then we'll compare notes, but there are way too many assumptions baked in to the aggreate data to make any meaningful conclusions.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:11 PM

363 posts, read 439,410 times
Quote:
I would have to conclude that the difference in AYP test results must come from the difference in academic programs within the schools themselves.
allen~I'll agree with that conclusion. Can we leave it at that please?

The performance of the public schools is an acknowledged factor in the desirability of one town over another. It is also acknowledged ad nauseam that south suburban schools are generally under performing. May I respectfully request that you clarify your reason for comparing AYP test results in every single thread that even mentions the words "south suburbs"? Maybe you should just start your own thread.

Please don't misunderstand. I do think it's a valid debate, but by no means is it the sole factor for Metra's decision to build this rail line.

IMO other factors like job opportunities expansion and job creation are also high priorities for this area. With less unemployment, or underemployment, more money could be available for schools to expand or improve their schools, via bond referendums for example. These get voted down by cash strapped homeowners asked to assume more than their fair share in times of economic crisis.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:11 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,100,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
I'm sure they will. I'm still living in Monee (even if I prabobly won't be for too much longer..) and I've lived in Monee since May 2005. Fortunately, I was able to complete my last month at Rich East High School. That would have been crazy if after four years at one high school, I spent the very last month at a different school.. But anyway, the point is I really haven't seen much commercial developmental since living here. The sole exception is development on Monee-Manhattan road right off of the I-57 expressway.

Crete is popping up though..
Yeah Crete seems to be doing pretty good
Would like to see development out that way

Cretes downtown has some charm to it and I think it has some potential
They need to spruce it up a bit.

Dont they have a new bar/restaurant .. irish pub or something. friend of mine was telling me about it a while back

Old 05-09-2011, 07:41 PM

363 posts, read 439,410 times
Nexis~Is Metra the same as Metro North in your post?

sunnnyandcloudydays~I haven't been out to Crete since last summer, but IMO the downtown looked a little worse for wear, not really sure why, that was just my overall impression. Maybe they've regrouped? Village Woods retirement home along the highway looks fantastic! My family doctor moved to Crete from South Holland, where he still practices.

South Holland has really made improvements to their downtown, and down along Cottage Grove there's a traffic calming circle with pretty landscaping.

Glenwood built Nugent Square, a mixed-use development, in preparation for the Metra SE expansion. I know they lost tenants after the housing crash, it looks almost vacant now.

Dolton looks and feels like a war zone to me, as does Chicago Heights. (I honestly don't know the difference between S. Chicago Heights and Chicago Heights.) I'm not that familiar with Steger, except back in early 90's I bought a $100 car there. The fact that I could drive it back to Dolton, where I lived at the time, was a miracle, drove it until I had to have it towed away for scrap (about 2 months) lol. The houses were small and close together. Is there another side to Steger?

Cautious optimism is in order.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:11 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,416,337 times
Where's Metra / CTA in this mix? I only see a bunch of East Coast railroads ranked in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Here's what METRAs / CTA Rank might look by 2030 when most of Regional Rail projects will be completed....you can probably determine were it fits...i really don't know. It will probably stay in 3rd place , its to early to tell. Most of our Regional Ridership is from the Suburbs and Reversing Commuting has been growing.

1. Long Island Railroad
Daily Ridership : 341,000 (Projected 2030 Daily Ridership : 510,000+)

2. New Jersey Transit Rail operations
Daily Ridership Regional Rail : 301,000 / Light Rail : 72,000 / Heavy Rail : 290,000
(Projected 2030 Ridership > Regional Rail : 467,000 / Light Rail : 382,000 / Heavy Rail : 420,000)

3. Metro North
Daily Ridership Regional Rail : 287,000
(Projected 2030 Regional Rail Ridership : 465,000
/ Light Rail : 105,000)

4. MBTA
Daily Ridership Regional Rail : 190,000 / Light Rail : 237,000 / Heavy Rail : 427,000
(Projected 2030 Regional Rail Ridership : 460,000
/ Light Rail : 523,000 / Heavy Rail : 505,000)

5. Septa
Daily Ridership Regional Rail : 182,000 / Light Rail : 100,000 / Heavy Rail : 355,000
(Projected 2030 Regional Rail Ridership : 380,000 / Light Rail : 460,000 / Heavy Rail : 590,000)

6. Connecticut State Rail
Daily Ridership Regional Rail : 125,000
(Projected 2030 Regional Rail Ridership : 342,000 / Light Rail / Streetcar : 210,000)

Old 05-09-2011, 08:14 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Where's Metra / CTA in this mix? I only see a bunch of East Coast railroads ranked in here.
I don't have any data from the Metra / CTA but i think both systems will compete with some of the East Coast systems down the road. CTA could easily overtake the DC Metro again , if some extensions were built and ridership climbed. Metra will probably stay @ Number 3 for a while... But its to early to tell , Metro North might have higher numbers then projected . due to the integrated Suburban Transit system and growing Northern Suburban population.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:17 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,416,337 times
I think Nexis forgot to include the stats for Metra in that list. Metro North connects Midtown Manhattan's Grand Central Terminal up through The Bronx and on into its northern suburbs in Westchester County, Putnam County, Dutchess County, and also Fairfield County & New Haven County in Connecticut. NY is on top of its rail game that's for sure, but it ain't nearly as cheap to ride compared to our Metra railroad. I think their railroads are mostly electrified unlike the majority of ours (except Metra Electric & maybe South Shore Line).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGirl View Post
Nexis~Is Metra the same as Metro North in your post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs