Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 07:18 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogwai View Post
I have the same problem in NW Burb Wheeling. I haven't seen CBS for years and I am always let down by missing sports. I am shocked a large network hasn't figured out how everyone can view their channel. CBS you get two thumbs down for availability, and two big toe thumbs down for business smarts.
They didn't pick the channel they were assigned. You can thank the FCC for your reception problems since they stuck WBBM with a low-power VHF signal. I live 5 miles from the signal source and even I sometimes have trouble picking it up with a directional indoor antenna. Either get an outdoor directional antenna or get cable/satellite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 7,118 times
I have the opposite problem. I can basically only get CBS and some Living Well and odd stations like 74 and 91(?), though sometimes I can get ABC. Apartment, Glenview area. I would love to get WGN, WCIU or whatever it's called that has the Sox games on sometimes, and Fox. I have tried all kinds of indoor antennas, the amplified kind, the dish kind, and none of them get me even CBS, just the odd stations. I get CBS and sometimes ABC with a really cheap old rabbit ears that I put near the balcony door and thus have to have the TV there too. And if I use a conversion box with some of the old TVs, I can only get 74 and 91(?) on some and nothing on most of them. Any advice other than to get cable?

Old 12-05-2012, 10:14 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,521,264 times
most cable companies offer local area channel only packages; ours is $25/mo. Depending on your reception it might be worth getting.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:24 PM

4 posts, read 26,233 times
Channel 2 gets what they deserve. They want to be a VHF station , then don't have viewers watching them. Until they wake up and go to UHF, even if you live in Chicago it isn't going to work.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy1954 View Post
Channel 2 gets what they deserve. They want to be a VHF station , then don't have viewers watching them. Until they wake up and go to UHF, even if you live in Chicago it isn't going to work.
Uhm, they don't just get to up and move to a different frequency if they feel like it. The FCC has something to say about that.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:07 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Uhm, they don't just get to up and move to a different frequency if they feel like it. The FCC has something to say about that.
Well they need to do something.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:40 PM

185 posts, read 594,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
They didn't pick the channel they were assigned. You can thank the FCC for your reception problems since they stuck WBBM with a low-power VHF signal. I live 5 miles from the signal source and even I sometimes have trouble picking it up with a directional indoor antenna. Either get an outdoor directional antenna or get cable/satellite.
Not quite. The FCC gave WBBM RF3. They also gave WTTW a temporary license for RF47 and WTTW was supposed to drop back to RF11 when analog was turned off on RF11.

However, WBBM negotiated an agreement with WTTW. WBBM got RF11 and WTTW agreed to stay on RF47. The FCC approved the deal. Later after performing engineering studies, WBBM petitioned the FCC to move from RF11 to RF12. The FCC granted this petition.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:45 PM

185 posts, read 594,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
Well they need to do something.
And they have.

WBBM got a construction permit for a repeater on RF26.
The repeater will broadcast from WXRT's old studios on West Belmont.
It should help reception in the northwest quadrant. I don't know when it will be operational.

The repeater signal will use virtual channel 2.1.

WBBM attempted to get a license to broadcast from downtown on RF26, but that was denied.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:32 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Camel View Post
And they have.

WBBM got a construction permit for a repeater on RF26.
The repeater will broadcast from WXRT's old studios on West Belmont.
It should help reception in the northwest quadrant. I don't know when it will be operational.

The repeater signal will use virtual channel 2.1.

WBBM attempted to get a license to broadcast from downtown on RF26, but that was denied.
The thing that gets me is that station is owned by CBS which should have a staff of competent engineers that know what they are doing. They have always had reception problems even back when they were analog on channel 2. The went up on top the Hancock building and switched antennas which made the reception along the lakefront and north suburbs WORSE not better.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 6,997 times
Default what worked for me

I hooked up two antennas using a splitter. Both are indoor, small and not powered. One has rabbit ears and a hoop, the other looks like a figure 8 with a cage behind it. I left the 'figure 8' one where I always had it. On the other antenna, I put the rabbit ears fully extended, almost parallel with the floor and put it up on the curtain rod above the window by the tv. I don't understand why this worked but whatever. Perhaps more important, I found it on channel 12, not channel 2 in the DTV band on my TV as one of the posts here said. When I tune to it, it still shows up on channel 2 (there are now two channel 2), but in the channel setup it was on 12 not 2.

For me, probably the rabbit ear antenna will work fine by itself, but now that it is working I don't want to touch anything. I'll wait until football is over to mess with it again. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs