Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 09:20 PM

36 posts, read 82,047 times

Advertisements

Yes, we are actually moving to Chicagoland next summer (Evanston/Wilmette area)! We will rent for up to a year while looking to buy but I am watching the market already. One thing I was struck by is how many homes in the area and Chicagoland generally seem to have finished basements. And yet the flooding problems appear to be severe and wide-spread. Why make all the finished basements if it will all just flood? How hard is it to find out about prior flood damage in a home? Are there specific disclosures or assessments that should be requested? How consistent across years are the flood patterns? Are the "bad streets" always the same? What factors can shift those patterns? I have been living on top of a sizable hill here on the east coast for a while and completely lack insight into home flooding issues... Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 09:43 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2357 View Post
Yes, we are actually moving to Chicagoland next summer (Evanston/Wilmette area)! We will rent for up to a year while looking to buy but I am watching the market already. One thing I was struck by is how many homes in the area and Chicagoland generally seem to have finished basements. And yet the flooding problems appear to be severe and wide-spread. Why make all the finished basements if it will all just flood? How hard is it to find out about prior flood damage in a home? Are there specific disclosures or assessments that should be requested? How consistent across years are the flood patterns? Are the "bad streets" always the same? What factors can shift those patterns? I have been living on top of a sizable hill here on the east coast for a while and completely lack insight into home flooding issues... Thanks in advance!
The deep tunnel project was supposed to alleviate much of that. We never had any water in our basement, but we were up on Ridge Avenue.

Unfortunately, it appears that flooding may become more common as a result of climate change.

80 Backed-Up Basements, 50 Flooded Streets or Alleys in Evanston - Government - Evanston, IL Patch

Climate change leaves Chicago area in deep water

Quote:
Angel said 7.5 inches of rainfall has been used as a benchmark to characterize a “100-year storm” in the past, but said the number isn’t as useful anymore, as sizeable storms occur more commonly.

“We keep getting hit over and over again,” Angel said. “I suspect it’s safe to call it climate change.”
The trend has also been for more extreme cases of precipitation as opposed to temperature, he said.

Recognizing climate trends is one thing, but dealing with the effects of these trends is another. Angel said the flood affected him, as his flight out of O’Hare International Airport was delayed Thursday.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:58 AM

113 posts, read 145,269 times
Flooding is a very common problem around Chicago and the suburbs as the region is relatively low lying. One area or even house might be extremely flood prone and an area or house a couple blocks away might stay dry. Most homes have finished basements because they want/need to make the most use of the space they have available to them but eventually any system can be overwhelmed with enough rain. It might happen 2 years in a row, once in 20 years or never depending on where your house is. A realtor worth their salt should know the area well enough to tell you so make sure you get a good one with years of experience in the area you are looking. I personally wouldn't put faith in a seller disclosure because what recourse do you have if the house floods a couple years down the line? There are also sites that offer flood maps - Illinois Floodmaps and insurance companies know which areas are more susceptible than others so before you buy call and ask.

As far as spotting flood damage, typically you will see water marks on the basement on walls (e.g. a line of discoloration several inches high from the basement floor) but as many home owners have found out they can easily conceal this with paint, etc. The problem is that mold can grow behind the wall and wall trim so if a basement smells musty it is most likely the result of moisture and you need to determine the source. Most homes have a sump with a battery backup - I would be leery of any home in the area that did not have a backup system and yes, there are homes that do not. The battery backup systems need to be replaced regularly - I think it is recommended every 3-5 years or so and they typically consist of a marine battery connected to a trickle charger on the wall. You should also make sure there is a backup pump as well in the event the primary pump fails. Ask when the backup system was installed and if longer than a couple years ask that the seller replace it if possible. If you are on city water you could have a hydraulic pump easily installed that doesn’t rely on a battery to operate but these have been known to be a slower in the rate of discharge so a heavy rain could overwhelm them. I also keep a gas generator handy in the event a power outage lasts for a day or more as my house almost always has water coming into the sump pit. Lastly, look places where home owners looking to conceal water damage wouldn’t think to paint/repair. Check inside of closets downstairs to look for the tell tale water line, look underneath the stairwell, look for mildew in tile grout if it exists, look on furniture, etc. You should ask the home inspector to bring a fiber optic scope camera so that you can look inside of the walls and other hard to reach places.

Good luck.

Last edited by chicagohunter; 08-28-2013 at 09:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs