Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2013, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,453 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My firm is taking on a project in North Chicago. I am considering a couple of lodging options, one being hotel stays, the second being corporate apartment. It looks like I will have a lodging budget in the neighborhood of $1000 per week give or take. I would prefer to remain in a more affluent area, with town center type shopping, dining, living, etc.. Low crime, generally a nice area, and something that keeps me out of nasty traffic heading to North Chicago. I have thought about Lake Forest, maybe Wheeling (there is a Westin there), but frankly I just do not know the region enough to make a sound decision. I would rather arm myself with some good knowledge from you folks here on this board, instead of arriving week 1 and still have no idea where to go. I have a few leads, but most of my colleagues that do business in the area are always downtown, which is not much help to me right now.

Thank you in advance.

Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 01:15 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,444,677 times
Lake Forest might be a bit boring and overpriced, but the commute to North Chicago would be quite simple. Wheeling may be a bit further from North Chicago than necessary, but the commute is do-able. I'd also look into Lake Bluff (including the unincorporated Knollwood section of town along Waukegan Road with all of its apartment complexes & condominiums), and also Libertyville. Vernon Hills, Mundelein, Grayslake & Gurnee may be worth checking out as well, but the commute times will be a bit longer for some of these towns (Gurnee wouldn't be bad).

If you want to easily be able to get into the city (Chicago) on weekends and stuff and don't mind a bit higher rent, I'd also consider Highland Park. You may as well consider Highland Park if you were already looking at Lake Forest. There should be some apartments and condo's in the downtown area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.CityDweller View Post
Hello,

My firm is taking on a project in North Chicago. I am considering a couple of lodging options, one being hotel stays, the second being corporate apartment. It looks like I will have a lodging budget in the neighborhood of $1000 per week give or take. I would prefer to remain in a more affluent area, with town center type shopping, dining, living, etc.. Low crime, generally a nice area, and something that keeps me out of nasty traffic heading to North Chicago. I have thought about Lake Forest, maybe Wheeling (there is a Westin there), but frankly I just do not know the region enough to make a sound decision. I would rather arm myself with some good knowledge from you folks here on this board, instead of arriving week 1 and still have no idea where to go. I have a few leads, but most of my colleagues that do business in the area are always downtown, which is not much help to me right now.

Thank you in advance.

Mark

Old 10-14-2013, 06:49 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,711,090 times
The Westin in Wheeling is a nice newer hotel, I don't think I would want to stay there for a year though...

I am sure you'll have a rental car and it will be easy to explore the other areas with Wheeling as your "home base".

You might want to consider a Residence Inn or other motel with a kitchenette but I would not recommend trying to find a rental for 6 mos unless it is specifically a corporate furnished rental situation...

I know there is a Residence Inn in Mettawa, which borders Lake Forest, that might be the easier option -- http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel...orest-mettawa/

If your firm has a relationship with an "executive housing firm" there are corporate apartments available in Lake Bluff -- http://premierluxury.com/forest-pointe.asp

Last edited by chet everett; 10-14-2013 at 06:59 AM..

Old 10-14-2013, 01:31 PM

369 posts, read 764,318 times
I second the suggestion of the Residence Inn in Mettawa. It's right off I-94, so your commute would be easy. I've stayed at other Residence Inns and they are very nice and definitely set up for a long-term stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs