Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 01:27 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1nsp4wn View Post
It is indeed a concern. Those are all valid points. I would say that you've put Frankfort back on the map for me Chet, but those taxes hurt.

Without getting too far into it, I'm definitely not the 'victim' type and realize when I'm being screwed by politicians living in gated communities and well-to-do towns. That said, those are the points that scare me off of Frankfort and New Lenox (and the whole embezzlement and LWN thing). Ultimately I'll have to suck it up and pay one of them cus awesome school districts are certainly not cheap.

My wife hates cookiecutter homes and for my price range, that can be problematic in New Lenox. I'm less against cookie-cutter than her, but I fully intend to honor her wishes as a full time SAHM. We were drawn to Manhattan due to the fact that we've found a slew of 2000+ sq ft homes for under 270K, but no offense to anyone who lives out there, I don't see enough industry and convenience out there for me to be willing to put up with a 3 hour commute round trip to downtown Chicago. Not to mention having to go all the way to New Lenox for a hospital (Silver Cross) and just about everything else if not Joliet.
If work truly is in the Loop and you can rely on Metra I would also take a look at towns like Lisle and Wooddale, you won't have tons of options in your price range but there a handful that look quite nice. Even parts of Lombard or Villa Park might make sense...

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Lisle/4608.../home/18060753

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Wood-Dale/.../home/18167235

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Lombard/22.../home/40166355

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Villa-Park.../home/18102740
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 01:39 PM

39 posts, read 80,191 times
Thanks. I got plenty of time still.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:09 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
We used to live in North Plainfield. We moved to NW Indiana last year when our property taxes hit the $10k+ mark!

Old 05-24-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
We used to live in North Plainfield. We moved to NW Indiana last year when our property taxes hit the $10k+ mark!
I hear ya. Pretty much anything I do out here will be high taxes. New Lenox and Manhattan are usually over 8k. Orland seema to be less due to all the business, but that same business makes traffic suck.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:06 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,083,850 times
I think Mokena would be a Nice compromise. It's closer in than new Lenox yet not as expensive as Frankfort or Orland Park. Tinley will be great too if you find the type of home you're looking for.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:51 PM

I would entertain Flossmoor were it not for the insane taxes and high forclosure rates. I'll stick to the Southwest Burbs. I want to love Tinley, but again that whole "stay west of Harlem!" thing is a drag.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:59 AM

224 posts, read 310,471 times
How about Munster, Dyer, Schererville, and St. John in NW Indiana?

Old 05-29-2017, 05:25 PM

Dyer is a possibility but I don't know much about Indiana other than I need to hop a train from somewhere south. Metra Electric I think.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:12 PM

217 posts, read 581,255 times
Tinley is great, I don't see a problem with your race overall, you may not be as welcome at first but if you are a good person you will be fine. TP has good Metra service. You should be able to find a house west of Harlem that fits your needs. Again do not worry about the race issue in Tinley Park. People have other things to worry about for example when they can move out of Illinois, they all want to. All of my neighbors a coworkers want out, scary...

Old 05-29-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lud Kissel View Post
People have other things to worry about for example when they can move out of Illinois...
My god it's scary how true this is. I believe I overheard that this is the 3rd year in a row Illinois has seen record departures for Texas, Florida, and Arizona. My wife hates year-round heat so I guess we'll compromise and become Florida snowbirds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs