Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 09:11 AM
npj npj started this thread

7 posts, read 9,139 times

Advertisements

We are looking at moving from Oklahoma to Illinois. My husband is looking at a job in Rockford. I saw Rockford had high crime rate, so we were thinking of living closer to Chicago. Any specific suburb recommendations? We have 2 kids, ages 3 years and 15 months. We both make a good income, would likely be willing to spend up to $500k-700k on a house. I work in healthcare so likely can find a job mostly anywhere. We would love to be close to playgrounds, or museums, or other fun or educational activities for kids. We would love to be involved in a community with other educated parents. We would like to live in a good school district or near a good Catholic school for the kids. But it also needs to be a relatively easy commute to Rockford. My husband may also need to go to the financial district in Chicago at times, so being close to the metra might be helpful as well. Let me know if any thoughts! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2023, 10:57 AM

731 posts, read 483,939 times
It's doable I suppose, but be aware that commuting from Chicagoland burbs to Rockford would be a bit of a haul. Even for me, I'm in a far nw suburb of Chicago on the way to Rockford, and even I'm an 1:15 out from there. But Rockford itself has suburbs, and also there are towns closer to Rockford that I suppose can nowadays be considered part of Chicagoland as well, although weren't in the past, eg, Huntley.

Old 05-04-2023, 11:05 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,921,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npj View Post
We are looking at moving from Oklahoma to Illinois. My husband is looking at a job in Rockford. I saw Rockford had high crime rate, so we were thinking of living closer to Chicago. Any specific suburb recommendations? We have 2 kids, ages 3 years and 15 months. We both make a good income, would likely be willing to spend up to $500k-700k on a house. I work in healthcare so likely can find a job mostly anywhere. We would love to be close to playgrounds, or museums, or other fun or educational activities for kids. We would love to be involved in a community with other educated parents. We would like to live in a good school district or near a good Catholic school for the kids. But it also needs to be a relatively easy commute to Rockford. My husband may also need to go to the financial district in Chicago at times, so being close to the metra might be helpful as well. Let me know if any thoughts! Thanks in advance!
Look into Freeport Illinois. It's a fair size city (around 25,000) straight west of Rockford about 30 miles. Very nice community. I've been there quite a few times as I have relatives there. If hubby only needs to go to the financial district in Chicago a couple times a month, this only adds an hour round trip to his commute.

Old 05-04-2023, 11:28 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,894 times
The closest to Rockford and still on Metra is Harvard.....but it's a stretch to say that's Chicagoland. There are some nice neighborhoods in/around Rockford, especially around the Mercy Health sports complex. Nice subdivisions over there.

Otherwise, it's either or. You're closer to the city and your husband has to commute more, or it's Rockford.

Old 05-04-2023, 11:53 AM
npj npj started this thread

7 posts, read 9,139 times
Is Harvard nice? Family friendly? I have never heard of it but will look into it. Initially we were thinking of living in the NW suburbs but my husband was going to with from home 3-4 days a week, but now they are changing it to 1-2 days of work from home which is a lot different.

Have you lived in the Rockford area? Do you think the subdivisions are significantly safer than Rockford? I saw Rockford was one of the highest crime cities in the nation which is a little concerning. Thanks

Old 05-04-2023, 12:16 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,545,887 times
I am sure that quite a few people commute from McHenry County to Rockford. However, I don't understand why you would avoid the Rockford area due to crime. Honestly, I have never heard of it described as a high-crime city. Dilapidated and downtrodden? Yes. It's been hit hard by the post-industrial economy. But, dangerous? No more so than much of Chicago.

There are definitely nicer areas of Rockford. The areas directly east of downtown seem to have many of the nicer neighborhoods, subdivisions, and educational institutions–$300-900k homes. Spending hours in the car in order to live in the northwest suburbs seems excessive, especially if you lack significant existing ties.

Old 05-04-2023, 12:20 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npj View Post
Is Harvard nice? Family friendly? I have never heard of it but will look into it. Initially we were thinking of living in the NW suburbs but my husband was going to with from home 3-4 days a week, but now they are changing it to 1-2 days of work from home which is a lot different.

Have you lived in the Rockford area? Do you think the subdivisions are significantly safer than Rockford? I saw Rockford was one of the highest crime cities in the nation which is a little concerning. Thanks
Harvard is an exurb. You could probably buy a mansion for $700k. Family friendly? I'm sure, but the schools aren't known to be the greatest.

As far as Rockford goes, I've never lived up there, don't know anybody that does. I have, however, been to the MercyHealth sportscore two more times than I can count for kids sports. I think these subdivisions near there are safe, houses are big and appear well cared for. I'm not even sure if this is Rockford. I think it might be Loves Park? That's right next door to Rockford.

I believe this house is in one of those subdivisions:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M81413-88873

Old 05-04-2023, 12:46 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,362,407 times
So, if I understand correctly, commute 3 to 4 days a week mostly to Rockford but a few times a month to downtown Chicago? That is tough!

If you want to use Metra to get downtown from out there (which I think most would recommend), the only town remotely out that way with reasonable frequency is Crystal Lake. A number of trains express between Palatine and downtown so the trip can be just over an hour. Driving from Crystal Lake or nearby Lakewood to Rockford is about an hour though. Both are very nice communities. Maybe consider Marengo. It's about 40 minutes from Rockford and less than a half hour from Crystal Lake. Nice, but quite a bit smaller and far less amenities (shopping, restaurants, etc.) than the Crystal Lake/Lakewood area.

Back in the day when I worked downtown, I had several colleagues who commuted from Crystal Lake daily. They liked the lifestyle living there and the express trains made the commute downtown easy. So I guess best case if you lived in Crystal Lake or Lakewood is it would be a little over an hour to both Rockford driving or Chicago on the train.

Tough situation.

Old 05-04-2023, 02:07 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,545,887 times
If I had to choose between being closer to my recreational activities or closer to my job, I would choose being closer to my job 100%. It's not as if Rockford is a ghost town. It's the large city in the state outside of the Chicagoland area.

Old 05-04-2023, 03:55 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,362,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Honestly, I have never heard of it described as a high-crime city. Dilapidated and downtrodden? Yes. It's been hit hard by the post-industrial economy. But, dangerous? No more so than much of Chicago.

City-data begs to differ. Rockford crime rate is higher than 97.3% of all US cities.

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crim...-Illinois.html

Rockford usually appears on various "top 10 lists" of most dangerous cities in Illinois. Not that these lists are necessarily accurate given some less-than-robust methodologies, but for someone from outside the area using internet searches, Rockford does not fare well. For example:https://www.roadsnacks.net/most-dang...s-in-illinois/

Like another poster, I spent more time in the Rockford area than I would like to admit for tournaments at the Sportscore and other places in the area. I never thought it was that bad but for the most part we were in Loves Park and Machesney Park and not in the city itself. That was 25 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs