Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2023, 03:40 AM

4 posts, read 5,012 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am looking for a townhouse/condo in those 3 cities (Prospect heights) also if the Rob Roy country club falls into it. I have a family and a 3 year old son. I saw in an old post 2009 I think "google search" mount prospect is safe.. that the area/complex besides Randhurst village the Boxwood drive is not safe...is it still the same as of 2023? I saw a fixer upper townhouse in that area for sale and I know it can be a good investment/starter home for use, but have no clue if that area is safe. I used to live a long time ago in the north side of Chicago and then moved to Florida and lived there for almost 20 years. I am now coming back to Illinois for family reasons but doesn't want to live in the city anymore. Thanks for your input.
I am also looking at condos or even townhouses around Arlington heights and Buffalo Grove
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2023, 11:49 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukes_dad View Post
Hello,
I am looking for a townhouse/condo in those 3 cities (Prospect heights) also if the Rob Roy country club falls into it. I have a family and a 3 year old son. I saw in an old post 2009 I think "google search" mount prospect is safe.. that the area/complex besides Randhurst village the Boxwood drive is not safe...is it still the same as of 2023? I saw a fixer upper townhouse in that area for sale and I know it can be a good investment/starter home for use, but have no clue if that area is safe. I used to live a long time ago in the north side of Chicago and then moved to Florida and lived there for almost 20 years. I am now coming back to Illinois for family reasons but doesn't want to live in the city anymore. Thanks for your input.
I am also looking at condos or even townhouses around Arlington heights and Buffalo Grove
Personally, I like Arlington Heights the most.

Hard to believe any area in Arlington Heights or Mount Prospect or Prospect Heights would be considered dangerous.

There are some area of Niles and Des Plaines that have higher crime, but dangerous certainly isn't the word i'd use for them either.

Old 06-29-2023, 01:11 PM

thanks for the reply, I was just searching how safe Mount Prospect and in the city data there was a post regarsing Mount prospect but it is too old dated 2008-2009 and it says the boxwood area where the randhurst village is kond of sketchy, but I asked my realtor and says it is safe and I do look at crime rate . org and the area is around light green (very safe)

Old 06-29-2023, 03:05 PM

3,920 posts, read 6,833,898 times
I only know a little bit about MP, but I do know a lot about Des Plaines and Niles.

Des Plaines has some pretty rough areas too, especially the areas around Rosemont off Touhy. If you do move to Des Plaines, make sure you select the best schools for your kid because the schools can also be rough there.

Niles on the other hand is a great town with probably some of the best public services like awesome libraries, leaf pickup (many cities require you to bag them), and parks. Some parts of Niles also feeds into Park Ridge schools so you get amazing schools at the lower taxes that Niles has. Definitely check out the area north of Oakton or west of Milwaukee so you can get your kid into PR schools at a discount. That's near where I live but I am in Park Ridge paying a premium.

I do hear great things about Arlington Heights and I know their downtown has exploded in the past 10 years. Definitely consider AH as well! Best of luck to you and your son!

Any good realtor should be able to help you identify the safe/unsafe areas. Hit me up with any questions since I can give you the good and bad of some of these area's you're considering.

Old 06-29-2023, 09:48 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,548,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Any good realtor should be able to help you identify the safe/unsafe areas. Hit me up with any questions since I can give you the good and bad of some of these area's you're considering.
This is against federal law and any real estate licensee referencing crime, crime statistics, or demographics of a neighborhood or neighbors can be brought up on a Fair Housing Violation. It is highly illegal to steer people to specific areas or properties. I don’t know how a criminal agent would be a “good realtor.”

Old 06-30-2023, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
This is against federal law and any real estate licensee referencing crime, crime statistics, or demographics of a neighborhood or neighbors can be brought up on a Fair Housing Violation. It is highly illegal to steer people to specific areas or properties. I don’t know how a criminal agent would be a “good realtor.”

Hello,
So I guess I have to rely on every bit of informations I can get in this forum. Like I said I did my own research in the area around Randhurst village but the posts are around 2008 saying it is kind of a sketchy neighborhood, it is now 14 years after that post. Where I live in Florida the area around a similar llace like Randhurst is considered premium, that is why I am asking for any information. Like you said it is against the law a realtor can tell their client those statistics but for an out of state client I guess they can tell them that it is a nice neighborhood or not. For what I've noticed in the suburbs, I have a family that lives in Morton grove, that it is hard to tell about the neighborhood unless someone will give/share an information. There are areas that have old houses that people think a bad neighborhood, but it could be a premium location. Like Chiguy has mentioned there are "sketchy" areas in Des Plaines and it could be helpful for a buyer like me.

Old 07-07-2023, 08:08 AM

120 posts, read 170,112 times
The area in Prospect Heights around Piper Lane is pretty sketchy - it’s known as an SGD area, and is not somewhere I’d want to live.

If you’re looking in BG, I’d highly recommend the Cherbourg or Windbrooke Crossing neighborhoods - these are pretty safe too.

I’d even recommend looking in Wheeling. Avoid Cedar Run and Whippletree Village, but some of the complexes, like the brand new Town Center and Mallard Lakes are very nice.

Old 07-07-2023, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym18123 View Post
The area in Prospect Heights around Piper Lane is pretty sketchy - it’s known as an SGD area, and is not somewhere I’d want to live.

If you’re looking in BG, I’d highly recommend the Cherbourg or Windbrooke Crossing neighborhoods - these are pretty safe too.

I’d even recommend looking in Wheeling. Avoid Cedar Run and Whippletree Village, but some of the complexes, like the brand new Town Center and Mallard Lakes are very nice.

Thanks, what do you mean cedar run complex? is the cedar run drive? I was looking at a townhouse in Lakeside cir drive in Wheeling along Hintz road..I also visited a restaurant in Arlington and asked if Wheeling and Mt Prospect is safe and they say Mt Prospect is very safe even along the area near Randhurst village they say few years back "2008" that there were people trying to do bad stuffs but they are pretty clean now, even in crimerate.org that area is considered safe.. Tomorrow will be the big day I am coming with a realtor to see the insides of the townhouses and will decide which to buy the one in wheeling or mt prospect. I figured to just buy a townhouse for now and settled in and go get a house in 2-3 years

Old 07-07-2023, 04:28 PM

120 posts, read 170,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukes_dad View Post
Thanks, what do you mean cedar run complex? is the cedar run drive? I was looking at a townhouse in Lakeside cir drive in Wheeling along Hintz road..I also visited a restaurant in Arlington and asked if Wheeling and Mt Prospect is safe and they say Mt Prospect is very safe even along the area near Randhurst village they say few years back "2008" that there were people trying to do bad stuffs but they are pretty clean now, even in crimerate.org that area is considered safe.. Tomorrow will be the big day I am coming with a realtor to see the insides of the townhouses and will decide which to buy the one in wheeling or mt prospect. I figured to just buy a townhouse for now and settled in and go get a house in 2-3 years
Yes, Cedar Run refers to the townhouses/condos along Cedar Run Drive. There have been efforts to clean up the area, especially centered along the King and Queens Chess Club, which I’m pretty familiar with. I think Cedar Run’s crime peak was about 10 years ago, but locally, it still has a bit of a reputation as a “rough” area. It’s funny because the Lexington Drive neighborhood in Buffalo Grove, which is right across Lake Cook from Cedar Run, is extremely safe (and gets the bonus of Stevenson High School).

Mt. Prospect doesn’t really have any bad areas as far as I know - maybe the area around Palwaukee is to be avoided living in. I think the Wheeling townhouses off Milwaukee, just north of Dundee, are very nice (you even have Fresh Farms within walking distance for easy shopping). Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs