Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 02:23 PM

30 posts, read 201,197 times

Advertisements

I'm from a boring family - we've lived in the Barrington/Carpentersville/Elgin area since 1846. Of course, it's changed a bit since then My husband and I have 2 little boys, and that is what brought me to this site - because we are moving soon and I needed info to make the 'right' decision. Truth be told, the suburbs are getting very, very congested. Used to be you could run to the store during your lunch hour, run home, and back to work all in under an hour. You can forget that now. The best areas, which I know of from personal experience, are Barrington (expensive and some of the people are not very kind), Fox River Grove (quiet, but one town over from Barrington and Cary), Cary - top rated schools, but the taxes are starting to increase. Algonquin is up and coming, however, their referendum passed, those who paid $3000 last year in taxes are now looking at a $7500 tax bill this year.

Naperville is on our radar (thank you for the posts on that!) My mom-in-law lives quite near there, and we'd really like to settle somewhere with a great school system - though some have mentioned their tax bill is going through the roof now too. McHenry was a top contender, however, as one stated the road was torn up for far too long (there's a great drive-in on Chapel Hill Road that we frequent).

If time travel to Chicago is important to you, as it is my husband, Arlington Heights, Schaumburg, Mount Prospect and Rolling Meadows all have Metra stations, though a nice home for the growing family will cost more than Fox River Grove and Cary. Also, there are parts of Arlington Heights (north I believe) that are having gang difficulties, per my cousin.

I hope I didn't bore anyone to tears!

Old 07-19-2006, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 28,060 times
Default Best Suburbs To Live In

Everyone has their own opinion, and fortunately Chicagoland has MANY good and above average suburbs. The great thing about living in the burbs is that you can take advantage of all of the great things the city has to offer...whenever you want, without the higher prices and some of the day to day hassles.

I happen to live in a Northwest Suburban Suburb called Gilberts. Our subdivision is only a few years old and has many things to offer. And by all means if I thought the homes were built "crappy" of course we wouldn't have bought. There is a mix of new construction and existing homes for sale. Our subdivision has many things to offer, it's a large planned community, including paved bike trails, parks etc. It's also across the street from a Forest Preserve. The community itself is full of young and growing family's. A great place to grow up with other kids! We made our choice based on our children and lifestyle.

The taxes are a little higher (there went the theory of getting more for your money in the burbs), but all in all, it has worked well for us. As with anything, you have to do your homework.

If your husband will work in the city and doesn't object to taking the train, there is a new train stop less than a mile away. As a professional who travels frequently to the city, it's nice to know exactly how long your commute will be.

It's just off of the toll-way (I90)when you exit at Randall Road. There is lots of shopping up and down Algonquin Road when you go towards Lake In The Hills. All the big box brand name stores with lots of new restaruants. Woodfiled Mall is only a short drive down the Toll Way to Schaumburg.

Again, just an opinion....good luck and I'm sure you will love all the wonderful things the Chicagoland area has to offer!

Old 07-22-2006, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 14,043 times
Post You'll love Chicago

I can say honestly that you'll most likey love Chicago. I grew up there and worked downtown as a nurse for several years before moving to Richmond, VA. I've lived down here for 13 years now, have gotten married and had 4 children. It's fine down here-mountains, ocean, good cost of living, etc...but it's BORING compared to Chicago. I have a lot of family still in the suburbs of Chicago and whenever we visit we get so sad that we're not there. It's more expensive, but probably not for you coming from Maryland. Definitely move to the West/NW suburbs like St. Charles, Geneva, Botavia-beautiful, low crime, and still a decent drive into the city where you'll never run out of things to do. It's going to be difficult, but we're going to do what we need to do to move back up there next summer. Can't wait! Good Luck to you.

Old 07-22-2006, 08:24 AM

2 posts, read 28,060 times
Quite the contrary....of course we assessed the quality of construction before purchasing, and were fortunate to get good advice from many knowledgable "Professionals".

Most homes are full of 2x4's or 2x8's etc...(I've been around the construction and real estate business most of my life)...not to mention building codes are more stringent now then they used to be. I'm very familiar with property in and around the city as well as the northwest suburbs. This isn't our first or second purchase...

You're right, it's my mortgage and investment. Due to the property values increasing so much in the area, the pay off in equity so far has been fabulous!! Thanks for your input.

To the person looking for a home: please don't listen to people's assumtions, do your own home work! We all know everyone has opinions.

Old 07-23-2006, 03:31 PM

333 posts, read 1,991,430 times
Default Sorry not to come back to my post..

Sorry i wasn't able to get back and answer questions for my own post. We had a computer crash and just recently got a new pc. So for the few that said **** her...I am sorry..but it couldn't be helped.

Basically, we can afford around 400,000...but his company will give him extra $$ if there is a big living cost adjustment. But like i said, I live in Maryland where the real estate is outrageous. I would love to spend less and have some money leftover though. We came to maryland from a suburb out side of pittsburgh where we had a nice size house in a nice neighborhood...Came to Maryland and bam..the house a bit smaller costs 200, ooo more.

I have three children so a nice 4 bedroom house is what I am looking for. I am not a city person...I am a suburb person. I do like conveniences...stores and restaurants nearby. I really just want nice people...we struck out with our neighborhood in md...very snobby and snooty..if you don't have a hummer or escalade..you aren't worth talking too. We were used to the friendliness in Pitt..where everyone got together and bbqed...or just hung out and drank some beers..where if i needed something..i knew i could count on most of my neighbors..

I know it's hard to find something..but we even thought about spending less on a house just to be near nicer people. I am also not looking to be part of Wisteria Lane...which is my neighborhood now..

We would like a nice back yard ..for a swing set or something...good schools..they do not have to be the best..but as good as we can afford..low crime ..In md..all the houses are on top of each other..half the time you have a house in your backyard...Not what i want again. We are in such a populated confined space and all live on top of each other..Yet none of us know each other. I also don't want an area where it is just houses..no trees, no beauty left...just houses. blah.

We ,i think, are about 25 miles from Baltimore and it takes my husband about an hour on rough traffic days..which is most days...Much longer travel though..isn't a good thing..

thanks for the advice..I do appreciate it and again.. Hopefully this will help and someone will say "I know where you want to look!!" Again, sorry about not responding.

Old 07-24-2006, 10:50 AM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,434 times
Oak Lawn or Orland Park may be your speed. Both are mid to upper class mature suburbs where most families will stay for generations. Lot's of community interest and not a lot of "priss". I've noticed many suburbs suffer from "the five year plan" where every five years a whole subdivision of homes is sold to new neighbors leaving it hard to build friendships and the illusion that everyone is only staying for a short time develops.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:07 PM

32 posts, read 281,010 times
Thank you somebody mentioned Oak Lawn. I've lived on the border for 20 years and it is a nice place to settle for family and community activities.
The western suburbs is experiencing 'The mayors diversity campaign'. Fine, but you, in my opinion, don't mix economics. Oak Lawn is diverse but the people are all working class. He has placed the menaces in far suburbs. Oak Lawn and a few other southwest suburbs have maintained their charm. Real Estate is affordable and its near the city.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 14,019 times
Default 13 years 8 suburbs one opinion

First here is my bias. Chicago over the past 13 years has been a place I have grown to love. You can't beat the food, the summer entertainment, the shopping, it is a great town. The weather leaves something to be desired. I as someone who can't sit still have lived in 8 different suburbs in the past 13 years.
Here are my opinions. The northern suburbs are the most beautiful they have the most forest preserves and are very green. However, I find their roads the most congested and the most difficult to get around. (A 5 min drive becomes 25 at the wrong time of day). The south suburbs have the most personality. The have great neigborhoods and charming houses. However their is def. a more industrial feel. Not enough green for me. The Western burbs where we moved for my husbands work (yes people move out in the suburbs for work!) have distinct little downtowns often shopping meccas and located on the train tracks. This is not always the case for some of the other burbs whose idea of a downtown is 3 stripmalls together.
For your case, I think you should focus on a suburb with great access to freeways and on a train route. That way you can get to say brookfield zoo or downtown chicago with ease. Most suburbs around here have great schools that are better then most in the nation. In return you pay higher property taxes. A realtor can steer you away from the few exceptions. I also want to tell you that the neigborhood you are looking for can be found in most any suburb. We picked our current neigborhood by driving through there at night, on the weekends and saw the families out on the porches chatting and watching their kids in the park. Seemed ideal and is!
Based on my or my families experiences I know you can get those neigborhoods in
Evergreen Park, South
Roselle, West
La Grange, West
Naperville, West
Aurora, West,
My sisters neigborhood in Naperville has a women's group that is super active. When a family has a baby or someone is sick they deliver meals to that family. The same happened in our old Aurora neigborhood. You can't tell me that happens everywhere!
Also money magazine just ranked 100 best small cities and three chi suburbs made the list. 2. Naperville W45. Orland Park Far S 55. Aurora W

Old 07-26-2006, 09:22 PM

333 posts, read 1,991,430 times
Thanks guys..sounds like some great suggestions..My husband actually is leaving tomorrow until sunday for Chicago for work. I found out he would be working right near Millenium park...I am hoping that narrows it down for me as to where i want to look....

He has to work on Sat night..and is by himself..so he doesn't know what to do on Sat during the day...never been there before...any suggestions? Any suggestions on places to eat..he is staying near Millenium and grant park ??

Old 07-27-2006, 08:51 AM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,434 times
if you're husband is working near millenium park and would like to take a train to work everyday, then I would suggest looking into Homewood, Flossmore, and Olympia Fields as possible choices to live (maybe even Indiana). a very large train depo is under the park and serves the south east suburbs and Indiana

Lots of things to do in the park and places to eat at nearby navy pier, also saturday night is venetian night, a boat parade with fireworks will be kicking off on the lakefront around 8 or so.

Last edited by Marka; 07-28-2006 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: merged
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs