Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 04:54 AM

73 posts, read 163,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I was bored one Sunday afternoon after picking up a car from Midway and needed to get some food so I went to the Old Country Buffet in Ford Heights. I thought I was in the movie Friday. Nothing but gangbangers and wannabees in there that day.
Do you mean the Ford City Mall? There is no location in Ford Heights, which is located near Lincoln Highway and the Bishop Ford Expressway.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:25 AM

167 posts, read 396,296 times
In no order:
Blue Island (Vincennes, portions south of Cal-Sag by Robbins)
Robbins
Riverdale (Much of it)
Crestwood (East side by 294)
Midlothian (Same thing)
Posen (Parts of it)
Dixmoor
Harvey
Dolton
South Holland
Calumet City
Lansing (more recently)
Thornton
East Hazel Crest (On southwest border of Harvey)
Chicago Heights
South Chicago Heights
Ford Heights
Matteson (Much of it in recent years)
Country Club Hills (white flight since the eighties)
Joliet (Much of it)
Crest Hill
Naperville (Not that great)
Maywood
Melrose Park
Berwyn
Cicero
That's about it from what I know.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:41 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,031,232 times
Harvey, Gary, Chicago Heights, and Ford Heights split them equally. Notice how all 4 are southern burbs...where i am from. i can't imagine what life would be like in the north or western burbs. that's why when you get posters talking about how nice the chicago area is, odds are they are NOT from the southern burbs.

And the poster's list, above mine, is like 90% southern burbs. Note to everyone: Don't move to the southern burbs!

Old 01-07-2009, 05:38 PM

167 posts, read 396,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Harvey, Gary, Chicago Heights, and Ford Heights split them equally. Notice how all 4 are southern burbs...where i am from. i can't imagine what life would be like in the north or western burbs. that's why when you get posters talking about how nice the chicago area is, odds are they are NOT from the southern burbs.

And the poster's list, above mine, is like 90% southern burbs. Note to everyone: Don't move to the southern burbs!
Hi again! Yes, those are indeed southern suburbs of Chicago. Specifically, southeast near Indiana. I saw another post on here clearly state "Any town near Indiana is bad." I understand that area is "beyond choice words" to describe.

However, the general rule for the south burbs is to stay away from 57. I have been to the northern burbs a few times and I like them a lot better. By the way, I am from Oak Lawn/Evergreen Park. That area (despite losing a lot of old buildings on 95th) is still wonderful.

Yes, the south burbs can get very bad. It's a crying shame that once beautiful towns like Chicago Heights and Harvey have "jumped the shark." And that was how many years ago...a bunch!

Old 01-07-2009, 06:09 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,374,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
WAUKEGAN!!!! It's on the north shore in Lake County, it is also the county seat. It has been completely overrun by illegals, and there was already a substantial population of homegrown undesirables as well. It is the ***hole of lake county, all the trash gravitates towards it...
Unfortunately, I have to agree w/this even though I grew up in Waukegan. The reason this town is such a great disappointment is that, as you mentioned, it has all the advantages of being on the lake shore, being the county seat (with historic govt. buildings and Victorian mansions), and being hometown to the likes of Ray Bradbury and Jack Benny. Yet it still cannot get its act together. Oh Waukegan, will things ever turn around?

Old 01-07-2009, 06:13 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
3 way tie from the Milwaukee perspective:

Waukegan
Riverdale
Elgin

runner-up: Harvey

Old 01-07-2009, 06:17 PM

Here's my list:

North Chicago, Waukegan, Carpentersville, Gary, Calumet City, Maywood

Old 01-07-2009, 06:19 PM

29 posts, read 101,812 times
Default re-

Quote:
Maywood
Melrose Park
Though it is small, I would also include Stone Park in with the towns above.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
3 way tie from the Milwaukee perspective:

Waukegan
Riverdale
Elgin

runner-up: Harvey
I've lived in both Waukegan and Elgin. Lately, downtown Elgin has a lot more going for it than downtown Waukegan (although the renovated Genessee Theatre is nice). I'd say Waukegan is still a lot worse off than Elgin.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nysee53 View Post
Waukegan is not considered part of the North Shore.
This is an ongoing debate. Being from Waukegan, I'd never consider it a part of the "North Shore" although I've heard locals refer to it as the "Far North Shore." I guess some people think if it's literally on the north shore of the lake, it can be lumped with the other NS communities although it has nothing else in common with those communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs