Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 10:41 AM

910 posts, read 2,330,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudes13 View Post
Why even have it at 62 if you are not there? Most houses with decent insulation set at 50F will not have problems with frozen pipes.

Or just turn off the water and leave it unheated.
Well, considering we just closed on it and it's approaching the height of extreme cold temps, we are playing it safe. We'll see what the first months bill looks like, and if it's ridiculously high, then I may spend the price of a flight or call someone up there who we left keys with to set it lower, like around 55-58F.

Before we moved in, the bank-owner had it set at 65F right after they de-winterized it, because they had it winterized when it was up for sale. But I wanted to make sure water flowed through the pipes without any problems, and so did the inspector, so we had it de-winterized and asked them just to leave the water on as I took over the house.

Before I left town, I did shut off the water at the valve where it comes from the street in the basement. Again, I was being a little overly cautious but if that bill ends being ridiculously high, consider re-winterizing, but I didn't have time as I left to do that, and I even forgot to flush a couple of the toilets to drain the water out. I could not say if the house is properly insulated or not, I'll have to see after I see the first bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 01:52 PM

2 posts, read 27,498 times
2,000 s.f. duplex in poorly insulated building. Keep it at 69 deg F all the time. Heating bill in winter is typically btwen $350-400 / mo.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:05 PM

338 posts, read 616,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudes13 View Post
Wow, you people need to turn down your thermostats. I could not even imagine a $300 gas bill.

Programmable T-stats are best. Why heat the house when you're at work or sleeping under blankets?

Not everyone is at work. And if someone has dogs, cats, birds, fish----they feel the cold too.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:19 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Any vintage homeowners out there? I'm curious what it would cost to heat a 2000 S.F. vintage house with poor insulation. As a condo owner my heat is currently paid through the association, so I haven't had to pay a heating bill for a very long time.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Any vintage homeowners out there? I'm curious what it would cost to heat a 2000 S.F. vintage house with poor insulation. As a condo owner my heat is currently paid through the association, so I haven't had to pay a heating bill for a very long time.
My house is an 80 year old brick bungalow--1300 square feet. The house has no "down time" as people are in and out all day. We're on the average payment plan which takes a year's worth of usage and divides it by 12. We have identical payments all year. I looked at last month's bill---if we had not been on the plan, which helps to build a surplus to counteract the big winter bills, the bill would have been over $300.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowdweller View Post
My house is an 80 year old brick bungalow--1300 square feet. The house has no "down time" as people are in and out all day. We're on the average payment plan which takes a year's worth of usage and divides it by 12. We have identical payments all year. I looked at last month's bill---if we had not been on the plan, which helps to build a surplus to counteract the big winter bills, the bill would have been over $300.
Thank you!

What's the average? I am looking at houses, and am trying to figure out a monthly heating budget.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:20 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,945,737 times
Well our house is vintage. Its about 70 years old. Wife and kid at home during the day. Our furnace is 95+% efficient and three years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
We have an older 3bedroom, 2story, brick house with a superduper high efficiency furnace. We usually keep our place toasty. Our max is usually 300 in February and 100-200 the other months (Dec-April).

Old 02-05-2009, 09:33 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Modern windows make a big difference people...

You should know that Lookout Kid.;-) You should know what to do if you buy an older home.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Modern windows make a big difference people...

You should know that Lookout Kid.;-) You should know what to do if you buy an older home.
I know what to do. Having the money to do it is another issue! If I buy an older house, I want to know what to expect in the years between the initial purchase and all of the rennovations I will make.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Thank you!

What's the average? I am looking at houses, and am trying to figure out a monthly heating budget.
$96.00 @ mo. (But keep in mind, the house is NEVER empty and we keep it toasty in winter. 68-70 during the day and 70 at night)

Oh, and here's a tip too. If you have your eyes on a particular house, you can call Nicor or People's Gas or whatever entity is the gas company for that address, give them the address, and the gas company will tell you what it costs the current owners to heat that home for a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs