Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 06:06 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,482 times

Advertisements

I'm not confirming the fact that IN MY OPINION a safe neighborhood is a Caucasian neighborhood. I am confirming the fact that the phrase 'SAFE NEIGHBORHOOD' or 'GOOD NEIGHBORHOOD' is a euphemism for Caucasian neighborhood. The person who asked was asking if 'safe' was basically code for 'white.' I responded Yes, in the sense that this is commonly used jargon. My response had nothing to do with my personal opinion. I've just heard the term used so many times, I felt that this was the case.
I'm sorry if that was not made clear (looking back on the post, it really wasn't).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 11:30 PM

6 posts, read 36,461 times
It really depends on how old you are. There isn't a lot of "night life" in the South Suburbs at all. I live in Palos Hills and have to drive to Mokena or Oak Brook for night life. Palos Hills, Palos Park, Orland Park (your best pick) are all beautiful suburbs and right next to each other. Very woodsy, a lot of bike trails, upper scale. These suburbs mentioned are also very close to the train line for downtown Chicago (approx. 45 minute on the train). Overall, and I'm sure everyone else noticed, we have a HUGE INFLUX OF ARABIANS AND MEXICANS where I felt like the minority.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:32 PM

6 posts, read 36,461 times
All neighborhoods mentioned above are very safe, but again, it is pricey.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:32 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,749,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I'm not confirming the fact that IN MY OPINION a safe neighborhood is a Caucasian neighborhood. I am confirming the fact that the phrase 'SAFE NEIGHBORHOOD' or 'GOOD NEIGHBORHOOD' is a euphemism for Caucasian neighborhood. The person who asked was asking if 'safe' was basically code for 'white.' I responded Yes, in the sense that this is commonly used jargon. My response had nothing to do with my personal opinion. I've just heard the term used so many times, I felt that this was the case.
I'm sorry if that was not made clear (looking back on the post, it really wasn't).

Yeah, I get it. What I'm saying is, I'm not bothered by individual points of view that don't mesh with mine, or by having a conversation outright about race or class in a neighborhood. (As your posts did, actually.) That's what the forum is for, IMO.

But I am bothered by the notion that posters using this "jargon" is allowing for a type of veiled prejudice that is not being oenly acknowledged or discussed.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:43 PM

358 posts, read 1,916,268 times
IMO the "good schools" thing is a myth. It's scientifically proven that IQ is highly heritable and correlates very strongly with academic performance in K-12 schooling. I'm sorry but, if your children are dumb, even the "best" school in Chicagoland isn't going to get them high ACT scores.... and if your children are smart, they're going to do well regardless of how "bad" of a school they go to. The "best" schools are "best" not because they have superior methods or anything like that, but they're the "best" because the smartest parents tend to send their children to them (because they live in said area).

There is no proof that a supposedly great school does much for a child compared to a decent one.

There were even scientific studies in Chicago, showing that academically poor students from "bad" schools, when switched to "good" schools, they did just as bad if not worse on average than in their original "bad" school.

I wish this all wasn't true, but sometimes the truth isn't nice to hear.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:10 AM

7 posts, read 20,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
I do find it very troubling that you are affirming the notion that a safe neighborhood = a caucasian neighborhood. Factors like average income, % rental units, and avg years of education play a significant role in determining a community's crime/school performance as opposed to racial mix. (As another poster points out)

Do you know of cities in the U.S. that have widespread caucasian gang problems? Do you know of cities in the U.S. that have widespread black and hispanic gang problems? What two races fill the prisons in proportion to the US race populations? Could it be that "factors like average income and avg years of education" are attached to a couple of races much more than other races?

Old 07-11-2008, 02:19 AM

146 posts, read 517,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliano View Post
IMO the "good schools" thing is a myth. It's scientifically proven that IQ is highly heritable and correlates very strongly with academic performance in K-12 schooling. I'm sorry but, if your children are dumb, even the "best" school in Chicagoland isn't going to get them high ACT scores.... and if your children are smart, they're going to do well regardless of how "bad" of a school they go to. The "best" schools are "best" not because they have superior methods or anything like that, but they're the "best" because the smartest parents tend to send their children to them (because they live in said area).

There is no proof that a supposedly great school does much for a child compared to a decent one.

There were even scientific studies in Chicago, showing that academically poor students from "bad" schools, when switched to "good" schools, they did just as bad if not worse on average than in their original "bad" school.

I wish this all wasn't true, but sometimes the truth isn't nice to hear.

Interesting outlook. I hope all my research on greatschools.net isn't a waste of time. Do you know of a better way of choosing a school?

Old 07-11-2008, 10:02 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubey4u View Post
Do you know of cities in the U.S. that have widespread caucasian gang problems? Do you know of cities in the U.S. that have widespread black and hispanic gang problems? What two races fill the prisons in proportion to the US race populations? Could it be that "factors like average income and avg years of education" are attached to a couple of races much more than other races?
Hispanic is not a race.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:25 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,749,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubey4u View Post

Well rural areas that are whiter have major problems with pot farms, meth labs and drunk driving. Is that because of race?

I still think euphemizing safe neighborhood = white neighborhood is an irresponsible generalization. Luckily, all our C-D racists have come out in the open as of late and we don't have to worry about such subtleties anymore.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:39 PM

7 posts, read 20,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
Well rural areas that are whiter have major problems with pot farms, meth labs and drunk driving. Is that because of race?
You're talking about a sellect few in proportion to the whole. You're also talking about the same additional problems other races have (substitute pot dealing for crack dealing. I'd rather meet up with someone on pot in a dark alley than someone on crack and/or someone who is in a gang). Other races drink/drug and drive also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs