Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:18 PM

3 posts, read 102,332 times

Advertisements

Hi, i'm new here, i would like to know how hard is to pass your road test in Lombard, IL. I've got my permit here and now i'm practicing until i feel ready to have my road test... I would like you guys share your experiences with me if you live here in Lombard.

Yesterday i started my driving lessons with Michaels' (driving school). I spent 3 hours driving just around my house, i told the intructor that i've got some experiencie driving but he wanted me to do his way, doing the right/left turns (hand over hand) and at the last 20 minutes we did the uphill/downhill parking. I was doing only 10 to 15 miles/hr with him, when i've already driven on the highway (at the speed Limit). I was a kind of boring. I don't know if should i continue with them? it's a kind of expensive, 3 hours $135. And 6 hours for $385 (a package).... He told me there is not parallel parking on your test and also when you're going to have your test, the instructor takes you first at the back of the DMV building and then he takes you on the streets... How long does the test take??? and how are the instructors here too??? Thanks a lot....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 02:07 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,925,307 times
Oh goody, another thread where NYRules cant help the O.P. but takes the opportunity to hijack the thread... Well done!

To the OP, I havent taken a driving test in Lombard, but when I took it the only thing I was asked to do besides normal driving was a three point turn.

Good luck, chances are waiting to take the test will take much longer than the actual test.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:11 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
I've never taken a driver's test in the Chicago suburbs. When I took mine I was graded on left/right turns, not obsrving a stop sign, a yield sign, or a stop light, up and down a hill, backing out of a driveway, parallel parking, merge into exressway traffic, no sudden slam on the brakes, crossing two lanes of traffic and how well I observed traffic/pedestrians, speed limits, and the driving lanes. They look for your hands in the 10-2 position while driving and two hands while turning.

I think if you can do the above, and drive left of center - but not so far left you are too close to a parked car, you will do just fine. Practice the skills above until it is natural. You may be unlucky enough to draw the only tester who wants you to merge into traffic on the Outer Drive in the morning. The testers do not care if you've driven a million miles. They only care what you do when they are in the car. Turn off the cell, leave you purse on the floor behind you. Do not have anything on the the key ring.except keys. And do test in the car you drive at home. Test day is a bad day to drive a car you are not familiar with. And do not drive any vehicle that thas not passed a safety check and make sure the tires have the correct pressure. If they do not like your car they will not test you. Do not drink anything while driving. Chew Wrigley's not bubble gum if your mouth is dry. They can flunk you for anything and everything that might distract you.. Pme ptjer thing. Do not drive with one foot on the pedal and one on the brake and forget you have a horn until you pass the test. The last thing to remember is to relax. It is only a test of skills. The tester puts his pants on the same way you do. Don't engage in small talk. Pay attention to what he wants you to do and to the traffic around you.. He will watch to see if you use any or all of the mirrors.

NO driver knows what the tester will do. Some do little and so do a lot. If you are prepared for every thing, if won't make any difference what he asks you to do. You can do it.

{Off Topic} I would think that after living and driving in NYC, that Chicago would be super easy to drive in, but I could be wrong. I've driven a lot of miles, but the idea of driving in the Big Apple actually scares me. I think I will do my sightseeing from a taxi.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:41 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
The way people drive it seems if you're breathing you pass the test...
This might be the first time I have ever agreed with you!

Old 03-12-2011, 08:13 AM

1 posts, read 67,070 times
i am taking my drivers license road test in Joliet, Il next week and i wanted to know what to expect. is it on a course with cones or is it on the actual road? and what specifically will i be graded on? and will they make me go onto a highway?.... PLEASE HELP ME! I AM SO NERVOUS AND ANY INFO ON WHAT IT IS LIKE WOULD BE SO HELPFUL!!! THANK YOU

Old 03-12-2011, 09:35 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,807,778 times
It's actually pretty easy. They will check your car to make sure it's safe (turn signals all work, horn, etc) then it's a pretty quick test of driving and you will randomly park. Whole thing takes about 10 minutes and unless you do something really stupid, you'll be fine.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:32 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,294 times
I did mine in Chicago, I had to drive around the block which included a few stoplight turns (right on red and a left turn), a stop sign and an uphill park (where you have to turn the steering wheel a certain way when parked). I turned the wheel the wrong way on that bit but I knew my mistake as soon as I did it and he was fine with that.

The driving school I used knew the route the local test place uses and all the things they look for and expect, and took me out on a couple of practice runs before the test. You should check with your instructor if they do that, it's a big help.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:41 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,902 times
Do they still make you go in reverse hugging the curb with your car? I had to do that and make turns going backwards. In a ways, I felt like I was in a scene in "The Italian Job"

Old 07-12-2015, 06:45 PM

1 posts, read 24,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryloveratheart View Post
i am taking my drivers license road test in Joliet, Il next week and i wanted to know what to expect. is it on a course with cones or is it on the actual road? and what specifically will i be graded on? and will they make me go onto a highway?.... PLEASE HELP ME! I AM SO NERVOUS AND ANY INFO ON WHAT IT IS LIKE WOULD BE SO HELPFUL!!! THANK YOU
How was it? Was it easy? I'm getting mine in a few days at the Joliet DMV.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:21 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
Dunno much because I have not taken one in a long time. My mom passed hers at age 85 right before she died. She gave me 2 tips. One is to stop behind the crosswalk line at a stop sign. Second always put your turn signal on even if you are parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs