Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 12:36 PM

3,936 posts, read 6,852,545 times

Advertisements

I live in a true suburb called Park Ridge.

It pretty much fits the bill on everything you listed EXCEPT being "a long walk to urban area". At least not the urban area I would consider to be downtown Chicago.

You CAN walk to many restaurants and bars though. Also, you say "Subway" but up here we would call it the "L" or public transit since our rail systems are not underground in the outskirts.

Things I LOVE about Park Ridge:
Great public schools if you plan to have children
Suburban living close to urban amenities: Airports, The "L", Grocery Stores, Restaurants, and Shopping.
Primarily Single Family Homes which means less density of people/traffic and more uniform social classes.
Space - I have a fairly good sized Single Family House with a yard big enough to kick around a soccer ball. It's very hard to find that anywhere in the city.
Greenery - The area is known for it's variety of mature trees especially the endangered Ash Tree. Our arborist department does the best they can to keep the trees in good shape but we lose quite a few each year.

Other areas you may consider include Edison Park and Norridge. EP is located in Chicago and norridge is like Park Ridge but it's a little southern and more urban compared to PR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2022, 01:06 PM

4,660 posts, read 3,281,859 times
ChiGuy2.5, good day!

And don't you DARE mention Park Ridge without a shout out to Don Juan's Cantina!

Thanks for the Edison Park shout out, though. I had a Tony's Deli sub sandwich on my mind yesterday!

Old 07-11-2022, 02:06 PM

212 posts, read 232,044 times
If the OP really wants to not use street smarts, I think Park Ridge is safe enough that you could put your headphones on and stare at your phone while walking around at 3 am without worrying

Old 07-11-2022, 02:41 PM

3,936 posts, read 6,852,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
ChiGuy2.5, good day!

And don't you DARE mention Park Ridge without a shout out to Don Juan's Cantina!

Thanks for the Edison Park shout out, though. I had a Tony's Deli sub sandwich on my mind yesterday!
I haven't been there since they moved out of Edison Park. I've heard it's much improved, but they were extremely underwhelming in service and quality when I visited the Edison Park location.

I'm ashamed to say I haven't yet been to Tony's personally but I have had their subs and they are certainly delicious! My go to Italian Deli is called Minellis up on Milwaukee and Oakton. If you haven't been yet I recommend a visit! Grab their frozen meatballs, best you'll ever have at home!

Old 07-11-2022, 02:50 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,141,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Merz is the apothecary. It's awesome!

Gene's is a few store fronts north and has amazing deli and meat selection. They even dry age steak on premise. Had the dry aged cowboy steak tonight with the family. Delicious.
RE: Gene's...Don't forget their awesome rooftop where you can sip beers and eat grilled meats! I love that place.

Old 07-11-2022, 02:55 PM

ChiGuy2.5, hello!

I concur Don Juan's HAS improved. In fact, I've been a couple of times and their shrimp tacos were delicious and their salsa was WAY better! What I DO miss is the old location's ambiance as well as location being ON the block with all my other Edison Park faves!

Now just to be clear, I will NOT accept your heretic claim of never being to Tony's Deli. SIR, do you understand I've brought my Milwaukee people down to enjoy this particular deli?!?

That said, you mentioned an Italian Deli on Oakton and Milwaukee Avenue??.... I can not fathom ever seeing the place!. I must check it out.. P.S. Amicis on Milwaukee Avenue and Harlem is gorgeous this time of year, on the patio. It so resembles an Italian Villa!

Old 07-11-2022, 03:02 PM

quigboto, thank you for mentioning Gene's Deli. But STOP this torture!

I came down yesterday. I rode my bike from the Square to 24th and Oakley, and back. By the time I got back, Gene's was closed.

P.S. If it wasn't mentioned here yet, I do believe the rooftop only accepts cash. I was there last weekend, and had lunch and a couple of drinks. And I helped this sweet, old lady (she must have had some form of dementia) down the steps, and then down to the main floor to find her brother (who also seemed to have a form of dementia). I literally saw the dude through the window, out on the sidewalk walking away!

The OP will LOVE the Square.... As I said about Edison Park, I've introduced both areas to Chicagoans AND Milwaukeeans. Everyone falls in love with the charm of these places, the Square in particular.

Old 07-12-2022, 04:34 AM

6 posts, read 7,505 times
Lincoln Square or maybe Edison Park may be just the thing.

One question…may be a little early for me to be asking, but…how common are apartments with attached/adjacent garage or carport parking in these areas?

Old 07-12-2022, 08:45 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,716,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
RE: Gene's...Don't forget their awesome rooftop where you can sip beers and eat grilled meats! I love that place.
Of course, how could I not mention the rooftop!!!

Old 07-12-2022, 09:23 AM

Vlajos, you must have been having a really AWESOME day going, if you forgot to mention that roof top!

Hey, it happens!

I wish I could remember the name of the guy that works the grill (tall, thin, glasses) because he has been teasing me about the free pretzel he has owed me since about 2020!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago