Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 09:03 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Kmanshouse, what's so great about Lincoln Square?? PFFT!!

I should stop telling people.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2022, 09:27 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,246,186 times
Kmanshouse, Sir, before you stop, tell ME!!!

I did almost lose it with the dude at the Greek Place last week.... But I maintained!

Jerry's was fantastic yesterday, as the sun baked me on the patio, in the afternoon.

And a couple of good dranks at Bourbon to follow!

I DID get in trouble, I have to tell you, for something I posted on Facebook about Lincoln Square (not sure if you, or anyone else on here is on that page?). It is the Block Club group.

I definitely, and UNINTENTIONALLY, caused a disturbance. So I apologize for that!

But KEEP PROMOTING LINCOLN SQUARE, bro!

Old 10-10-2022, 11:12 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,366 times
^^^Lincoln Square actually seems like a great fit for the OP. I'd also suggest Roscoe Village, Hyde Park, Andersonville and others, but would need more information (budget, rent/buy, commute, etc.)

Old 10-10-2022, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Kmanshouse, Sir, before you stop, tell ME!!!

I did almost lose it with the dude at the Greek Place last week.... But I maintained!

Jerry's was fantastic yesterday, as the sun baked me on the patio, in the afternoon.

And a couple of good dranks at Bourbon to follow!

I DID get in trouble, I have to tell you, for something I posted on Facebook about Lincoln Square (not sure if you, or anyone else on here is on that page?). It is the Block Club group.

I definitely, and UNINTENTIONALLY, caused a disturbance. So I apologize for that!

But KEEP PROMOTING LINCOLN SQUARE, bro!
No, I'm not on that group. There is a Ravenswood one called Ravenswood, Chicago Online Community Group that I subscribe to but don't participate in that often.

Old 10-10-2022, 03:37 PM

Kmanshouse, Ravenswood is named for that interesting street that follows the train line?

I understand several breweries and/or pizza places have popped up in that area?

I've ridden my bike down it, but never tried the establishments. Any recommendations?

Old 10-10-2022, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Kmanshouse, Ravenswood is named for that interesting street that follows the train line?

I understand several breweries and/or pizza places have popped up in that area?

I've ridden my bike down it, but never tried the establishments. Any recommendations?
Ravenswood Ave has two sides, one along each side of the train tracks. Most places are on the West side of the tracks (W) not as many on the East (E)

(W) Cultivate by Forbidden Root for fancy beers and amazing cocktails (food is expensive, but a bar snack is good). They have a taproom in the back, separate entrance.

(W) On the same block is RedLine VR. Place is a crazy mix of things. I've only been in there once for a quick drink but have been tempted to go back.

(E) Spacca Napoli for pizza...lauded by some as the best wood fired pizza in Chicago. Very highly recommended.

(W) Dovetail Brewery...best lagers in Chicago. Get the Vienna.

(E) Koval Distillery now has a bar inside. I hate the lighting in there, though. But it's Koval.

(W) Begyle Brewery.....I always have fun there, but the beer is just okay.

(W) Not a fan of Empirical Brewery.

Haven't been to Smylie Brothers yet.

Old 10-10-2022, 04:22 PM

Kmanshouse, YOU, Sir, should write for Chicago Magazine!

Those were excellent descriptions you gave. I'm not a beer guy ( I drink wine like Jesus ). But I do have some friends that hang out Bourbon.

I'll share your descriptors with them, and see if they're game to try 1 or 2 places.

Thank you for sharing.

Are you ready to re-hear my recent Barba Yanni review? LOL

Old 10-10-2022, 08:27 PM

180 posts, read 634,606 times
Hello,

A few random comments:

1. With the desired combo of nature + urban stuff, I'd recommend somewhere near the lake basically anywhere from Old Town to Edgewater. Lincoln Park (park not the neighborhood) is gigantic and Lake Michigan is mesmerizing (even in the winter). It also gives you access to the lakefront trail so you can bike to the southside / downtown giving you more great lakefront + Jackson Park for more nature. You'll of course have all the coffee shops, live theater, etc. you could ever want in that area. Rogers Park (north of Edgewater) is great too but, as a newcomer, I'd recommend living closer to the city center to make exploring Chicago easier.

2. As a transplant to Chicago I know its hard to believe at first (I didn't ) but I'd stop thinking about a "30 minutes drive to downtown" and think about a 30 minute train, bike, or walk. This is especially true in the Northside lake neighborhoods. My wife and I have a car (we live in Uptown which is part of where I'd recommended) Outside of trips to Michigan / Wisconsin for more nature, I've used it literally 2 times since May. Groceries, etc. you can get by bike (bigger stores) or walk to corner store.

3. Chicago being a "high cost of living city" is (arguably) about 10 years out of date. There are sources now claiming its relatively on par with sunbelt cities. Not sure if I believe them but Chicago is definitely cheap compared to major cities on the coasts and nearly all of CA. If you ditch the car... you save on that and its another win. Gas prices have had no impact on me .

4. The winters are a matter of personal tolerance for cold / like or dislike of snow but anyone arguing Chicago doesn't have great summer / fall weather is reaching / has probably never experienced a Chicago summer. I can see summers being less fun in non-lake adjacent suburbs (ex. Lombard) given: a. The lake moderates the heat in Chicago a bit b. If it is hot, its just a good excuse to go to the myriad of beaches on Lake Michigan. Jumping in the lake is fun. So.. maybe that's why .

Old 10-11-2022, 09:31 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebitdadada View Post
Hello,

A few random comments:

1. With the desired combo of nature + urban stuff, I'd recommend somewhere near the lake basically anywhere from Old Town to Edgewater. Lincoln Park (park not the neighborhood) is gigantic and Lake Michigan is mesmerizing (even in the winter). It also gives you access to the lakefront trail so you can bike to the southside / downtown giving you more great lakefront + Jackson Park for more nature. You'll of course have all the coffee shops, live theater, etc. you could ever want in that area. Rogers Park (north of Edgewater) is great too but, as a newcomer, I'd recommend living closer to the city center to make exploring Chicago easier.

2. As a transplant to Chicago I know its hard to believe at first (I didn't ) but I'd stop thinking about a "30 minutes drive to downtown" and think about a 30 minute train, bike, or walk. This is especially true in the Northside lake neighborhoods. My wife and I have a car (we live in Uptown which is part of where I'd recommended) Outside of trips to Michigan / Wisconsin for more nature, I've used it literally 2 times since May. Groceries, etc. you can get by bike (bigger stores) or walk to corner store.

3. Chicago being a "high cost of living city" is (arguably) about 10 years out of date. There are sources now claiming its relatively on par with sunbelt cities. Not sure if I believe them but Chicago is definitely cheap compared to major cities on the coasts and nearly all of CA. If you ditch the car... you save on that and its another win. Gas prices have had no impact on me .

4. The winters are a matter of personal tolerance for cold / like or dislike of snow but anyone arguing Chicago doesn't have great summer / fall weather is reaching / has probably never experienced a Chicago summer. I can see summers being less fun in non-lake adjacent suburbs (ex. Lombard) given: a. The lake moderates the heat in Chicago a bit b. If it is hot, its just a good excuse to go to the myriad of beaches on Lake Michigan. Jumping in the lake is fun. So.. maybe that's why .
Lots of good guidance here.

Old 10-11-2022, 09:36 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,248,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebitdadada View Post
Sunbelt cities are now on par with Chicago housing costs, however many of those cities are seeing big price declines that are giving up all the pandemic gains. Chicago, which did not see huge pandemic gains, is steady or slightly declining.

If you are a city person it's a no-brainer where to live unless you really dislike winter. I have family outside Charlotte and their house exceeded mine in price during the pandemic. That made no sense to me as they are in an exurb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago