Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2023, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 884 times

Advertisements

Hey I'm going to be moving to Chicago next summer and was wondering what places would be good to live as a new college grad who doesn't know anyone in the city. I did a little bit of research and I was thinking South loop but what do y'all think? I'm Nigerian so I was wondering if there were any nigerian/african communities I could tap into? I'd also appreciate any moving tips you have because I know it can be super expensive and that's something I'm concerned about. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2023, 08:19 AM

747 posts, read 579,391 times
South loop may be all right, but it depends on your budget and space needs. The South side is generally less expensive than the more popular northside neighborhoods. Apartments above businesses are cheaper. It also depends on your access to public trans, perhaps, and places im portant to you.

Old 10-17-2023, 09:04 AM

85 posts, read 113,402 times
Uptown and Rogers Park have noticeable Nigerian communities. Possibly Edgewater too.

That's a bit of a trip from South Loop (30/40 minutes by bus or train), and the neighborhood is a bit sleepy and quiet. Nothing wrong with that - hell, I live there - but it isn't a very exciting or social neighborhood.

Shockingly cheap properties though.

Old 10-19-2023, 12:12 PM

5,518 posts, read 8,763,919 times
Simple moving tip (My own kids have moved this way):

Sell as much as you can before moving, especially large pieces of furniture like beds, sofas, desks, tables, cabinets, even a big screen TV. These are expensive to move. With the money, buy new stuff when you find a place. All your other smaller stuff can fit into a rental van (not a truck) or even into your car. Until all your stuff gets to the new place sleep on a blow up mattress or stay a few nights in a motel, finances permitting.

Wherever you live consider this: Have at least two ways to physically get to work, and have secured parking for your car if one of those two ways is by car. The primary focus of getting a new place should be how much it costs (you give no housing budget) and how easy it is to get to work (I presume that since you're moving to the city, you will have a office location and won't be working remotely).

Yes, South Loop, from what I'm learning from friends and relatives in ChiTown, is increasingly popular among young Black professionals. I don't know where the Nigerian diaspora is in Chicago, but remember that public transit in the city is pretty strong, so even if you don't live in the community it probably won't be a heavy lift to get there when you want to.

Old 12-17-2023, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 774 times
im a few months late but rogers park has a fair bit of nigerians, its also the neighborhood the school loyola is in.

Old 12-18-2023, 08:43 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,830,689 times
Check Rogers Park and Uptown according to this thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskChicago/...ty_in_chicago/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: