Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 11:08 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,410,209 times

Advertisements

My niece moved to Chicago (college student) and every month or so I try to take her out for lunch and introduce her to one of the Chicago neighborhoods.

So far we went to Pilsen - had lunch at 5 Rabinitos and walked around. She liked the murals along the train tracks. Then Andersonville and had tasty baked goods at Lost Larson and walked around that area.... into bookstores and the Brown Elephant etc.. Took her to a show at the old/new Biograph another time.

Next is Ukrainian Village, where I hope we can get into Kasama. Where would you walk around mid-day that a college student might like? Hopefully it wont be too cold....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2024, 02:38 PM

884 posts, read 622,450 times
I can make some suggestions of things to do in Ukrainian Village.

1) The Ukrainian National Museum of Chicago. This museum features thousands of items on display, including clothing, textiles, ceramics, and wood objects. It also has a collection of Ukrainian fine art, such as paintings, sculptures, and drawings.

2) The Ukrainian Institute of Modern Art. It has permanent collections, as well as exhibitions viewable for a limited time.

3) The Vertical Gallery. This gallery offers an open space for national and international artists to showcase their work. New artists are highlighted at monthly exhibits.

To get a jolt of caffeine, try the Star Lounge Coffee Bar. Its walls feature works by local artists.

Old 02-18-2024, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post
I can make some suggestions of things to do in Ukrainian Village.

1) The Ukrainian National Museum of Chicago. This museum features thousands of items on display, including clothing, textiles, ceramics, and wood objects. It also has a collection of Ukrainian fine art, such as paintings, sculptures, and drawings.

2) The Ukrainian Institute of Modern Art. It has permanent collections, as well as exhibitions viewable for a limited time.

3) The Vertical Gallery. This gallery offers an open space for national and international artists to showcase their work. New artists are highlighted at monthly exhibits.

To get a jolt of caffeine, try the Star Lounge Coffee Bar. Its walls feature works by local artists.
Thank you!

Those do sound like popular choices. Are they in close proximity so parking and then walking will work?

Old 02-18-2024, 02:52 PM

884 posts, read 622,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Thank you!

Those do sound like popular choices. Are they in close proximity so parking and then walking will work?
Yes, the Museum is located on Superior St. The Institute, Gallery, and Star Lounge are along a six-block stretch of Chicago Ave. (2000-2500W).

Last edited by Nearwest; 02-18-2024 at 03:06 PM..

Old 02-18-2024, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the info.

Has anyone eaten at Tryzub?

I wouldn't have thought Ukrainian food would be an option for lunch, especially as my niece doesn't eat much meat (mostly seafood/vegetarian), but it looks pretty interesting.

Old 02-20-2024, 07:02 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
I live in the neighborhood - there are a ton of restaurants.

Along Chicago Ave - a bit more east, you have Provare, Chi-Latin, Brasero, Yuzu - all either new or standbys with excellent food. Forbidden Root is a great spot for a mix of food and beer.

Kasama you will need to stand in line for at least 1 hour outside to get in, for breakfast/lunch. Dinner is a $275 pp prix fixe menu only and very hard to get into.

Tuman's is a friendly divey bar with GREAT food - way better than the usual bar. Skip Barcocina

Skip Lao Peng You unless you like very greasy Chinese food. Tasty, but very greasy.

Plenty of options for a great meal.

Old 02-20-2024, 08:28 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
Kmanshouse, good morning.

You can be my tour guide and show me some of your favorite places in your new hood.

I ended up going to Chinatown on Sunday, and then for some good German beers at Himmels, in your old hood.

Old 02-20-2024, 08:52 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
ahhh Himmels

Old 02-20-2024, 09:17 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
Kmanshouse,

Can you speak on the pizza at Himmels??

Also, any German places near Ukraine Village, then?

Old 02-20-2024, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
I live in the neighborhood - there are a ton of restaurants.

Along Chicago Ave - a bit more east, you have Provare, Chi-Latin, Brasero, Yuzu - all either new or standbys with excellent food. Forbidden Root is a great spot for a mix of food and beer.

Kasama you will need to stand in line for at least 1 hour outside to get in, for breakfast/lunch. Dinner is a $275 pp prix fixe menu only and very hard to get into.

Tuman's is a friendly divey bar with GREAT food - way better than the usual bar. Skip Barcocina

Skip Lao Peng You unless you like very greasy Chinese food. Tasty, but very greasy.

Plenty of options for a great meal.

Thank you so much for this.

I was thinking about ordering Cardamom Kouign Amman online early that AM, and then go early to Kasama. If the line is longer than 15 min, just take the pastries to go and find someplace to just sit and eat them.... and then have an lunch in Ukrainian Village somewhere else, after walking around. Wonder if we can go to the Garfield park conservatory and just eat them there with some coffee in that room that allows food.....

Any of those interesting restaurant recommendations that you would highlight for someone who is an adventurous eater (and a great young cook), but doesn't eat meat (just fish/vegetarian) - my niece? I eat everything. What is your favorite? And Tryzub isn't it, I take it? Unfortunately, most of them don't serve lunch when we are going...

She's only 18 so maybe some places we can't go. I was bummed when I tried to take her to Hopleaf when we were in the neighborhood, and they said no "kids" under 21. My fault... We had a bad lunch at a random place after that.

Also, any walking around recs? Would you recommend the museums as well, or sprinkle any specific streets/other stops in?

I don't know Ukrainian village at all, although I almost moved there 10 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago