Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 11:14 AM

811 posts, read 809,900 times

Advertisements

Someone posted that on my Facebook wall
What's your opinion about that statement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 01:40 PM

337 posts, read 409,029 times
It sounds about right. However we don't necessarily feel or get peoples compassion on a daily basis, unless we need it. For example when I went into the hospital some people that I didn't expect, reached out to me with compassion and caring. It reminds me of how we say such good things about people at their funerals but not necessarily to their faces while they are still living.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:09 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,175,293 times
Very true title - it's why the world looks upon the church with such disdain. Instead of churches putting people through membership classes, everyone should be required to write this a hundred times on a chalkboard:

God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, not imputing their trespasses to them; and has committed to us the word of reconciliation.

Last edited by mensaguy; 04-19-2019 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: No red texT allowed. Read the rules.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:12 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,279,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Very true title - it's why the world looks upon the church with such disdain. Instead of churches putting people through membership classes, everyone should be required to write this a hundred times on a chockboard:

God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, not imputing their trespasses to them; and has committed to us the word of reconciliation.
Exactly little Elmer. The world looks upon the church the exact same way it's looked upon by the church. Thank God that He doesn't.

Last edited by mensaguy; 04-19-2019 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: Removed red text from quoted post.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:47 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
Makes no sense to an old "sinner" like me...especially because I don't "evaluate" anyone.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:56 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Very true title - it's why the world looks upon the church with such disdain. Instead of churches putting people through membership classes, everyone should be required to write this a hundred times on a chalkboard:

There are many who look at the church (the followers of Christ) with disdain, and Jesus told His followers that if the world hates them, they need to remember that the world hated Him first.

I never heard of "membership classes", but it is an interesting concept.

Last edited by mensaguy; 04-19-2019 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: Removed red text from quoted post.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:19 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,932,245 times
'We' ? Who is 'we' ? Me?

Believe me,
I much harder on myself
than I ever expect others to be.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:20 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Exactly little Elmer. The world looks upon the church the exact same way it's looked upon by the church. Thank God that He doesn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There are many who look at the church (the followers of Christ) with disdain, and Jesus told His followers that if the world hates them, they need to remember that the world hated Him first.
I never heard of "membership classes", but it is an interesting concept.
Don't flatter yourself that it is a rejection of Jesus. The disdain for the church has NOTHING to do with Christ, Finn . . . . it is the corruption of His message of love that is perpetuated by the church that is frowned upon.

Last edited by mensaguy; 04-19-2019 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: Removed red text from quoted post.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:28 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Don't flatter yourself that it is a rejection of Jesus. The disdain for the church has NOTHING to do with Christ, Finn . . . . it is the corruption of His message of love that is perpetuated by the church that is frowned upon.
Jesus did not lie about it, and history proves Him correct. Even you prove Him correct. Christ knew His followers would be under constant attack, and that there will be no shortage of people to smear the reputation of the believers. It is evidenced right here on this 'christian' board every day. All attacks on His people originate from Satan. Some attacks are openly hostile, even violent (not here of course), and some more subtle, like your own comment above, but they are all designed for the same goal. Of course it has everything to do with Christ. People have died because of Him, and His people pay the price for His name all the time. Are all believers perfect? Of course not. Are there rotten apples? Yes. Are you perfect? No. Are you qualified to judge the Church aka the followers of Christ? Obviously not, so why do you keep doing it?

Old 04-11-2012, 08:31 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Jesus did not lie about it, and history proves Him correct. Even you prove Him correct. Christ knew His followers would be under constant attack, and that there will be no shortage of people to smear the reputation of the believers. It is evidenced right here on this 'christian' board every day. All attacks on His people originate from Satan. Some attacks are openly hostile, even violent (not here of course), and some more subtle, like your own comment above, but they are all designed for the same goal. Of course it has everything to do with Christ. People have died because of Him, and His people pay the price for His name all the time. Are all believers perfect? Of course not. Are there rotten apples? Yes. Are you perfect? No. Are you qualified to judge the Church aka the followers of Christ? Obviously not, so why do you keep doing it?
No it has nothing to do with Christ because most of the criticism comes from believers in the love of Christ and His commands to "love God and each other." It has to do with the corruption of that Gospel with the ancient ignorance of fire and brimstone fear mongering that NEVER had anything to do with Christ's Gospel, ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity