Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Loveland: between families, company position, baby due, friendly advice, wrong choice

Old 10-03-2006, 07:35 AM

2 posts, read 8,589 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I are trying like crazy to get out of Boston, we have been here for a few years and we really don't like it here, she is originally from PA and I am originally from MI, we want to be somewhere in between our two familes, my company has a position open in Loveland, I am considering it, especially because we have a baby due in November, but my only expirence with Cincy is a trip to Kings Island when I was about 10. I could use some friendly advice, I dont know what neighborhoods are safe and what neighborhoods aren't, for at least the short term I will be the only one working should we actually move and I need to find something thats isn't expensive but yet isn't in a truly bad neighborhood, is Cincy the wrong choice for me and my family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2006, 08:42 AM

9 posts, read 24,313 times
We live in an amazing old community along the Little Miami River...where the kids bike to school, to the pool, ride on the bike trail, etc. It's called Terrace Park and has been described as being a "Norman Rockwell" type of community. There are many old houses in the community and a lot of east coast transplants here... who moved here from Boston, PA, Atlanta and overseas. You might want to take a look. It's an amazing place to raise kids. If you'd like a link to a slideshow about this community, email me and I'll send it. I'm a photographer..so I've captured life here as I see it. Good luck.

And the other thing...because so many people are from all over, there's an amazing support community. And did I say TONS of kids... with parents who have strong family values.

What's your price range? Houses in TP range from 200K to over a million. I will tell you though, when you buy here, it's for the community first and the house second. You might not be able to get as much house for your money, but you will get the community... which I would take anyday.

Last edited by Marka; 10-06-2006 at 02:43 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 10-03-2006, 05:10 PM

480 posts, read 1,919,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillie View Post
What's your price range? Houses in TP range from 200K to over a million. I will tell you though, when you buy here, it's for the community first and the house second. You might not be able to get as much house for your money, but you will get the community... which I would take anyday.
This poster is from Boston, so those prices won't scare him!!

Mason, Loveland, Sharonville, and Lebanon are all great suburban communities on the northwest of Cincinnati. Housing prices start in the 150's on up.

Last edited by Marka; 10-06-2006 at 02:43 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 10-03-2006, 06:50 PM

64 posts, read 316,162 times
Default Look to Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston1979 View Post
Hello,

My wife and I are trying like crazy to get out of Boston, we have been here for a few years and we really don't like it here, she is originally from PA and I am originally from MI, we want to be somewhere in between our two familes, my company has a position open in Loveland, I am considering it, especially because we have a baby due in November, but my only expirence with Cincy is a trip to Kings Island when I was about 10. I could use some friendly advice, I dont know what neighborhoods are safe and what neighborhoods aren't, for at least the short term I will be the only one working should we actually move and I need to find something thats isn't expensive but yet isn't in a truly bad neighborhood, is Cincy the wrong choice for me and my family?
Like I always say Lebanon is a great place to raise kids. And we have the small town atmosphere but we are up and coming. Taxes are cheaper than the surrounding suburbs, and we have old and new homes on the market. It is a wonderful place. And we have the largest YMCA in the US

Old 10-03-2006, 06:53 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,745,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairmetal4ever View Post
This poster is from Boston, so those prices won't scare him!!
Well maybe not quite. The Boston real estate market has cooled off a lot since I left a few years back. And all the wags said it would go up forever.

I can't believe another soul wants to escape from that zoo. Sweet Mary say it is not true.

I also escaped from Massachusetts and they may still be looking for me.

A couple of things I would pass on.

Be very sure you keep super good records of all the accounts, details, etc that you close prior / during a move. That old line in the song; "You can checkout any time, but never leave." So, so true. Taxachusetts assumes nobody will ever leave and it is so, so programmed that way.

In particular if you are paying your car insurance by direct withdrawal from a bank account. If that account is still active they probably will try to continue billing just like you are still there, forever. Same with so many other accounts, things like telephone, cable TV, etc. You may go thru all the hoops, they will try to bill like you are still there. Even if you do everything correctly and by the book.

That thing about how you have to turn in your license plates before you can cancel your insurance can be a real hassle. You need the plates to drive to the new state as well as the insurance. Somewhere you switch to the new states plates / insurance and are left holding the bag how to cancel everything in MA. If you don't know, the old plates must be turned into the Registry, you get a slip of paper, give that to the insurance company, then in theory they will cancel the old insurance. DON'T ASSUME you can just run away. They can turn it all over to a collection agency.

I arranged with my insurance agent prior to leaving for me to mail him the plates and had to pay a fee for him to take them to the registry. All the while I was totally illegal in Ohio for having two insurances policy's active on the same car. The parent company will act like you never did it proper and continue to bill. My old agent and the bank finally stopped them after a couple more months.

If you think it is a zoo and fraud as a normal way of life, just try to leave. They will invent charges and give you a super inflated bill for the valid bills that are forwarded on normal closed accounts. SAVE all paper work, never let anything go without at least a Xerox.

It took me over a year to finally turn most of them off. Without the paperwork proof, you could be in for some big hassles. Big Brother does not give up easy. Even today I get phone calls saying "Vote for Me", they track you so well, the changed phone number means nothing, it is like you never left.

You might even find a warrant for your arrest in the national system because you did not show up for jury duty. I made a folder for the move and saved every scrap of paper possible, after totally planning it out exactly. Saved my bacon in so many ways. Don't take it lightly, they never seem to quit.

What if every state did things the way lovely Kennedyland does. We would not even need terrorists to need a Bureau of Home Land Security. Everybody that moved anywhere would be terrorized forever.

Old 10-22-2006, 10:02 PM

450 posts, read 1,204,304 times
Look also into West Chester, Liberty Township, Symmes Township those are nice areas I live in 2 of the 3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati