Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 10:34 AM

19 posts, read 16,732 times

Advertisements

In the mid-1950's, my father worked for an insurance agency that had an office inside Union Terminal. In going to work with him one time, I had the opportunity to walk around out in the rotunda and also try the coin machine games that were located there. Even then, I noted somewhat of an emptiness there.

I am glad the building has continued to stand and provides activities for those who stop in. It has been said that Union Terminal could be considered either a white elephant or the greatest example of art deco in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2020, 05:27 PM

17,681 posts, read 13,476,466 times
A good friend of ours just told us a story about when she was a child

Her father often traveled by train to Chicago. Her mom would take her with them when she took her dad to Union Terminal. Then they would rush over to Paddock Road and waive to her dad when the train went by.

Old 09-26-2020, 08:48 AM

25 posts, read 140,303 times
Back in the 60s/70s (I think) when the threat to tear it down began, some of the building was in disarray. My older brother went down there and brought home a metal "Push" bar from one of the doors. I think it is still in the shed where my parents lived. Not sure what to do with it, or if it has any value. Also have a framed poster of the architectural design of the building, plus a plate by Newstedt-Loring Andrews from 1978 with an etching of the terminal on it. A beautiful building indeed.

Old 09-26-2020, 11:14 AM

17,681 posts, read 13,476,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unctheel View Post
Back in the 60s/70s (I think) when the threat to tear it down began, some of the building was in disarray. My older brother went down there and brought home a metal "Push" bar from one of the doors. I think it is still in the shed where my parents lived. Not sure what to do with it, or if it has any value. Also have a framed poster of the architectural design of the building, plus a plate by Newstedt-Loring Andrews from 1978 with an etching of the terminal on it. A beautiful building indeed.

I would bet the the Museum Center would be interested in these artifacts

Old 10-25-2020, 12:54 PM

25 posts, read 140,303 times
Thanks, I will check with them.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:54 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,581,940 times
When I was a small child in the early '60s my parents and I would drive up from Louisville on Old 41 to pick up my grandmother at UT. She would take the train in from Norfolk, VA to spend a few weeks with us. I remember sitting in the little theater there and watching movies and those old newsreels. We had to dress up to go there because that's what people did in those days. Hated that part. But wow, what a neat museum center UT is now. Just magnificent. Do the trains still run there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati