Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 06:40 PM

7,947 posts, read 7,877,409 times

Advertisements

I have family in the area (Loveland actually). Last time I was out was 2005. Long story short but there was a downward spiral, somewhat sympathetic to Hillbilly Eulogy here but anyway I have a elderly relative with cancer. His daughter I don't think can afford the house (I'm sure it's paid but still it's big). I recall 20 years ago wasn't that good but OTR I heard has turned around. Part of me wants to go back when I'm vaccinated. Is the job market good enough to maintain property values? It would be nice to fix up the house a bit and eventually try to help them sell it but I don't want to overimprove it and price it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 09:31 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,104,767 times
Is the house in Loveland or OTR? I think either will sell quickly and if you improve it somewhat, will likely break-even or make extra on the investment (depending on what kind of work is needed).

OTR still has some issues on its northern fringes north of Liberty. The exception there are the two north-south streets bookending Findley Market. South of Liberty the place is night and day to 2000-2005. Depending on the size of the residence and location, it can be very lucrative to have high end fixes to places here.

Loveland is a very much in demand suburb, and anything within spitting distance to downtown Loveland will sell quickly. The biggest detriment may be overcrowding schools and the need to pass a new school building bond issue so new schools or expansions to existing ones can be completed.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:57 AM

3,871 posts, read 3,179,348 times
20 years from now only affluent people will be able to live in OTR north of Liberty. If you buy enough property in OTR north of Liberty now you'll be financially set for life 20+ years.

Old 04-08-2021, 10:31 AM

192 posts, read 319,331 times
I live in Milford, adjacent Loveland, and property values in this area have exploded here over the past few years.

If the house is in Loveland, even if it is in poor condition you should be able to sell it easily to an investor. If it is in good shape, it will be even easier to sell. I would consult with a realtor to see what a reasonable asking price is.

If you can, please post an update to confirm the location.

Old 04-08-2021, 01:50 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,104,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
20 years from now only affluent people will be able to live in OTR north of Liberty. If you buy enough property in OTR north of Liberty now you'll be financially set for life 20+ years.
The unfortunate truth.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:29 AM

42,047 posts, read 75,510,171 times
I was stunned to see what houses in Madisonville are selling for. What the heck is that all about?

Old 04-09-2021, 08:41 AM

192 posts, read 319,331 times
I drove down Madison Rd. recently from Redbank to Plainville. Had been a while since I had been through there and almost didn't recognize it.

It may have started with a lot of new developments and people renovating old houses in Oakley and Norwood, and once prices got too high there, Madisonville was next in line. These has been speculation on this forum a few years ago that Madisonville would be the next booming area, and now here we are.

I used to rent an apartment in Oakley back in the 90's when it looked a bit rough around the edges but was otherwise a good area to live. Lots of good memories that I will spare you. I can't afford to buy a house there now.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:32 AM

90 posts, read 118,852 times
I am a madisonville resident (bought my house in 2016) before prices started going up. There’s been a lot of renovations throughout the neighborhood. I think a lot of the transitioning is from rental properties to homeowners. I have a friend who lives a couple streets over (bought her house in 2020). The house across the street from her was renovated by the same company (both used to be rental properties). Then the house next to her neighbor was bought (also rental) and renovated, the guy who’s doing it also bought a house two houses down from that one and is now renovating it.

Old 04-10-2021, 02:10 PM

224 posts, read 299,330 times
I'm in the NE suburbs. Like others have said, houses normally sell fast and at a high price around here. I check out realtor.com regularly and I'm shocked by what people are listing houses for. If the house is in Loveland, I can't imagine you will have trouble selling.

The only wild card is larger events. If the Chauvin trial results in an acquittal or hung jury, and we have a repeat of last year's social unrest, there could even be more demand for housing in the suburbs. On the other hand, the moratorium on foreclosures and evictions will have to end or be eased somehow. In which case, I think houses in Loveland will still sell for a good price, but maybe not for as much as now.

Old 04-11-2021, 09:34 PM

17,739 posts, read 13,547,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I was stunned to see what houses in Madisonville are selling for. What the heck is that all about?

Supply and demand

We were offered (local realtor well respected on behalf of client) twice what our home would reasonably sell for.

No interested, we are not on the market. If we sold, we couldn't afford new home to move into
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati