Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2021, 07:17 AM

6 posts, read 9,667 times

Advertisements

We're relocating to the Cincinnati area, and we're considering both Ohio and Kentucky suburbs - we really like what we've learned about Union KY so far - the schools seem decent, low crime, affordable, etc. However, I'm a little concerned with the close proximity to the airport. Can anyone provide any information regarding the air pollution and air traffic noise that comes with living in Union?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2021, 04:41 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,081,848 times
Typically, morning hours depart westbound from Runway 27 and in the evening/overnight arrive eastbound on Runway 9. So the overnight and early morning traffic is not too terrible in Union. There can be daytime air traffic to accommodate normal daytime operations with scheduled commercial flights running in addition to the cargo ops of Amazon and DHL. With daytime passenger and cargo service, that is typically when you see flights landing and departing on Runways 18L/36R and 18C/36C. Traffic typically doesn't use 18R/36L (the N/S runway on the far left when looking at a north oriented map).

That western runway was originally built to accommodate Delta's growth of its CVG hub in the 1990's and early 2000's, especially with Delta Connection operator Comair having a home base at the now torn down Concourse C. It would have operated similar to Charlotte's three runway setup. Since Delta began downsizing in 2006 and de-hubbed CVG not too long after merging with Northwest Airlines in late 2008 while taking on their Detroit hub (much newer and larger airport, so no surprise there), the far left runway 18R/36L has rarely seen use. That may change as cargo ops increase. And if Amazon expands in 2-5 years with Phase 2 of their facilities plan at CVG, with an air freight center in the grass and woods area between the center and west runways north of 9/27, I can see that third runway almost guaranteed being used.

As for Union, you are far south enough that noise isn't as bad, probably on par with background hums of vehicles going by on the road. Maybe slightly louder if the flights are departing to the south (more power is required to climb), but not as frequent overhead flights as the most planes turn east or west well before Union. But they are not flying immediately overhead at 1000 or even 2000 feet above ground level. That would be further north in Florence, close to the airport, from US-42 north along the I-71/75, Mall Road and Hopeful Church Road corridors. However, final turns on approach do tend to occur over Union and Verona, so there will be overhead flights.

During overnight hours, unless weather doesn't permit, planes approach CVG either from the east to west towards runway 27, flying approach over Crescent Springs, Fort Mitchell, Fort Wright, Latonia, Wilder, and sometimes as far out as Anderson Township in Ohio. Most of the time on this approach, the planes make their final turns somewhere around the amalgamation of Wilder/Highland Heights/Souhtgate/Fort Thomas city limits. They fly over my place at about 2500-3500 feet above ground level and while some of the larger, cargo planes (think Boeing 747s, 767s and 777s, trans-oceanic level size planes) can be noticeable, it is not what I would call loud. Cars with loud mufflers running up Johns Hill Road are usually louder and more annoying than the planes when using approach to runway 27. I think the noise would be much more noticeable on approaches to runway 27 in places like Fort Mitchell and Crescent Springs. Most departures do not use Runway 9, so I rarely have departing traffic over my place in Wilder.

In all matters of fairness, you will not have overnight flights (departing or landing) very often. It may increase with some frequency with Amazon's Worldwide Air Hub opening and DHL's continual expansion of its North American hub, especially if they need more than one runway during overnight hours (doubtful but you never know). Overall, I still see most overnight flights from 9/10pm to 8/9am using combinations of runway 9/27. The only time you may have overnight flights is when winds are strong out of the south (they will depart CVG over you) or winds strong out of the north (planes will approach CVG over you). Expect flight levels on approaches to be 3500 feet above ground. Obviously departures will be higher up at that point if they have not made a east/west turn by that point, though as mentioned, departure noise tends to be higher decibels.

One last point if you are looking to move before the end of November. Currently, CVG has had runway 9/27 closed for rehabilitation (trust me, it was long needed) since March/April timeframe. So overnight flights ARE happening now in Union and the western suburbs of Cincinnati. That will revert back to the above mentioned scenarios before the end of the year. Most commercial flights are narrow body and regional jets with some larger wide body jets thrown in from time-to-time. Cargo flights are what make up a majority of the wide body or heavy air traffic at CVG. Those are your Boeing 747s, 777s and 767s primarily working for DHL or Amazon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: