Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 09:17 PM

32 posts, read 106,534 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to the Cincinnati area soon and are now searching for a home to buy. We prefer 2+ acres of private/wooded property. Many that come up on the MLS with this amount of land list "Cistern" as the water supply (as opposed to Public or Well). Where we are coming from, which is prone to drought, a person would never rely on cistern as the only source of water. You would probably have to pay a service to bring water into your tanks because they would always be dry. I would appreciate if someone could provide me with more information on this subject as it appears it may be common for the area?

In addition, many of the homes have Electric / or Electric Heat Pump for the heat source. Again, where I am moving from, heating your home with Electric is quite a bit more expensive than Natural Gas or Propane. Any comparisons for the Cincinnati area would be most helpful.

The cistern and electric heat show up on newer homes as well as older homes that I am finding.

Thanks so much for your input and advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 07:02 PM

32 posts, read 106,534 times
It looks like the readers of this forum must not have first hand experience with these? Any idea where I can find out more info?

Old 05-27-2008, 09:34 AM

41,949 posts, read 75,153,734 times
If you're out in the rural areas, natural gas is hard to come by. Most people use propane.

Don't know about cisterns; most people I know that have them use them only in the late summer months when their wells are prone to going dry.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:42 AM

526 posts, read 1,481,651 times
Default Cisterns

I once owned a house with a cistern... we had to hire a water hauler to fill it up regularly. Not particularly convenient and somewhat expensive.

As far as electric heat, using a resistive heat source is expensive and not very effective. I would think about oil heat and/or wood stoves.

Heat pumps are a different story but their efficiency decreases considerably as the ambient temperature decreases.

What about geo-thermal heat? They are somewhat expensive to install, but if you plan to live there long enough, it should be worth the additional expense, if just for the comfort.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:37 PM

245 posts, read 1,272,684 times
Both gas and oil are going to be expensive right now, so if you buy a house with electric heat I wouldn't worry too much about it. I would bet that the homes you're looking into are electric because there simply is no gas service (as with the water service).

Perhaps a good option would be to buy with electric heat, and then install those wall unit propane heaters. You could switch back and forth as utility rates fluctuate or use both with propane lowering your electric bill. A friend of mine had brand new wall unit propane heaters in his early c. 1700's New England farmhouse, and the propane heaters saved him thousands in gas bills with the gas furnace only kicking on and off periodically.

I have yet to meet anyone in Ohio who is in love with their heat-pump. I know people with 10-20 year old furnaces who are replacing them with new ones because the new ones are that much more efficient. If you check with the utilities websites, you can sometimes find special deals for installing the new Energy Star models and using the contractors referred by the utilities (< could be a great deal or a conflict of interest; i would check consumer reports for furnace data).

Well water will be hit-or-miss. Some people have no problems to speak of, while others have perpetual issues.

I would get a broker who knows the reputation of the houses. Homes with bad wells have a tendency to be well known among local brokers. If nothing is known, the worst that can happen is you make your offer contingent on the home inspection which includes the well, furnace, etc.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:25 PM

205 posts, read 983,868 times
We don't have many wells around here so if you aren't on city water you're going to have a cistern. A lot of the water that fills cisterns is obtained from the roof although in the "dry season" you'll need to have water hauled in. Very common in rural areas.

If I were building today I think I'd go geothermal but that can add 10K plus to the cost of the home. I have propane (I'm in a rural area) and it went from $1.99 a gallon in 2006 to $2.52 a gallon in 2007. Fortunately I burn a lot of wood so I've managed to keep the cost down.

All things considered - and if you can't go geothermal - I think I'd get the most efficient Heat Pump arrangement I could find. I think this woud be the most cost efficient source that you could find currently.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:42 PM

4 posts, read 10,366 times
water isnt the cost its sewer charges they are 2/3 the bill...
thats all waste all water going out and trash pickup
small 3 bedroom average water bill 375 and up to 450..
and watch what area.. forest park 45240 zipcode have a lot of homes with in ground pipes and no crawlspace so pipes freeze quick and easy.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:31 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,059,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmdesign View Post
water isnt the cost its sewer charges they are 2/3 the bill...
thats all waste all water going out and trash pickup
small 3 bedroom average water bill 375 and up to 450..
and watch what area.. forest park 45240 zipcode have a lot of homes with in ground pipes and no crawlspace so pipes freeze quick and easy.
The OP was obviously talking about houses that are NOT on city water/sewer -- back in MAY 2008.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:03 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,922,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
The OP was obviously talking about houses that are NOT on city water/sewer -- back in MAY 2008.
Sure it's an old thread but quite a few people may be interested in this topic.

I know WAY too much about cisterns and I can assure you I would never, ever own another house that relies only on cistern water. Having to have water trucked to your residence when it goes dry, maintaining the cistern, maintaining the filters, maintaining and replacing the water pump, cleaning the vault, leaks in the cistern walls, the story goes on and on. The only advantage is that rain water (when you have it) is very good water. Low mineral content.

In rural areas around Cincinnati, it hasn't changed so much since 2008. Still a lot of houses with cisterns.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:05 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,059,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Sure it's an old thread but quite a few people may be interested in this topic.

I know WAY too much about cisterns and I can assure you I would never, ever own another house that relies only on cistern water. Having to have water trucked to your residence when it goes dry, maintaining the cistern, maintaining the filters, maintaining and replacing the water pump, cleaning the vault, leaks in the cistern walls, the story goes on and on. The only advantage is that rain water (when you have it) is very good water. Low mineral content.

In rural areas around Cincinnati, it hasn't changed so much since 2008. Still a lot of houses with cisterns.
You are absolutely right that some people might find the original topic of interest -- except that the new poster who chimed in after SEVEN AND A HALF YEARS didn't even WRITE anything about cisterns -- he was moaning about the high cost of city water/sewer. Not even related to the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati