Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 03:47 PM

708 posts, read 577,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
Igrew up in Cincinnati, still have family there and have visited often over the past 40 years. We are finally moving back to the area in early January. With my lengthy absence, I think others will probably be able to give you better and more up to date info than I can, but for what it’s worth, here are my thoughts.

I am partial to the east side of Cincinnati, and one place you might want to look at is Milford. For $350,000 I think you would be able to find a number of attractive housing options….something more traditional/older, newer patio type home, etc. The downtown is charming…lots of places to live within walking distance of the central business hub, though those properties might run more than $350K. You are close to I-275 so would be able to get to anywhere in the city pretty easily, and also be able to access Lebanon via I-71.
My son lives in Milford and I think it's a nice area. I think if I moved there though, I would pick the Loveland area. The downtown area is so inviting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2024, 04:33 PM

3,263 posts, read 1,414,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey27520 View Post
My son lives in Milford and I think it's a nice area. I think if I moved there though, I would pick the Loveland area. The downtown area is so inviting.
We just moved back to Cincinnati and chose to live in Loveland. The downtown is inviting, though I would mention it is so inviting that traffic and parking can frequently be challenging in the central business district. This is inevitably what happens….things get developed, become more attractive, and then what made it attractive (charm, ease of access) draw bigger crowds, and in turn more congestion is created. Still an attractive place, but nothing is perfect.

Old 01-25-2024, 07:08 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It's so complicated My advice is to live wherever suits you best and may the chips fall as they will. Two things are certain in life - Death and taxes. I mean, Ohio is right up there among the best states for taxes in general. YMMV.
Indiana has a property tax cap at 1% of assessed value, so Hidden Valley, IN and Bright, IN are great if you want a more exurban or rural feel in close proximity to Cincinnati.

Old 01-26-2024, 01:05 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Thank you, Granite Stater!

I am trying to live within a half hour drive of my daughter, however (she lives in Lebanon). My experience has been that regardless of property taxes, the TAX MAN COMETH. In one form or the other.

For instance, I have zero, ZERO, state income tax right now. But I have high property taxes! But lowish property values, so it's not awful (if you consider around $5000 a year "not awful"). But today I paid my annual vehicle tax, I mean REGISTRATION, of $74, Plus the $7 inspection, which isn't a killer but still, I mean, it all adds up. Plus 8.25 percent sales tax on everything other than groceries, prescription drugs, that sort of thing. But hey, no state income tax! Which actually wouldn't be all that much, probably, but who knows.

In all of Ohio, most retirement income is taxed. I think that SS is taxed in Texas but who knows. Anyway, does it really all matter? Ohio is listed as slightly friendlier tax wise than Texas. Ever so slightly, and it all varies anyway, so hence my advice to pick what matters most to you and drive on, regardless one way or the other on the tax assessment. Don't get me started on bonds.

Old 01-28-2024, 07:31 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
And of all the criticisms I've heard about Cinti, this is the first I've EVER heard about anti-Catholic biases. It's downright laughable! Cinti area is one of the heaviest concentrations of Catholics in the USA.
Lebanon is not Cincinnati.

Quote:
I'm sure you can go anywhere in the USA as a Catholic and start running your trap about it that you'll find some Protestants/Jews/Hindus, etc that are going to have some problems with you.
Thank you for assuming what you will about my experience living in Lebanon for nine years.

Old 01-29-2024, 09:29 AM

LOL Y'all are funny.

Old 01-29-2024, 09:34 AM

I think there are over 20 Catholic churches in Lebanon and over 200 in Cincinnati. For some comparisn, there's 1 where I live in NE Texas. I think there's about 7 in all of Tyler, Texas, which is a freaking DIOCESE with a population of well over 100,000 people (where I actually go to church - I don't go to the one Catholic church here in this bedroom community of Tyler).

Old 01-29-2024, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I think there are over 20 Catholic churches in Lebanon and over 200 in Cincinnati.
There is one Catholic parish in Lebanon - St. Francis De Sales. There are 211 parishes in the entire archdiocese, which stretches north to Mercer and Auglaize counties in west central Ohio and includes Cincinnati, Hamilton, Middletown, Dayton, and Springfield.

Old 01-29-2024, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
There is one Catholic parish in Lebanon - St. Francis De Sales. There are 211 parishes in the entire archdiocese, which stretches north to Mercer and Auglaize counties in west central Ohio and includes Cincinnati, Hamilton, Middletown, Dayton, and Springfield.
Well, whatever, there's a heck of a lot more Catholic churches in that area than in this area. I'll be fine. And I think there are more Catholic churches in Lebanon than just St. Francis De Sales (who happens to be my saint!). There are at least 17 Catholic churches, not parishes, CHURCHES, in Cincinnati. Pretty easy to find out.

There are very few Catholic churches in this area. Fewer than what I mentioned in the areas I am looking at in Ohio.

Plus, I want to point something out. People from Ohio or who have lived in that area awhile seem to think that a half hour drive is something HORRIBLE. An hour - wow. I am living in Texas. I drive half an hour every few days to volunteer. Until a few weeks ago, I worked and drove half an hour into work. An hour is not that big a deal. I live one hour or so from Dallas. I'm fine with driving to Dallas. I have a friend who lives in Rockwall, who drives to Tyler every single day for work. It's just not a big deal to us. So to say Middletown is a long way from Lebanon - well, sorry, but I find that laughable. Same with Middletown to Cincinnati My gosh, it's less than an hour away!

For that matter, Dayton and Cincinnati are a bit less than an hour apart.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 01-29-2024 at 03:11 PM..

Old 01-29-2024, 04:00 PM

Quote:
And I think there are more Catholic churches in Lebanon than just St. Francis De Sales (who happens to be my saint!).
I did some digging, and you are correct: There is a second Catholic church in Lebanon - St. Therese the Little Flower. It's not a part of the archdiocese, and rejects Vatican II, if that matters to anyone.

I'm so curious about this, especially how this congregation landed in Lebanon. The church is in a building a few blocks from where I used to live, which back then was one of those non-denominational "church of what's happening now" (thank you, Flip Wilson) congregations. It had a big blue neon sign that lit up the neighborhood. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati