Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 09:28 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times

Advertisements

not only in the US but, I would argue, in the entire world...largely thanks to Hollywood, and LA's de-centralised nature, I would say the following are household names in the US and known by many around the world:

Downtown LA
Chinatown
Little Tokyo
East LA
Koreatown
Hollywood
West Hollywood
Beverly Hills
Malibu
San Fernando Valley
Sherman Oaks
Van Nuys
Burbank
San Bernardino
Pasadena
Downey
Inglewood
Hawthorne
Santa Monica
Venice
Torrance
Compton
Watts
Redondo Beach
Long Beach
Huntington Beach
Newport Beach
Anaheim
Santa Ana

In comparison, the next famous, NYC:

Most of the well known neighbourhoods are in Manhattan. I realise a lot of the former list are separate cities etc.

Midtown
Downtown
Lower East Side
Greenwich Village
Chelsea
Soho
Chinatown
East Village
Upper East Side
Upper West Side
Harlem
Spanish Harlem
Queens
Brooklyn
The Bronx
Statten Island
Newark
Flushing Meadows

It seems despite the fact NYC might be a bit more famous/big, LA boasts more famous names.

In terms of famous street names, I'd wager the LA metro is also far more famous (not so much downtown). In terms of landmarks, it's probably a close call, but again Greater LA easily has the most famous names/places/neighbourhoods of any city in the WORLD, be that NYC, London, Paris.etc. Unlike most centres in the world many of the most interesting spots are outside downtown, since its really many cities in one region, Southern California.

Last edited by The Postman; 12-03-2013 at 09:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 09:33 AM

462 posts, read 719,867 times
How is Hawthorne, CA more famous than Little Italy or Coney Island? Coney Island is the birthplace of theme parks in the United States (Luna, Dreamland).

Old 12-03-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtonfordbury View Post
How is Hawthorne, CA more famous than Little Italy or Coney Island? Coney Island is the birthplace of theme parks in the United States.

Edit: Hawthorne (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
okay, it has a TV show. I don't follow TV much these days.
Okay maybe Hawthorne's fame rests largely on the shoulders of the Beach Boys and being near the airport. But yeah, Coney is more famous, though not as famous as Disneyland.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:40 AM

462 posts, read 719,867 times
Disneyland was modeled after parks like Luna, the Chicago Exposition, and several European parks.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtonfordbury View Post
Disneyland was modeled after parks like Luna, the Chicago Exposition, and several European parks.
Doesn't change the fact it's still the most famous amusement park in the world.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:42 AM

354 posts, read 681,619 times
I think it's neck to neck with NYC and LA for me for American cities. And there are places like Park Slope and Williamsburg within Brooklyn, or the Hamptons on Long Island for example, are quite famous too no?

Old 12-03-2013, 09:48 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,710,706 times
There's a LOT more famous areas for NYC that you are forgetting in parts of the boroughs: Astoria, Bed-Stuy, Jamaica, South Bronx, etc.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:51 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
nobody cares or has heard of half the list on there. Downey? Hawthorne? You can't be serious.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
nobody cares or has heard of half the list on there. Downey? Hawthorne? You can't be serious.
Maybe they're more famous to those who are fans of 60s/70s groups. Downey is well known for the Apollo space program and as the home of the Carpenters. And I'd be surprised if any American didn't know at least half of those names.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
There's a LOT more famous areas for NYC that you are forgetting in parts of the boroughs: Astoria, Bed-Stuy, Jamaica, South Bronx, etc.
I'd easily bet Malibu or Compton are more internationally famous than any of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City