Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which river produces the best urban and recreational environment around it?
the Charles River in Boston 39 42.39%
the Hudson River in New York 26 28.26%
the Potomac River in Washington, D.C. 19 20.65%
the Delaware River in Philadelphia 8 8.70%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2016, 02:43 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,955,508 times

Advertisements

Boston (Charles River), New York (Hudson River), Philadelphia (Delaware River), or Washington D.C. (Potomac River)?

Which river bisects your favorite urban setting in the Northeast Corridor's major cities?

- Type of development (along the river)

- Urban form of neighborhoods and districts (along the river)

- Architectural variety seen (along the river)

- Most recreational setting (along the river)

- Most picturesque setting (along the river)

- Most historical context (along the river)

- Most "iconic" of the rivers being compared

Compare them. Pictures are welcomed, follow City-Data terms of service while posting pictures though.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 03:00 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times
The Charles is the only river that I feel is a vital part of the city. The Charles is the only river that I feel is a vital part of the city. The Westside Highway and Henry Hudson keep the Hudson river from being fully ingrained into New York life… That and the fact that there's no subway line running west of Eighth Avenue

Old 06-12-2016, 04:21 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,482 times
In the cases of New York City and Philadelphia, there is another major "river" that contends--the East River for NYC and the Schuylkill for Philadelphia. River is in quotations because I realize the East River is a tidal strait, and the Schuylkill, while a true major river in its own right, is a tributary of the Delaware River.

Regardless, based on your criteria, I think the Schuylkill actually beats the Delaware River in scenery and recreation, the latter of which I find underwhelming. And the East River can be argued as well, with all of its famous bridges, the Roosevelt Island Tram, better skyline scenery, central location between the 3 most populous boroughs, and mob infamy. The Hudson is too big and serves as an urban disconnect between NYC and NJ, imo.

Old 06-12-2016, 04:33 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,287 times
^ mystic river ?

Old 06-12-2016, 04:37 PM

1,122 posts, read 923,638 times
The ass end of my back yard is the Charles River in a neighborhood up river... got 12 turkeys cackling out back too.... ducks, geese, deer and the odd turkey buzzard.

The Head of the Charles happens a few waterfalls down from the end of my property. Effing blows i can't canoe from the back of my barn to the Atlantic Ocean.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:55 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
^ mystic river ?
The Mystic doesn't flow through the city the same way that the Charles does. There's also no equivalent to the Charles River Basin in the Mystic.

Old 06-13-2016, 06:33 AM

14,015 posts, read 14,998,668 times
The thing is unlike the Hudson and Delaware, the Charles and Patomac don't have massive port and industrial areas. The Charles River was never the economic lifeblood of Boston (thus the parks on both sides). The only industry that was on the Charles were mills further up the river in Waltham and Newton. The Delaware River or Hudson River for Philly/NYC were their economic lifeblood for a long time.
The Rivers are not really comparable.

Old 06-13-2016, 06:46 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,463,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
In the cases of New York City and Philadelphia, there is another major "river" that contends--the East River for NYC and the Schuylkill for Philadelphia. River is in quotations because I realize the East River is a tidal strait, and the Schuylkill, while a true major river in its own right, is a tributary of the Delaware River.

Regardless, based on your criteria, I think the Schuylkill actually beats the Delaware River in scenery and recreation, the latter of which I find underwhelming. And the East River can be argued as well, with all of its famous bridges, the Roosevelt Island Tram, better skyline scenery, central location between the 3 most populous boroughs, and mob infamy. The Hudson is too big and serves as an urban disconnect between NYC and NJ, imo.
Yes, this ^^^

The Schuylkill is more important to Philly than the Delaware when it comes to recreation, visuals, commercial/residential development ... pretty much anything other than commerce. The Delaware's eye candy is the Ben Franklin Bridge: it's an attractive and historic structure, and it provides great views of the city from its sidewalks.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:43 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,147,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The Charles is the only river that I feel is a vital part of the city. The Charles is the only river that I feel is a vital part of the city. The Westside Highway and Henry Hudson keep the Hudson river from being fully ingrained into New York life…
What about Storrow Drive? Just yesterday I was in Beacon Hill and thought about going down to the Charles, but I had second thoughts because it was too inconvenient to cross Storrow Drive.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:30 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
What about Storrow Drive? Just yesterday I was in Beacon Hill and thought about going down to the Charles, but I had second thoughts because it was too inconvenient to cross Storrow Drive.
Storrow Drive is kind of a bummer. The bridges over it are spaced out well, imo, but the riverfront definitely would be nicer if that road weren't there.

Even with Storrow, though, I'd say that the Esplanade is more accessible from the inner city than riverfront parks on the Potomac or Schulykill, and the Delaware and East rivers just don't have as nice parks along them.

You could easily walk from the Public Garden to the Esplanade in 5min or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City