Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Columbus OH. vs. Columbus GA. , Preference / Taste ?
Columbus Ohio 22 68.75%
Columbus Georgia 10 31.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 10:17 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,473,953 times

Advertisements

Columbus, Georgia vs. Columbus, Ohio, Midwest vs. Southern versions? We both know Columbus, Ohio is a far larger City at around 860,000 residents and Columbus, GA. at about 197,000, so this is not about size at all but more preference. Some people may prefer a smaller town while others may prefer a Big City feel in a city of choice. Also there is a Midwest vs. South Aspect. Every one doesn't like Big city so it's more a matter of opinion and Columbus GA. does have enough amenities for a person to enjoy or can be livable as far as shopping and some attractions so this is not a closed door factor. It would be more of a Southern vs. Midwest factor. Some people may not like the South or smaller feel as well so all about choice here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 11:14 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,877 times
I've never been to Columbus, Georgia and honestly don't feel educated enough about it to comment one way or another.

I have lived in Columbus, Ohio for five years now. I enjoy it a lot as a young professional. Emerging urban neighborhoods (Italian Village, Harrison West, Arena District etc.), solid economy, LGBT friendly and fairly progressive and a very good bar/restaurant scene.

The public transit is pretty meh. COTA buses and the Circulator are very good for getting up and down High Street (the city's main corridor) but forget about using it to commute from the suburbs. The topography is extremely average here but there are quite a few gems in terms of parks (Goodale, Schiller, Whetstone etc.). I actually don't mind the weather here. This winter was very mild overall plus drinking is practically a sport in the Midwest so you learn to make your own fun when it gets cold

Old 06-09-2017, 05:41 PM

4,999 posts, read 9,143,305 times
Columbus ,Ga is completely out of Columbus, Ohio's league. Columbus, Ga would be better compared to Montgomery or Tallahassee. If you're going to compare them as midwest vs the south then it should have been Nashville vs Columbus or Charlotte vs Columbus. I prefer milder winters but if I was offered a good job paying the same salary I would choose Columbus, Ohio because it offers a hell of a lot more. Now Canton,Oh vs Columbus,Ga would make me consider the milder winters.

Last edited by PortCity; 06-09-2017 at 05:54 PM..

Old 06-10-2017, 02:17 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
I prefer Columbus, Georgia.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:44 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,159,185 times
The one in Georgia.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:21 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,613,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Columbus ,Ga is completely out of Columbus, Ohio's league. Columbus, Ga would be better compared to Montgomery or Tallahassee. If you're going to compare them as midwest vs the south then it should have been Nashville vs Columbus or Charlotte vs Columbus. I prefer milder winters but if I was offered a good job paying the same salary I would choose Columbus, Ohio because it offers a hell of a lot more. Now Canton,Oh vs Columbus,Ga would make me consider the milder winters.
I'm not sure which Columbus I'd actually chose but isn't Mobile in the same tier with Columbus and Montgomery or am I missing something?

Old 06-11-2017, 03:38 AM

4,999 posts, read 9,143,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
I'm not sure which Columbus I'd actually chose but isn't Mobile in the same tier with Columbus and Montgomery or am I missing something?
Yes,Mobile,Columbus(Ga),Montgomery,Huntsville,Augu sta, and etc are all in the same tier. Though Mobile feels bigger and more urban .

Old 06-11-2017, 09:08 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Just because they have the same name, it doesn't make them comparable.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:46 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
I never looked at Columbus, OH the same way I would other big cities. As in fast paced, people difficult to get along with, people standoffish, misanthropic, etc. I do agree with PortCity that Columbus, GA is out of Columbus, OH league but I don't think that Columbus, OH comes across like one would normally assume, considering it's size. On the other hand Columbus is one of those odd amalgamations of suburban with urban that you don't experience in other cities, like Cleveland, or Cincinnati, within the city limits.

People naively assume that the Midwest, with cities like Columbus, Indianapolis, or Chicago, offers the same look and feel that they would get on either Coast. A lot of Midwestern cities are large amalgamations of hundreds of smaller neighborhoods, than they are one large city. Even Detroit; it has it's issues, and it is a large city physically, never struck me the same way as cities like New York, DC, or Philadelphia.

Last edited by goofy328; 06-11-2017 at 10:09 AM..

Old 06-12-2017, 06:34 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,613,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Yes,Mobile,Columbus(Ga),Montgomery,Huntsville,Augu sta, and etc are all in the same tier. Though Mobile feels bigger and more urban .

I would take Augusta out of that tier and maybe Huntsville too. Augusta has nearly 600,000 people in it's metro and Huntsville will be at 500,000 in probably another 15 years or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City