Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area is superior?
L.A. Live 19 36.54%
Yonge-Dundas Square 33 63.46%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 10:54 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,327,907 times

Advertisements

After reading the (IMO ridiculous) thread comparing Times Square to L.A. Live, I figured that, albeit interesting, there was no way you could possibly argue any public area beats New York City's Times Square. Certainly nothing in Los Angeles or anywhere else in the country. I then realized a worthy comparison to L.A. Live actually does exist in North America with Toronto's Yonge-Dundas Square.

Both L.A. Live and Yonge-Dundas Square are entertainment complexes and public squares anchored by massive LED displays, housing towers, hotels, theatres, shopping centers, television studios and restaurants. The two are on a similar scale, offering variants of the same amenities in two very different cities. I think these two are fair to compare.

Which one is superior and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 12:14 AM

8,873 posts, read 6,885,926 times
Dundas Square is a nexus of the city, possibly its #1 nexus. LA Live is a development, and one that's struggling.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:54 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,975,458 times
See the thing with L.A. Live is that it is still rather new. It's only like a decade or so old, if even that, so it is still developing as it goes. The area around L.A. Live needs stronger infill, a lot of it is happening right now as we speak and this should add more vibrancy and activity to the area if done correctly. I think in another 10 or so years it'll be a pretty active spot, so long as they keep infilling around the area and adding activities that people or tourists alike would want to spend time in.

That being the case though Y-D Square takes this. It's more established and the pedestrian volumes there are pretty large any way you cut it. Y-D Square actually is a pretty thorough destination for tourists. It's also a lot more built up both the actual square itself as well as the surroundings too. It goes without saying, the area has had staying power for quite some time now (decades, in fact) and its been an established destination for people and tourists alike for a very long time. I would say it has a decisive advantage over L.A. Live right now but give L.A. Live another 10-15 years of development and then it could compare better with Y-D Square IMO.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 09-14-2017 at 02:28 PM..

Old 09-14-2017, 02:21 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,243,294 times
Yonge and Dundas in Toronto has been the pedestrian epicentre of the downtown for decades, and like Times Square it has evolved to its present form full of tourist friendly restaurants, movie theatres, mega chain stores and shopping centres around a busy public square only after going through a long period of decline. The area spent most of the 70s, 80s and 90s as a seedy selection of sex shops/magazine stores, strip clubs, adult cinemas, arcades, massage parlours, prostitutes and sketchy stores selling discounted electronics. The area was cleaned up starting in the early 2000s when a number of the old buildings and businesses along the Yonge strip were demolished to make way for the development of the public square (Dundas Square) and adjacent shopping/movie theatre complex, 10 Dundas East. There are still some remnants of its seedy past holding on to this day, but now the few remaining strip clubs and sex shops serve to provide a bit of an edge to all of the otherwise family friendly stores and restaurants that currently dominate the area.

LA Live was built all in one shot in its present form as an entertainment complex and was never the centre of activity in downtown LA that evolved organically in the way Yonge and Dundas in Toronto has.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:12 PM

108 posts, read 130,533 times
As a guy born and raised in Toronto, now living in Los Angeles, here are my thoughts...

Los Angeles is a better city, but LA Live is an afterthought to almost everyone in this city. Nobody makes a conscious effort to go down there unless it's for an event at Staples. In Toronto, they have the Eaton Center at Yonge and Dundas so it's a major difference that way (along with all of the other retail and restaurants in the vicinity). LA Live is just Staples and Restaurants (Convention Center too).

Old 09-14-2017, 09:48 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,665,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
After reading the (IMO ridiculous) thread comparing Times Square to L.A. Live, I figured that, albeit interesting, there was no way you could possibly argue any public area beats New York City's Times Square. Certainly nothing in Los Angeles or anywhere else in the country. I then realized a worthy comparison to L.A. Live actually does exist in North America with Toronto's Yonge-Dundas Square.

Both L.A. Live and Yonge-Dundas Square are entertainment complexes and public squares anchored by massive LED displays, housing towers, hotels, theatres, shopping centers, television studios and restaurants. The two are on a similar scale, offering variants of the same amenities in two very different cities. I think these two are fair to compare.

Which one is superior and why?
I find both meh to be honest. One looks pretty empty (L.A live) and one has too many damn advertisements that'll blind you (Dundas square). I went to L.A live about 5 years ago, I was disappointed but it was still fairly new, for Dundas square, I went last year and I found it... pathetic. It's small, too many screens and not much happening. Sure there's the Eaton centre next to it and all, but the square itself is disappointing.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:07 PM

8,873 posts, read 6,885,926 times
LA Live will never be a crossroads. That's 2/3 of the battle already lost.

The density the area is getting will help, but it's remarkable how little effect big towers can have. Especially residentials. The retail in the other projects might even make them a net negative for LA Live in terms of being easier choices for restaurants etc., except when people are attending events.

Old 09-15-2017, 01:10 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,243,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
I find both meh to be honest. One looks pretty empty (L.A live) and one has too many damn advertisements that'll blind you (Dundas square). I went to L.A live about 5 years ago, I was disappointed but it was still fairly new, for Dundas square, I went last year and I found it... pathetic. It's small, too many screens and not much happening. Sure there's the Eaton centre next to it and all, but the square itself is disappointing.
Other than in the dead of winter, there's almost always something happening in Dundas Square, you just happened to see it on one of those rare times when there wasn't an event taking place.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:02 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,665,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Other than in the dead of winter, there's almost always something happening in Dundas Square, you just happened to see it on one of those rare times when there wasn't an event taking place.

I was there during the Summer, dead atmosphere. It's just too small and disappointing, I much prefer Place Des Arts, that's a success. Dundas square is just, eh... too many screens. It's like they tried hard to rip off times square but failed miserably, maybe they'll improve it soon, but as of now, it's really nothing special.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:16 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,176,703 times
Maybe someone can post some images so we can all have a visual of the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City