Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: best panhandle beach?
Pensacola beach 4 10.81%
Destin beach 18 48.65%
Panama City beach 9 24.32%
Others 6 16.22%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 06:18 PM

345 posts, read 809,789 times

Advertisements

based off the scenery, the water/sand, nearby restaurants, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 07:09 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,287,168 times
None of the above? Or maybe both B and C?

The beaches along Highway 30A are magnificent. Plenty of restaurants, etc. along that stretch that starts east of Sandestin and ends west of Panama City. If you’re wanting lots of hustle and bustle, go with Destin.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:31 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
None of the above? Or maybe both B and C?

The beaches along Highway 30A are magnificent. Plenty of restaurants, etc. along that stretch that starts east of Sandestin and ends west of Panama City. If you’re wanting lots of hustle and bustle, go with Destin.
30A is a blessed alternative to the three choices offered, which are overcrowded and overdeveloped.

I much prefer the lower-key communities like Seaside, Rosemary Beach, Alys Beach, Seagrove Beach, Grayton Beach and Watercolor.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:41 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,249,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
30A is a blessed alternative to the three choices offered, which are overcrowded and overdeveloped.

I much prefer the lower-key communities like Seaside, Rosemary Beach, Alys Beach, Seagrove Beach, Grayton Beach and Watercolor.
Yep, me too. We discovered Seaside in the 90s and have loved it ever since. I don’t like places that are so built up you can’t even see the ocean for all the high rises.

You couldn’t pay me to go to Panama City. It just seems so rundown and seedy. Just my opinion of it. Pensacola and Destin are so crowded.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:27 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post

I’m not sure what your definition of low key is, but 30A is a nightmare in the summer.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:36 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,526 times
Pensacola Beach is the outlier here, and is far less busy than Destin or Panama City Beach though still very busy. If forced, I’d pick Destin. Perdido Key is the other beach in Pensacola and Navarre is on the Fort Walton Beach side of things. I do agree with those saying that the 30A communities are better. They are, however, more expensive and way too congested for my liking.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:36 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,240,837 times
Been to all 3 and voted for Destin....they're all good though.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:20 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
I’m not sure what your definition of low key is, but 30A is a nightmare in the summer.
All things being relative.
At the height of summer, my ultimate Panhandle choice might be Cape San Blas or St. George Island.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:51 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
I used to be very pro-Destin as it seems like the most chill of the bigger panhandle towns, but lately I've become a proponent of Panama City Beach. Particularly the Sunnyside/Laguna Beach area. Amazing sand, clear water, tons of grocery and food options, and you can get a reasonably priced condo on the beach.

It's pretty hard to go wrong at any beach on the panhandle though. It's America's best kept secret.

Last edited by waronxmas; 04-24-2018 at 07:17 AM..

Old 05-21-2018, 12:34 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,410,575 times
Default They are all practically the same

Opal Beach, All of these destinations are basically on the same coast and the same stretch of sand. The only differences are amenities and sand formation or reefs. Otherwise as far as the water and sand they are essentially the same 100 mile long beach. In some areas the sandy reefs go further out into the water and create longer stretch of shallow water.
The shallowness of the water combined with sunshine is what causes that translucent "Emerald" color effect. It is a really cool thing if you have never seen a beach like this before. The most dramatic sand reef "Emerald" affect is found at Destin around Crab Island. Also the water is a bit more shallow from Destin to Panama City so the "Emerald" color can be seen on a bit larger scale . The white "Snow like" sand is the other cool factor on the Emerald Coast. The Sand is about the same anywhere on the Emerald Coast. It looks like snow.
I would say that my favorite place along the Emerald coast is "Opal Beach" found in the "Gulf Islands National Sea Shore" found between Pensacola and Navarre. I absolutely love this stretch of the Emerald coast because of the huge sand dunes and saw grass that span both sides of the highway. The Beaches here always look like they have never been touched and like you just made a discovery. This is a must see. you can also camp on the beach in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City