Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is more culturally aligned with Chicago?
Central Illinois 9 14.52%
Southern Wisconsin 48 77.42%
Southwest Michigan 5 8.06%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 09:39 PM

613 posts, read 327,522 times

Advertisements

Central Illinois (Champaign-Urbana home of the Fighting Illini and Springfield home of the capital of Illinois, the only one of the three to share the same state as Chicago) vs Southern Wisconsin (Milwaukee and Madison, plenty of Cubs fans invade Miller Park yearly and has a lot of transplants from Chicago) vs Southwest Michigan (Battle Creek, Grand Rapids, Benton Harbor, Lake Michigan coast part is especially known for being popular among Chicagoland tourists)

I went with Southern Wisconsin

Last edited by illadelph73; 12-05-2022 at 09:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2022, 04:24 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Basically just the area from Milwaukee south along Lake Michigan through NW IN to SW Michigan. The rest of the regions of IL, WI, and MI are their own things, except for the Chicagoland-based student populations in Champaign-Urbana and Madison, and maybe the government workers in Springfield (but even that’s a stretch).

Old 12-06-2022, 06:30 AM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Definitely Wisconsin IMO. SW Michigan does get a lot of Chicago tourists and people having second homes there, but it's too rural and not ethnic-white enough. Milwaukee, Janesville, Beloit, and up through Sheboygan and Manitowoc have a more blue-collar Chicagoland-like feel, with lots of German culture, Polish, Italians, etc., while Madison is more like white-collar Chicagoland.

Old 12-06-2022, 07:48 AM

1,348 posts, read 880,768 times
Southeast Wisconsin by far. However Madison feels more like Minneapolis to me.

Old 12-06-2022, 07:58 AM

9,979 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Central Illinois, though mostly because of all the Chicago-area kids who attend the various colleges downstate -- the rest of Illinois south of I-80 wants nothing to do with Chicago.

Southern Wisconsin is a tempting response especially with Kenosha being "officially" considered part of the Chicago MSA (though IMO they're more Milwaukee-oriented culturally), but any further west than Walworth County and Chicago is rarely thought of as anything more than a source of nuisance traffic on its way to various vacation spots.

Old 12-06-2022, 08:32 PM

146 posts, read 152,229 times
Milwaukee is literally just Chicago's little brother.

Old 12-08-2022, 10:47 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,393,276 times
As a Chicagoan I love Milwaukee and visit maybe twice a year. Most of Milwaukee always felt to me like a blue collar extension of Chicago’s Northside.

Old 12-10-2022, 06:21 PM

644 posts, read 1,018,415 times
Just basing my answer on vacationing in Union Pier/New Buffalo..SW MI.

Old 12-11-2022, 06:40 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,387,320 times
For NW Indiana not to be included in the poll, do you consider it part of the Chicagoland area and thus too close? IF it was included in the poll , it would be my choice.

Old 12-11-2022, 07:34 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Definitely Wisconsin IMO. SW Michigan does get a lot of Chicago tourists and people having second homes there, but it's too rural and not ethnic-white enough. Milwaukee, Janesville, Beloit, and up through Sheboygan and Manitowoc have a more blue-collar Chicagoland-like feel, with lots of German culture, Polish, Italians, etc., while Madison is more like white-collar Chicagoland.
Yeah, I’d probably say southeastern WI is most culturally aligned with Chicagoland. All of southern WI, no. Anything west of Lake Geneva loses any major similarity. It’s really just Milwaukee MSA.

This won’t be received well by Chicagoans, but I’d almost argue that southeastern Michigan is the best comparison when comparing overall environment. E.g. the Detroit MSA is far more similar to Chicagoland than any city and metro in the Great Lakes region outside of Milwaukee. I think a lot of that stems from growth period, and its relative position on Lake St. Clair. That, and there is a lot of parody between suburbs in general. Places like the Grosse Pointes could easily be compared to the north shore suburbs, while Birmingham could easily be compared to villages like Hinsdale. Even Bloomfield/Rochester/Auburn Hills could be confused with the Barringtons. And culturally, they’re reallllyyyy not that far off in the grand scheme of the United States.

Last edited by mwj119; 12-11-2022 at 07:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City