Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2010, 07:21 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,993,079 times

Advertisements

Okay - I have a question and it isn't to start some Houston vs. Dallas debate but a real question. I love Houston so I'm not knocking our city or putting the "D" above it.

What is it about Dallas that makes it look so much cleaner than Houston from the initial drive through on any of their freeways? If you are just on the major freeways - Dallas appears cleaner and less neglected (at least it did so to me). I had business there so didn't really drive into areas outside of where I needed to be so was mainly on freeways or a mile or two off of them. I am sure as any big city, it has its good areas and bad areas but I just really didn't see them. Even the areas that looked a bit bad from the freeway, didn't look as bad as what I see from Houston's freeways. Why is that? I asked a friend and he said it appeared the same to him as well.

Another co-worker said Dallas was too plain for him -- said that he really never saw any black or hispanic people there because Dallas really stays pretty segregated. I saw black, white and hispanic while there so I have no idea what he is talking about or where he was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 07:32 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,489,277 times
It's the location of their airport. Burbia blew up around it. Billboard restrictions, stucco strip malls, etc.So you get this "good impression" right off the bat. Houston's airport is in an area where no one wants to live. You drive to Kingwood, The Woodlands or into the city for the closest desirable areas.

Also, Houston has more areas of "lower income" single family Homes sprinkled through. Pockets of "nice" wedged in areas of not so nice. Dallas has the exclusive areas and tons of burbs. It's lower income/Lack of HOA areas seem to be strictly to the south of Dallas. Going along North on Central Express way is very similar to Going due west on I-10 from the loop to Katy. When they expanded the freeway, we lost most of the billboards,and there's not many junkie strip malls left along there. 45 and 59 are loaded with ugly.

I always termed Dallas "The Concrete City" when I lived there. Other than the areas of the Park Cities and White Rock, it was a treeless plain of concrete to me. I like Dallas, I'm just happy to be living in a forest.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 01-17-2010 at 07:41 AM..

Old 01-17-2010, 09:23 AM

1,164 posts, read 2,058,776 times
Upon first sight, along the freeways out in suburbia, the two cities look pretty much the same. Mesquite, Garland, Irving, Arlington don't look much different than what you find along some sections of Houston freeways. Neither does Plano and Frisco look much different from the freeways than Katy, Sugar Land or the Woodlands. My parents, when visiting my aunt in Frisco or me in Clear Lake, think of Dallas and Houston as virtual, interchangeable replicas of one another. They call both 'concrete cities.'

Old 01-17-2010, 09:32 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Upon first sight, along the freeways out in suburbia, the two cities look pretty much the same. Mesquite, Garland, Irving, Arlington don't look much different than what you find along some sections of Houston freeways. Neither does Plano and Frisco look much different from the freeways than Katy, Sugar Land or the Woodlands. My parents, when visiting my aunt in Frisco or me in Clear Lake, think of Dallas and Houston as virtual, interchangeable replicas of one another. They call both 'concrete cities.'
Frisco and Clear Lake???? No way.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:26 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,830,855 times
We would be a whole lot prettier if they had never built all the feeder roads on the freeways.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:56 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,916 times
From a business traveler perspective, have always viewed Dallas and Houston as rather similar in basic looks/culture/ethos/economy....same efficient, decentralized suburban sprawl model of LA or SiliconValley or Chicago's NorthShore/DuPage suburban office corridors or NYC's NJ/CT suburban office corridors

HighlandPark is much like BevHills: big new houses on mockably puny lots and plenty of slums (and crime) bordering HP on nearly any side except North

PrestonHollow is more elegant appearing than RiverOaks, largely because more newer homes (esp ParkLane) are on wooded >2 acre lots...part of City of Dallas, though suburban-appearing....and people hire private security and send rugrats to private schools, much as in RiverOaks

Nearly all the key offices are in CrescentCourt/Irving/Plano, not really in downtown, sort of like Hou's Galleria/EC concentrations....and key offices are convenient to suburban areas where most execs live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City