Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Classified Ads
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2022, 05:59 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times

Advertisements

https://www.spareroom.com/roommate/i...ce_low_to_high
does not sound cheap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2022, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendaraven View Post
Here's a site you may want to check out: https://www.padsplit.com/
interesting,but is the area safe,and what about housemates?

Old 09-02-2022, 07:36 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,330,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
can he stay with you while searching?
No, we are both moving. The property is being turned into a short term rental for out of town visitors. I have been doing all I can to help him.

Old 09-02-2022, 08:24 PM

9,524 posts, read 16,505,688 times
Since this is a Senior almost 80 years old being put out on the street after 30 years in his home. Then I would take drastic action. I would contact both the local Senior Services Dept in the region where you are. Explain to them this man is being put out of his home though no fault of his own, due to the owner converting the property to another form of housing. If I got no help from that agency then I would really take drastic measures.

I would then get in contact with the TV stations in that area. I can almost guarantee they will be interested in this story as a Human Interest segment on their newcast. Televising this to the public most certainly will get offers for housing for this poor man. I have seen this type situation before on TV, as this horrible housing crisis takes over the whole USA. Really taking this action may be the only way to help this man. Don't be embarrassed or nervous in doing this at this point in time. That poor man will be living in his van if something isn't done.

Please let us know how things work out for him and yourself for that matter. You must be having your own difficulty also. It's very kind of you to help this poor man out like this.

Old 09-02-2022, 08:57 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,330,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Since this is a Senior almost 80 years old being put out on the street after 30 years in his home. Then I would take drastic action. I would contact both the local Senior Services Dept in the region where you are. Explain to them this man is being put out of his home though no fault of his own, due to the owner converting the property to another form of housing. If I got no help from that agency then I would really take drastic measures.

I would then get in contact with the TV stations in that area. I can almost guarantee they will be interested in this story as a Human Interest segment on their newcast. Televising this to the public most certainly will get offers for housing for this poor man. I have seen this type situation before on TV, as this horrible housing crisis takes over the whole USA. Really taking this action may be the only way to help this man. Don't be embarrassed or nervous in doing this at this point in time. That poor man will be living in his van if something isn't done.

Please let us know how things work out for him and yourself for that matter. You must be having your own difficulty also. It's very kind of you to help this poor man out like this.
I have not contacted senior services, but I did contact the city's Fair Housing Office and explained our situation. The man with whom I spoke told me that we should each send the landlord a letter asking for a reasonable accommodation for more time to find a place and move based on our ages and health. I followed though on this advice and sent a letter via certified mail in early August. The landlord never responded. My neighbour would not send a letter. I think he is afraid to stand up for himself, afraid of what further retaliation the landlord might make. He has not taken care of maintenance save for big emergency items since before Covid.

Anyway, I told the man at the Fair Housing office that there has been no reply to my letter. He advised me to now file a formal complaint with their office. I have not done so because their complaint form states that all they do is act as a mediator. The landlord is not open to mediation. He wants both of us out yesterday. I will be going to court over this soon. I wish my neighbour would stand up for himself and at least do what the Fair Housing office suggested, but I cannot force him. I think he is afraid the landlord will not give him a good reference if he tries to stand up for himself. I understand his fear. The people with the money have the power, and often standing up to them causes more harm to the person who stands up to them.

You are correct though that in two more weeks, my neighbour will be living out of his vehicle, and I may be in the same position myself as I have not found another property. I do have one thing on the horizon that might work out for me, but I will not know more about that for at least another full week. We are in a terrible situation, a true crisis. The landlord knows exactly what we are facing, and he simply does not care. I am still in shock that this is happening to us. He is putting two seniors in poor health on the street in a middle of a pandemic knowing better than most people just how bad the housing market is right now.

Funnily enough, the landlord's middle initial is E. I think it must stand for Ebenezer.

Last edited by PhinneyWalker; 09-02-2022 at 09:22 PM..

Old 09-03-2022, 07:29 AM

Is this a new landlord,meaning he just acquired the property from previous owner,if so,he has urgent need to bring in some rental income to pay his bills?
I was looking up rooms for rent using the links provided in this thread,there are rooms in Fortworth,Dallas and Houston,around $150/month.
Have you contacted your local congress or senator office,someone once told me they have a lot of information on file on housing,food,medical services?or even AARP?

Old 09-03-2022, 07:32 AM

I run my errands in Houston,I see motels along highway weekly rental ,there must be some in your city.
I also shop at ethnic supermarkets and I see postings of room for rent,usually a family wants to rent out a room .

Old 09-03-2022, 05:21 PM

2,910 posts, read 1,358,282 times
Your landlord doesn't want you two to know this, but you can stay around for another month or two before the sheriff will come knocking. Evictions take time, even in Texas. You have time to look for a new place.

Meanwhile, I will DM you some possible options for finding a new place.

Old 09-09-2022, 06:17 PM

185 posts, read 114,092 times
OP, can he afford a senior apartment or a senior living center/community center of some kind? I realize some of them can be expensive but there must be some that are affordable and/or rent-controlled? I'd help you search but I have a super consuming day job and I'm really worn out lately.

Here's another site to look into - it says it's for nurses but maybe there are some exceptions:
https://www.furnishedfinder.com/

Old 09-10-2022, 12:39 PM

185 posts, read 114,092 times
What about any friends, relatives, family? Does he have any he can stay with temporarily till he gets back on his feet?

Another thought: try contacting local social services and see if they can do anything to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Classified Ads